This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Thieves

I've never worked at a grocery store myself, but when I was in college I knew several people who did, and my then-girlfriend worked at a grocery store while putting herself through college.

Apparently, the most stolen/shoplifted item at grocery stores, by far, is meat.

Thus, I pass along the things that were told to me, tales of the meat thieves.

1. Big Barrel of Meat

A customer brings a big metal tin to checkout. It's one of those large barrel-like tins that are sold filled with cookies. The clerk notices it's unusually heavy for a tin of cookies, and feels very cold to the touch. She's pausing for a moment to wonder what is going on when over the intercom they call for a cleanup in the bathroom.

The customer insists she just scan the tin, he can pay the $10 for the big tin of cookies, and move on. She notices that the plastic anti-tamper seal has been replaced with clear packing tape. She calls for a manager, while the customer becomes very irate at the delays and says he must check out NOW.

The manager comes over and says something to the effect of "what is it, we've got to clean up a huge pile of cookies that are dumped all over the men's room floor."

At this moment, the customer bolts out the door. The manager and cashier open up the tin and surprise, surprise, find it's jam-packed with steaks, a pot roast, and ground beef.

2. Is that meat in your pants, or are you just scared to see me?

A nervous teenager comes up to a checkout lane at the grocery store. He's only buying a bottle of coke. He seems really nervous, and he's shivering in the "dog days" of late summer. The cashier takes a moment to look at the customer, as something isn't adding up. He's thin and gangly, wearing just a t-shirt, and sweatpants. The problem is, his sweatpants are bulging, all over. It's like he's a huge, tubby, portly guy everywhere covered by the sweatpants and a scrawny fellow everywhere else, and he was shivering like he was out in the middle of a a snowstorm.

The cashier, very suspicious of him, asks "Sir, do you have any other merchandise that you are intending to purchase?"

At this moment, the Sucky Customer panics and runs for the door. The cashier shouts "after him!" and spins around and points at him.

In even more panic, the sucky customer starts reaching into his pants with both hands and grabs the meat. He is taking packs of ground beef and chicken and steaks and tossing them away as he's running into the parking lot and diving into a car that is waiting with the engine running as it burns rubber out of the parking lot.

3. That's a load of meat. . .

A customer comes up trying to buy a huge load of meat. Her shopping cart is filled with a wide variety of meat products. As the cashier starts to check the meat out, he notices a few things are wrong. First, the labels seem just a tad odd in texture, like they were taped or glued on top of the existing labels. Second, upon closer inspection as he's checking out the groceries, he notices that all the labels all have passed their "sell by" dates by a week or more and he finds it odd that there would be a shopping cart worth of expired meat on sale in the meat department, and somebody would be buying all this expired meat. Third, he starts to notice that labels don't match. Labels for one pound of ground beef are on two-pound packs, labels for sirloin steaks are on T-bone steaks and so on.

The cashier stops checking out and calls for a manager. The customer starts acting nervous and asks what is wrong. The cashier says he just has to ask the manager some questions. The Sucky Customer immediately gets agitated and starts demanding to finish checking out now. The manager shows up and the cashier pulls up one of the meat packages and shows the irregularities in the labels to the manager. When this happens, the customer starts to walk out the door, and when the manager shouts to the customer, she starts walking faster and just keeps right on walking.

Talk about freezing your balls off.

Comment

Who would want to eat meat that had been down someone's pants?

I realize the answers could go two ways on this...

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
        They have to beat it first

And the only meat story I can remember was some lady who had a trash bag covering the meat in her hand trolley.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
          at least it wasn't hummingbirds....(might be NSFW-shows guy undies...and hummingbirds....)
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Typically I was expecting the meat-down-the-pants jokes, as i enjoy reading on consumerist.com. I was not let down after reading the first reply

What's even better is to go back and read the original post while listening to the Benny Hill theme song.

Comment

When my brother worked in a supermarket he came home one day with a story about stopping a theft. I can't remember if he was the one who noticed the thief or if someone else was, but he watched a door to make sure the guy didn't leave before security got to him. The guy had been suspected of theft before but there was never any proof, but this time an employee had seen him stash something under his jacket. As always, it was meat. Pot roast, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                at least it wasn't hummingbirds....(might be NSFW-shows guy undies...and hummingbirds....)
                ... he got it totally wrong. Australians call swim briefs 'budgie smugglers', not 'hummingbird smugglers'!
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Meat is a big-ticket item, hence the high thefts. You know what else is a popular product to pilfer? Cheese. I can't remember the details, but last year some UK stores ended up tagging their cheese because it was getting stolen so much!
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    Meat is a big-ticket item, hence the high thefts. You know what else is a popular product to pilfer? Cheese. I can't remember the details, but last year some UK stores ended up tagging their cheese because it was getting stolen so much!
                    I've heard that some of the cheeses in some UK supermarkets have alcohol in them, which may have made them a popular target.

Other high-theft products (although not so much always due to the cost) that I witnessed in my previous incarnation included:

-Alcohol (obviously. Was always quite amusing to watch people chasing after some guy with a case of beer)
                    -Baby formula.
                    -Cosmetics.
                    -Condoms (one of the ones a former CW witnessed was that the box was there, missing the condoms, but they had forgotten to take the instructions with them )
                    -Female and male "excitement" products.
                    -Vitamins.
                    -Strangely around Easter, a lot of chocolates went missing despite them not being THAT expensive.
                    -Birrell Beer and Edenvale. (non-alcoholic beer and wine respectively)
                    -DVDs (SOMEHOW the entire shelf of DVDs was cleared at my previous job with two guys sticking them into cooler bags and walking out when staff weren't looking. Given that there's a friggin CAMERA over there as well as the fact that it takes some time for the shelves to be cleared shows that the store was not that great)
                    -Hot chickens. (they were at the most, $11 EACH)
                    -the more expensive cuts of meat (i.e. the whole sides that went for upwards of around $50)
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth silverstaff View Post
                      Ithe sucky customer starts reaching into his pants with both hands and grabs the meat.
                      No comment...
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        I've heard that some of the cheeses in some UK supermarkets have alcohol in them, which may have made them a popular target.
                        "Port & Stilton"? No alcoholic content AFAIK, just red colouring. Can't think of a single other cheese that has booze in... Shame, sounds like fun!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I don't know if this is fact, or just an urban myth (possibly based in fact but embellished) but I recall reading about a man who tried to steal a LIVE lobster by concealing it down his pants... He soon regretted it though as the crustacean, somewhat naturally, resented this treatment and fastened its powerful claws onto........ well, I'm sure you're all ahead of me on this already.
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Sometimes, I'd kill for a good steak. Now, shoplifting is not nearly as serious a crime, so...

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                              Sometimes, I'd kill for bacon. Now, shoplifting is not nearly as serious a crime, so...
                              Isn't that what we're supposed to say?
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X