This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...29&Order=PRICE
    It always pays to do a little price comprison here and there. You're in the market for at least 1, but up to 3 of them. Figure price + shipping vs. what the store has. Most of the stuff sold by NewEgg (not 3rd parties) is free shipping.

Comment

Thanks; I really appreciate that. The thing is, I've lived in Europe for some years now, and electronics are among the pricier items in this country. My best choice is to go back to the store where I got the first one. As it happens, they are on sale; I just didn't know it at the time.

Comment

By the way, this is the one I got:

Kingston 4GB DDR3L 1600MHz CL11 Dual Voltage (DE536d6)

Comment

Yep, that's distinctly different than the stock RAM. The original chips are 2GB DDR3 1333MHz, or half the capacity each, and a bit slower. The DDR3L is a newer, version that has the option to run at a lower voltage, using less power overall. They'll work in the same slots, but might not play well with the older sticks. The computer will *usually* just handle everything at the speed the slowest part can handle, but... sometimes doesn't work right.

For best results, just replace the 2 originals with the newer sticks, using the same slots. When funds permit, add the other 2 sticks at the same time. (Go from 2 sticks to 4 sticks, not 2-3-4) You'll notice the difference going from 4 to 8GB of RAM. It's a significant jump. For real memory hogs like I tend to use, the jump from 8 to 16 is really nice.
          Last edited by Buzzard; 07-27-2019, 01:33 PM. Reason: DDR3L info added.

Comment

Buzzard, thank you!

I bought another stick today (exactly the same kind), brought it home, inserted both, and turned on the computer.

One more hissy fit.

I removed both sticks, turned the computer on again, and came here to see what the latest advice is. And I found your recommendation of REPLACING the old memory with the new.

This may be my only hope. Maybe the old memory doesn't work or play well with the new.

Out with the old memory, in with the new - in the same slots, as you suggested.

Now. Just on the off-chance that this doesn't work, what should I try?
            Last edited by Eireann; 07-27-2019, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Silly question, did you make sure your system was capable of handling more RAM? Also, some systems are finicky about memory speeds, and although the DIMMs are supposed to work at lower clock rates the motherboard doesn't like it. You might need to find sticks with the same speed.

Comment

Memory will *usually* underclock easily enough. That particular machine is specced to handle 4x4GB sticks. The 'stock' (read: cheap) memory from the factory is 1333Mhz, where this new stuff is a little bump up to 1600. Mixing the two sets, old and new, with the different capacities and speeds didn't work out so well, so we's waiting to hear what happens with stuffing JUST the new stuff in.

Comment

It didn't work.

I unplugged the computer, took off the cover, and took out the old memory sticks. I then inserted the new ones, making sure that they were seated correctly. I then put the cover back on, plugged in the computer, and turned it on.

It went into a cycle of rebooting and rebooting some more. It flashed the "Starting Automatic Repair" sign, which I now dread. It gave me that bit about how my computer needed to be restarted. I've been through this before.

Unplug, cover off, memory sticks in the OTHER ports. I hoped that might work. Cover on, plug in, power on.

Well. The computer just panicked at that one. A red light began to flash, and it beeped several beeps in a row, then several more beeps. I couldn't turn it off; I had to unplug it again.

Now, it's back on the same old, tired memory.

What the flaming FUCK can be done here?

Comment

I don't believe this! I found the solution!

I was looking for advice on adding RAM when I stumbled across this page:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10...using-all-ram/

It's fabulous. Filled with pictures (which is important for me; I need to see how something is done) and several different solutions.

I did Solution 2. I tried to do Solution 6, but couldn't find any of the mentioned settings in BIOS. Then I did Solution 7.

I suspect that Solution 7 is what saved the day; I don't know. The point is, I made the changes last night, then restarted so that they could take effect. I was too tired to try inserting the RAM again, so I unplugged the computer and went to bed.

About an hour ago, I turned on the computer and it did its usual stuff, then a blue screen appeared and the words "Please wait" appeared. I didn't feel like sitting there staring at the screen, so I went into the bedroom and read for about twenty minutes.

When I came back out, there it was! The initial screen was on, waiting for me to enter my password.

Oh, by the way, I put the RAM in the open slots, rather than removing the old sticks and putting the RAM in those slots. I now have 12GB of RAM, which I know, because I checked the settings.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help, and I hope that by posting that link, I've done something helpful for all of you!

Comment

Nifty. Now I get more things I can learn. I always say that the day I don't learn anything is the day the put me to bed with a shovel.

Comment

Working...
                      X