Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did he start this kind of behavior shortly after he retired? I ask because this is kind of common - esp. with single men. All of a sudden they are dumped into retirement and lose social contacts and a sense of doing something that means something / has a purpose. I think he is doing all this fussing about with his money to be doing something and to have social contact.
    Would he consider setting up a tuition account for his nephew? Isn't there a tax break for doing that - it would be a win/win. He gets to do all kinds of research and talking to you guys about it and the gov'mint won't get any more in taxes from him.

Comment

Maybe he can get a tax break for donating some to charity? If so, tell him that ^_^

As for the death thing -- yeah, iirc, at least in the US, it goes to provable next-of-kin, but if there is no will *at all*, the tax rate is something egregious...Something like 60% "death tax". With a will, the tax is much lower.

For the record, please, no debating on whether or not we should be paying taxes (after death) on money we already paid tax on while alive >_>
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
        Did he start this kind of behavior shortly after he retired?
        I have no idea. He retired before I started working at the bank. But, yeah, I get the impression that part of the reason he comes into the bank so often is to socialize. As I mentioned above, he always has some sort of story to tell (often the same one over and over). He came in Friday to check on one of his other accounts and told me about being an MP while stationed in Italy during the 50s.

Would he consider setting up a tuition account for his nephew? Isn't there a tax break for doing that - it would be a win/win. He gets to do all kinds of research and talking to you guys about it and the gov'mint won't get any more in taxes from him.
        The nephew's in his 40s, I think, but even if he were school age, I doubt Chuck would go for it. He's already said that his nephew doesn't "deserve" the money.

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Maybe he can get a tax break for donating some to charity? If so, tell him that ^_^
        Yeah, I've mentioned that. But it seems like he doesn't want to give his money away any more than he wants to spend it. I keep suggesting that he make out a will (and perhaps leave the money to charity), but I doubt he will, since it would require paying an attorney to make out the will.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
          Sooooo . . . He's looking for a wife, is he?
          Wait, I saw him first ...

Well, Ghel, it sounds like you have already gone over and above your job description and he's just not listening (or not hearing). He sounds eccentric for sure but not actually senile. I understand the Depression mentality but he seems to have really taken it to extremes.

However, it's his money ...

Comment

Working...
          X