This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Office and new Mac Mini

I figured I might as well buy the newest version of Microsoft Office ... will it overwrite the old one (which was transferred over from my old Mac Mini) or do I have to delete the old program myself?

Thanks.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

It should overwrite, but I'm not sure the latest version even supports the most modern Macs; assuming it still works, you'd do as well to keep what you have until Office 2019 gets released.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Okay, thanks.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I needed to access Microsoft Excel so opted to try a new version of Microsoft Office ASAP ... and I can neither instal it nor dump the TWO older versions of the program because I can't figure out the admin username and password for my damn computer.

That is to say, I know the password is correct, so apparently I am using the wrong username.

I will have to take the machine back to the store so they can sort it. I plan to ask them to remove the password protection. I live on the 14th floor of a 'secure' apartment building, and this is a desktop computer, so unless my cats learn to go online (with my credit card ...) I see no reason to have this particular device password-protected.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

1: They can't remove the requirement for that password. It's a core function of all *nix-based OSes.

2: Your normal username/password should be what it wants, unless you've specifically created a User-level account and logged into that instead. Depending on which version of MacOS is installed, the top-level Root account may not have a password set but it's a bad idea to install anything while logged in at that level because it'll have way too much access to the file system and you might not be able to run the program without also logging in as root every time which is a massive security risk.

3: Hackers don't care what floor you live on, they climb in through the phone lines.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Last I looked, the only option for Macs was Office365, which is subscription-based and may require an internet connection while you are using it.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X