This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll admit it, I lied to a customer once

Okay so this preteen girl walks up to my counter with a GIGANTIC ziploc bag full of change and wants to trade it out for bills. Now, I know what you're thinking. Any business is not going to do that. Not even banks do that. They make you roll it yourself or if you're lucky they have a coin sorting machine you can use.

Nope, not my work. My work encourages us to do whatever the customer wants so that we don't get 1-800 complaints. I'm pretty sure this is my owner being a dipshit and not the entire corporation, but I don't know.

So I look at this huge bag of change that she wants me to not only count and sort into paper money for her, but also have to re-count when I count down the drawer for the night and I say, "Nope, I'm sorry. I cannot open the drawer without a sale."

She replies, "But *coworkers name* has done it for me before." Shit, she called me out on my lie. How do I get out of this? I know! Add more lies to it.

"Oh, well *coworkers name* is actually the store manager and she can open the tills without a sale. I'm not allowed to."

She says, "Oh, ok." and leaves.

SUCCESS!!! Now... what other lies can I get away with?

Bwahaha, I lie often, too. Makes my life easier.

Quoth notlovinit View Post
    Okay so this preteen girl walks up to my counter with a GIGANTIC ziploc bag full of change and wants to trade it out for bills. Now, I know what you're thinking. Any business is not going to do that. Not even banks do that. They make you roll it yourself or if you're lucky they have a coin sorting machine you can use.

Nope, not my work. My work encourages us to do whatever the customer wants so that we don't get 1-800 complaints. I'm pretty sure this is my owner being a dipshit and not the entire corporation, but I don't know.
    I started to read.

Went "haha, no way, she's out of there." Then "yup, that's what I'm thing" which then went to "omfg, no." and ended with "wtf kind of policy is that?".

Do a lot of people bring in their change to you guys? I get annoyed when people pay me with lots of coins already. I can't imagine if I had to sort through bags of the stuff

Comment

I always told my clerks to tell the truth and make me the badguy:

Clerk: "That customer wants to sell me like eight bucks in pennies! What do I do?"
      Me: "Tell them that you can't."
      Clerk: "But what do I say?"
      Me: "Tell them that if you have a bunch of change in your drawer, I'll suspect that you're skimming and you could lose your job"
      Clerk: "Okay, that works... hey!"
      Last edited by Raveni; 01-13-2012, 02:22 AM. Reason: s

Comment

Went "haha, no way, she's out of there." Then "yup, that's what I'm thing" which then went to "omfg, no." and ended with "wtf kind of policy is that?".
        Another reason I hate my DM - she will tell us in no uncertain terms that we do not have to do this. However, if a customer complains about it to the office or the 1800 number we will get bitched at and told "It will only take a minute. Just do it. Make the customer happy. I don't care if they weren't going to buy anything and not technically a customer. If you make them unhappy, they will tell everyone and then no one will come to our store. Etc Etc."

Do a lot of people bring in their change to you guys?
        It happens pretty often, but not on a day to day basis and usually it's only a dollar or two so I don't mind much, but I'm sure if people knew they could take a gigantic bag of change and have us sort it and exchange it for them it would happen all the time.

Comment

Another reason I hate my DM - she will tell us in no uncertain terms that we do not have to do this. However, if a customer complains about it to the office or the 1800 number we will get bitched at and told "It will only take a minute. Just do it. Make the customer happy. I don't care if they weren't going to buy anything and not technically a customer. If you make them unhappy, they will tell everyone and then no one will come to our store. Etc Etc."
          Am I reading this correctly? Is the manager that's bitching the same one who told you you didn't have to do it?

Comment

Wow! That was a close one! I was expecting her to pitch a fit, but I guess she realizes that managers can do things that their employees would get yelled at for doing. Disaster averted!

Comment

We have to take the change. Banks close at 4:30 and don't open weekends. So if a customer comes in with a bag of coins, we say yes.

Comment

If you make them unhappy, they will tell everyone and then no one will come to our store.
                I know that there is SOME percentage of "sheeple" in the population of the world, but seriously - no one is going to come to your particular Big Mac Heaven because you wouldn't allow some kid to dump all her change on you and get bills back? Uhhhh, I doubt it. When I wants me some of those fries, I don't care which store I go to, as long as it's close by.
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

I don't mind sorting change for people if it's only a couple dollars. However, if they brought in a gigantic bag of change (we're talking $20+ in pennies, nickels, and dimes), I'd have to turn them away.

Comment

I had a customer phone wanting to buy two prepaid mobile phones with coins (luckily that includes $1 and $2 coins). The cashier was happy to take the money so i told the customer to come in. The customer brought in a box with a few notes and lots of coins. The cashier and I helped the customer count up the correct amount of coins and then sent them on their way. Apparently the girls who do the deposits at the end of the day were not happy to have to count a very large stack of coins.

I have paid for $200 worth of meat for a club function with $2 coins. The butcher was happy to take them as they were bagged, it was Friday night before a long weekend and I asked nicely.

Comment

I'm sure if people knew they could take a gigantic bag of change and have us sort it and exchange it for them it would happen all the time.
                      That's exactly why not to do it. They're worried about word getting around because you say "no" to an unreasonable request. But that works two ways.

They need to worry more about what happens if word gets around that you'll say "yes" to unreasonable requests.
                      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Here at the bank, we had to start asking customers NOT to roll their coin before bringing it in. We were getting too many complaints from business customer that the coin they bought from us was shorted or had buttons in them.

We also charge to count non-customer coin (even though we have a machine), so we don't get as much as we used to.
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

In the office at work we've got the coin counter for deposits, but the people on the desk who count out the drawer at close have to do it the old fashioned way. Some people just leave all the change in there for the next day (rinse and repeat), but it usually doesn't become an issue. Having small change is good when your most frequent charge is 10 cents

Got rid of a lot of my change at the self checkout at the grocery store. The machine doesn't mind and I try to only do large amounts of coins if no one's behind me.

And of course I hoard quarters for the bus and for laundry.

Comment

Another reason I hate my DM - she will tell us in no uncertain terms that we do not have to do this. However, if a customer complains about it to the office or the 1800 number we will get bitched at and told "It will only take a minute. ..."
                            *snip*.
                            "Only take a minute"? Really? Seems to me that depends on how MUCH change the customer has ... unless your DM has eight arms.

I've bought a few dollars' worth of stuff solely with change but I try to have the bulk of it sorted before I get to the cashier, so all I have to deal with is the last little bit (e.g. tax).

Quoth Ghel View Post
                            Here at the bank, we had to start asking customers NOT to roll their coin before bringing it in. We were getting too many complaints from business customer that the coin they bought from us was shorted or had buttons in them.

We also charge to count non-customer coin (even though we have a machine), so we don't get as much as we used to.
                            Wow, that's just sad. My bank (so far) accepts rolled change; I can't imagine what's the point of shorting 50 cents' worth of pennies by a penny or two. Wow, huge savings, eh?

Comment

I don't mind getting coins, but I also can not accept rolled coins -- we have to break them open and count. Sorry if that'll take too long, either go to a bank and get bills or stand there and wait.
                              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X