Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent "check it out" obituaries (present and absent)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent "check it out" obituaries (present and absent)

Recently, "check it out" has had a thread about the last Japanese WW2 soldier to surrender. On the other hand, a couple "big names" (former head of state in Israel, and small-arms designer in Russia) didn't show up. My understanding is that the soldier, being newsworthy as a member of a class rather than through individual actions (junior officers don't make decisions as to whether or not to start a war), is less controversial than the other two (who would likely be Fratching topics) - in any case, the head of state and the small-arms designer are too far in the past to be worth starting a thread.

Also, it's my understanding that SOME people, while controversial, are newsworthy enough to get into "check it out" (e.g. Nelson Mandela).

Just to get a feel for things, would the following be considered appropriate for "check it out"?

- Designer of another historically-significant piece of military hardware
    - Last D-day veteran (and would it matter which country he fought for? After all, an enlisted man or a junior officer would merely have been told "Defend this beach")
    - Last concentration camp survivor (due to the nature of the "class", I'd consider this one to be Fratching material)
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.
Working...
X