This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    Opinions of the President of the US are Fratching material, so can we please leave off now, before someone says something too far?
    (Pst: white texting doesn't absolve you from the rules )
    Now that's just going too far. I was only thinking it, not posting it.

There's nothing to see here. Look in Fratching.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth ash1098 View Post
      (mind you this was in perfect english....just a boring midwestern american accent)
      Wow; what a scary indicent! I always thought that the midwestern accent was considered the standard model American accent. I know at least in the old days, newscasters and DJs were supposed to cultivate a midwestern accent, if they did not already have one. I wonder where the SC was from that he could not even understand such a typical accent?

Comment

btw....interesting add-on to this story, I went for my supervisor, the call dropped before was able to transfer. 3 days or so later, same guy, same acct(checked for my notes just to be sure....that's only happened twice to me in close to 3 yrs, over 600 people in my call center alone), I answered and he started with "Thank God I got someone that speaks english!"

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
          Wow; what a scary indicent! I always thought that the midwestern accent was considered the standard model American accent. I know at least in the old days, newscasters and DJs were supposed to cultivate a midwestern accent, if they did not already have one. I wonder where the SC was from that he could not even understand such a typical accent?
          I always thought newscasters were supposed to try for a California/Pacific coast accent. That one sounds bland American to me; the Midwesterners I've spoken to have accents, don'tcha know?

OP, where was your caller from?

I usually daydream about xferring callers to the Spanish language line while they're ranting about people who don't speak English.

Comment

Quoth kiokushitaka View Post
            Aw, they just assumed that most people outsource these calls to India... but when you assume...
            On an entirely unrelated sidenote: did anybody here but me love that scene in the Transformers movie, where the US troops under fire in the desert use a phone to contact the Pentagon, and then end up in a call center talking to a bored-looking Indian guy? That just cracked me up

"Sir, yelling will not speed up this transaction..." Priceless.
            You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

On an entirely unrelated sidenote: did anybody here but me love that scene in the Transformers movie, where the US troops under fire in the desert use a phone to contact the Pentagon, and then end up in a call center talking to a bored-looking Indian guy? That just cracked me up
              Yeah ... it was a bit of a take off on the scene from Heartbreak Ridge where they had to call their own base with a credit card. Which was ... sadly enough ... taken from a real story from the US action in Grenada (apparently our armed forces hadn't learned by then that sometimes the Army wants to talk the Navy and it would be really super-duper nice if the equipment was compatible ... oops).

Personally, I'd rather talk to someone on the phone overseas ... I think it's just rather cool that I can dial a US number and get a call center in the Eastern Siberian Wastelands. Then again, I'm a geek who grew up in Seattle so I have very little trouble with accents.

I don't understand why some callers think it's their right to chew out a call center employee (based in the US, India, Philippines, Mars, or anywhere else). The call center person, regardless of nationality and/or species, is just doing their job.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post

"Sir, yelling will not speed up this transaction..." Priceless.
                The description sounds hilarious but I can't find a clip on youtube.

Comment

I'd suggest renting the movie. It's pretty funny allthrough, and well worth the watch.
                  You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

I've been liaison for a LOT of computer clients under warranty. Most perfect enunciation was Indian. (Back before the backlash and you could talk to them as people while rebooting etc.) Worst to my untrained ear.... an Irishman! Super helpful (Apogee? Maxis? don't recall the outsourcing company) but the brogue was a toughy, and I'm only two generations removed.

Comment

Quoth ash1098 View Post
                      btw....interesting add-on to this story, I went for my supervisor, the call dropped before was able to transfer. 3 days or so later, same guy, same acct(checked for my notes just to be sure....that's only happened twice to me in close to 3 yrs, over 600 people in my call center alone), I answered and he started with "Thank God I got someone that speaks english!"
                      Did you call him on this ? Like : "Sir, I feel that I need to inform that I was the one to whom you talked and yelled, because I allegedly wasn't speaking English, 3 days ago." ?

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                      Then again, I'm a geek who grew up in Seattle so I have very little trouble with accents.
                      I don't get that. Is it because you're used to Klingon and elvish ? Or because Seattle is a rather cosmopolitan city, with all sorts and varieties of accents ?
                      Last edited by Samaliel; 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Working...
                      X