X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Little Annoyances

Assistance
    To some of the customers,
    I'm not a stalker or a creep. I'm an employee performing my duties which is to aid you while shopping. While I do get commission, my main concern is to prevent you from destroying everything with your grubby hands. We don't have magical folding fairies, so every pile of shirts you destroy adds another ten minutes of unnecessary work. And please don't try to put things back yourself either; it just compounds the problem.

Stock
    Just because we are out of one product in your size does not equate to our store not really catering to big and tall. Your size is the most common for our customers and it's after 3 major sales from the holidays, deal with it.

District
    To the district manager, please stop coming to our store all the time. While you can be helpful, mostly you are like a wrench in a functioning machine.

Corporate
    I don't care what you have to do, but find a way to let people know where our store is. After almost two years, the store gets too many calls as to where it is located. Worse yet, the older location a 1/2 mile down the street still pops up as our current location.

Also, start using actual big and tall guys in the catalogs. 6' 2" 180lbs is not that big or tall; it's probably at most 15% of our clientele, but likely closer to 8%. Of all the models used, I've only seen one guy that looks like a majority of our customers.

A Positive

Good Customers
    Please keep coming back. You make this job worth the aching feet and uncomfortable clothes. The only condition is you have to stay good.
    "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Forgot one:

Discounts
    I'm sorry that you left your magical world of 80% off discounts for just being super. But in this reality at our store it can't be done. It's not poor customer service, it's called we're not losing our job just to make you happy.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
      Assistance

Also, start using actual big and tall guys in the catalogs. 6' 2" 180lbs is not that big or tall; it's probably at most 15% of our clientele, but likely closer to 8%. Of all the models used, I've only seen one guy that looks like a majority of our customers.
      That is one of my pet peeves. I'm a larger woman (shall we say "full-figured" ). I hate looking at an ad or catalog for a store that caters to larger women, and seeing the clothes all modeled by size 10's. Of course the clothes look good on them, anything looks good on them - I want to see how they look on someone who might actually be one of your customers. I also hate walking into a shop that only carries larger sizes, and seeing that the store obviously doesn't hire anyone who could actually wear the clothes they sell. Do they really think larger people are all so stupid we believe that if we buy their clothes we'll look just like the models/clerks who are several sizes smaller

No offense to size 10's, but we're not really looking for the same things in clothing styles

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
        Assistance
        And please don't try to put things back yourself either; it just compounds the problem.
        Oh, shoot. If I ever get out a shirt from the pile and I don't like it after unfolding it, I always try and fold it and put it back where it came from. I will admit that I am not nearly as good as folding the shirts all pretty as the people that work there, but I always thought I was being nice. What is the best thing to do with the shirt if I decide I don't want it?

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          That is one of my pet peeves. I'm a larger woman (shall we say "full-figured" ). I hate looking at an ad or catalog for a store that caters to larger women, and seeing the clothes all modeled by size 10's. Of course the clothes look good on them, anything looks good on them - I want to see how they look on someone who might actually be one of your customers. I also hate walking into a shop that only carries larger sizes, and seeing that the store obviously doesn't hire anyone who could actually wear the clothes they sell. Do they really think larger people are all so stupid we believe that if we buy their clothes we'll look just like the models/clerks who are several sizes smaller

No offense to size 10's, but we're not really looking for the same things in clothing styles
          This is why I like Fashion Bug. Some of the sales women at my local store are fuller-figured, so they can recommend styles.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth notlovinit
            What is the best thing to do with the shirt if I decide I don't want it?
            I prefer that the customers hand the item to me then I can fold the way we do. I'm sure some people can match how we fold, I've just found that they aren't the ones shopping when I'm working.

Comment

Out of curiosity ... do you work in a fairly small place, where employees can give most customers a fair amount of personal attention?

Just asking, because for the past few years I've been shopping at mid-sized and large 'box' stores, and if I want to hand items back to staff for them to fold, I'll be standing there a long, long time. So yeah, I do try to fold items so they look at least reasonably similar to the rest in the pile.

Comment

My husband is 6' 1" and weighs in the neighborhood of 250 lbs...he is a bit overweight and mostly in areas you might expect for a man in his mid- to late-40s, but mostly the issue for him is that he's all torso. He can wear jeans with a 32" inseam, sometimes even 30", but he has been going to big and tall shops for shirts, sweaters, etc. That way if he raises his arms his shirt still covers his belly. People are all built differently...someone else his exact height and weight may very well be able to wear regular men's shirts, but people should know what they need for themselves and where to get it...at least I think so
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  A few of the "larger size" sites now do put on the bottom of the listing what height the model is and what size they are wearing. What always confuses me is that a site claiming to cater to size 16+ then (although their sister site caters to the lower sizes as well) then uses a size 10 model who is over 6'. It really gives me no idea what fit that item is going to be.

I bought a dress off there before I realised it had those on it and thought that it was going to reach just under the knee... no.. its mid calf - the model they had it on was 6'3". With jumpers etc I have the opposite thing - due to cleavage they are too short.

Even if they don't want to use a large size person in the photos could they at least use a size 12/14 5ft person as an alternative picture?

(All sizes in UK not US btw!)
                  Last edited by Gizmo; 01-17-2012, 08:52 AM.
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Ah, yes, the 'fat' models. Fat, as in 130 pounds.

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                      Ah, yes, the 'fat' models. Fat, as in 130 pounds.
                      And 6' 6".
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I qualified for big and tall at 6'0" 305lbs. Now, even though I am 6' I can find my clothing just about anywhere anymore. No longer a gentle giant am I. Still slightly tall, but do not need specialty shops..sorry got a little off topic.

As for models. Everybody's idea of sexy differs. Some of the models I would be afraid I would break them if I moved wrong..heaven help them if I tripped and fell on them...wouldn't be enough left of them to get up with a squeege.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

To Pixilated:

Yes the store I work at is small enough to give customers personal attention. I could probably see the whole store from one location, were it not for the fitting rooms being in the way.

Comment

Haha, Sears' idea of a man's XXL barely fits my brother, who is about 6'1-6'2 and about 220 (NOT fat or even really that large, just tall and manly looking). Dad is about 6'4 and 300 pounds, which sure, he's a chunker, but a man's XXL should be Dad's size. Not brother's size. And Sears' XXL was bigger than any other stores.

Sue me, I'm cheap. I didn't want to go to the real Fat Tall Man store and pay twice as much for the same shirt.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                            X