This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day from Hell

I swear I had a problem with every single one of my orders the other night. Most of them were just small problems, that weren't really problems, and just minor annoyances, but they added up pretty quickly.

The worst part of my night though was about half an hour into my shift, and is probably what had me so annoyed for the rest of the night. I got a three-cart $400 order. When the guy tried to pay me, his credit card was declined. He told me I must have run it through wrong, and that's why it was declined. Um yeah, I've only been a cashier here for four years, I think I know how our credit card machines work. But, I ran through his card again anyway, it was declined again. He started telling me that he's shopped at our store before, and had never had a problem before, so it must be me. I call over the manager, since he's insisting that I'm doing it wrong, so she can try. She does the same thing as me, and again, it's declined. He argues with the manager, telling her that she should train their cashiers on how to take credit cards as payment. She and I keep on trying to explain to him that his card just won't be accepted, and start to ask him if he has another way to pay. He doesn't.

Wait, it gets better. He continues to argue with us for a few more minutes, and then I hear a crash. A whole case of drinks - in glass bottles - has fallen, right onto the floor right in front of my register. So now I have a customer who doesn't think I know how to use run through a credit card, and broken glass and juice drink all over the floor. The manager has the guy go up to the desk with her, so I can deal with the mess.

It takes me awhile to clean up the mess, there was a lot of glass and liquid, but at least it smelled okay. (The worst is when vinegar bottles break, they smell horrible, this had a nice fuity smell.) The guy was still up at the desk arguing that it was MY fault that his card was declined. He was in the store for about half an hour before leaving, when we then had to put reshelve the three carts full of crap.

That was the begining of my shift. At the end of my shift, I got a busy rush. Why so many people feel the need to do their grocery shopping at midnight is beyond me. I was the only cashier still there, and had a line. It was all small orders of a couple items each, so it wasn't too bad, but the lady at the end of the line had to complain about it.

Me - How are you today?
    SC - Why aren't there any other lines open?
    Me - Well, it's late, all of the other registers have been closed for the night.
    SC - I had to wait a long time in line.

It had been about a five minute wait.

Me - I'm sorry about that.
    SC - I want to get home and go to sleep.
    Me - Thinking - And I want to what? Stay here all night
    SC - I could shop somewhere else.
    Me - Thinking - You could, but you'd have to wait until every other place opens tomorrow morning. (We're the only local store that is open 24 hours.)

She bitched some more before leaving.

What a fun day that was.

Quoth disneyfav4ever View Post
    Why so many people feel the need to do their grocery shopping at midnight is beyond me.
    Well, for some of us, that's the only time we have to do it. For others, it's because it's less crowded.

That being said, I would think that most of us would realize that not all the registers are going to be running that late (what a waste on payroll that would be) and there might be a bit of wait....
    Last edited by Pagan; 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM. Reason: Punctuation is our friend!
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      Well, for some of us that's the only time we have to do it. For some, it's because it's less crowded.

That being said, I would think that most of us would realize that not all the registers are going to be running that late (what a waste on payroll that would be) and there might be a bit of wait....
      Yeah, I know some people have to do it then. I guess a better question would be why does everyone feel the need to check out at once. It seems like every night it's the same thing, it's dead, then for like five or ten minutes I'll have a really long line, then it'll be dead again.

I've also gotten complaints for the self-checkouts being closed that late. We close them since there's no one there to watch them, and some guy said we should leave them open, since the night crew could watch them, since they don't have anything else to do. (Shoplifters would love that.)

Comment

SC - I had to wait a long time in line.
        Oh you poor little baby. Here's a thought: suck it up and deal with it.
        Moron. If you want to be home asleep, shop earlier in the day when it makes sense to have more than one cashier.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

I loved doing my grocery shopping at midnight. I despise crowds, and it's lovely to be able to sing and dance along to the music without being stared at. Plus, since my grocery store at the time was the second largest WalMart on the east coast, it was like I was shopping in an abandoned store(like that one scene in 28 Days Later, zombie fantasy YAY). It was the best way to wind down after a long night shift.
          "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
          "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
          X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

Comment

Me - Thinking - And I want to what? Stay here all night
            Me - Thinking - You could, but you'd have to wait until every other place opens tomorrow morning. (We're the only local store that is open 24 hours.).
            I would have told her what you thought. Well, probably in a much nicer way, because that's how I am, but I definitely would have spoken my mind.

Me - I can empathize. I miss my bed, too.
            Me - Really ? I didn't know there were any other shops open that late around here.
            Last edited by Barefootgirl; 05-28-2008, 02:05 PM. Reason: over-quoting
            "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Samaliel View Post
              I would have told her what you thought. Well, probably in a much nicer way, because that's how I am, but I definitely would have spoken my mind.

Me - I can empathize. I miss my bed, too.
              Me - Really ? I didn't know there were any other shops open that late around here.
              Beautiful. A nice clue-by-four that she's being a whiny moron, and absolutely nothing she can complain about to your manager. Beautiful.

Comment

Wait, you mean I'm fit to work retail and customer service ?

And here I did all those fancy schmancy studies because I thought I wouldn't be able to handle customers right.
                "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

When I used to work register at a men's clothing store, I learned that there are some times when a credit card will come back as declined, but if you run it through again, it will be approved.

I think there was some noise going through the modem or something.

So, I always ran it through twice if it came back declined the first time. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

Comment

Working...
                  X