This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veiwing last page on larger threads

I had noticed this a couple other times before I joined when I was just viewing threads, but sometimes on larger threads it won't let me see the last page. It seems to be transient, as if I try the same thread another day it's no longer a problem. At the current time the thread started by mathnerd in off topic 'douchebag ruins our evening' I can read to end of the 10th page, when I click for the 11th page it reloads the 10th page again (and again). I know it has done this in past on 'fun song game' in the games forum and a couple others I can't recall at the moment.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

I've noticed that too, a couple of times. I always thought it was weird.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

It's an artifarkt caused by deleted/hidden posts.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

dalesys is correct.

When a thread gets deleted, this board has a feature where it is only soft deleted. It still remains in the queue, but is hidden from sight, in case a moderator wishes to restore it at some point, or we need to take a peek at it again down the road.

There are also a lot of hidden threads that have been unapproved by the mods, pending discussion and awaiting reapproval or removal, and they also stay in the queue.

This causes the small discrepancy in post and page counts listed, and in what actually shows up.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

So if I understand correctly there is nothing on the last page for me to see so it won't load for me, but the last page is listed on the page navigation part because it exists with held/deleted/hidden posts. So I am reading to the end of the thread, that is actually posted.

If I am still not getting it, sorry, some of the technical stuff goes over my head.
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Yes, that is correct.

If it says there is a 10th page, but you can only get to the end of page 9, then chances are, the thread has had deleted or moderated posts. They still count as posts and add to the page count until and unless they are hard deleted, but they do not open for viewing.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Ah, now I understand. I did wonder.
              In Forum Runner it gives an error message. Then I will need to wait until I get home.

Comment

I've run into this a few times, but only when the forum page shows that the thread has a multiple of 20 replies (I'm set up for 20 posts/page). Since that count doesn't include the starting post, it means the thread has 20n+1 posts, so the final page would have only 1 post on it.

From the description here, if one post in the thread is hidden, that would mean 20n visible posts (instead of the reported 20n+1), leading it to re-load the last FULL page when hitting the button for the page that I'm expecting to have a single post.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  Yes, that is correct.

If it says there is a 10th page, but you can only get to the end of page 9, then chances are, the thread has had deleted or moderated posts. They still count as posts and add to the page count until and unless they are hard deleted, but they do not open for viewing.
                  I would call that a bug in vBulletin. Users should see "9 pages", mods etc. should see something like "9 pages (N deleted posts)" or similar.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Might be fixed for newer versions of VB. Not upgraded yet and no plans to immediately. V4 was flaky to start with. There's also a large amount of background work involved.

Rapscallion

Comment

I'd always been curious about that "glitch." Nice to finally know why it happens.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                      X