This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirected

Lately on my work computer, I'll go to a website, but will get redirected to something completely different. Not like a popup; just a different website. I can back up to the right site, but this is annoying.

Also, Firefox is crashing a lot lately. Not sure if these are connected or not.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

spyware/malware. Classic sign. Browser hijacking. Run every scan you can get your hands on.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Figures. ><

Any suggestions? I installed Spybot and Ad-Aware myself, since the company didn't seem to have any protections.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Don't run any scans at the same time, sequentially only. I'd start with Spybot. Let it go, see what it comes up with, and let it get rid of anything it can. Make a note about what it can't. Then run Ad-Aware. See if it comes up with the same things at the end, or more stuff, let it get rid of what it can. If you still can't get rid of everything, try Trend Micro's House Call. It's a free online scan. If after all that, you've still got things that won't go away, or the behaviour's there, and there's nothing showing up in scans, come back with the files names of what won't be cleaned up, and we'll go from there. The scans will probably take a while, since work machines tend to be less than top-end.

Hopefully you'll just need to run the two scans, and not the third. If you can put stuff like Spybot and Ad-Aware on, I'd suggest an actual active anti-virus as well, like AVG or Avast, since technically neither Spybot nor Ad-Aware are AV software. Something active might prevent it happening again in the future.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

kay, I ran those two and Avast. It got several bugs. Hopefully that worked.

Comment

Just wanted to make a note here that I've seen ads that hijack a page like this. The ad will load and immediately pull you to another page, instead of issuing a pop-up like most do.

It's bad form, to say the least, and the sites I've run across them on, have, one and all, dropped the ad company that was issuing them.

This may not be your problem, but in case cleaning doesn't help, contact the site operators.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

If it's just one site that it does it on, then it's most likely a piece of code on that site doing the damage. If it's several unrelated sites, Then it will be something on your machine.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I like Avira. It's free and it's found and removed some of the spy-/malware that other programs haven't been able to remove. http://www.free-av.com/
                A man can be stupid and not know it, but not if he is married.

Comment

Just an additional note:

Make sure to run your spyware sweepers from safe mode. Some unwanted programs can't be cleaned when Windows is running in normal boot up, but can be cleaned first time in safe mode.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I ran all the virus programs but nothing worked. One of the IT guys couldn't figure it out, so got me a different tower. Now my E-mail and AIM work again, but when I do any Search and click on the link on the list, I get redirected still.

If I must used Google or something, I've started to just copy-paste the URL from the list. That seems to work. But I do NOT want my Outlook to go wrong again. Prevention tips would be great.

Comment

If it's the same malware that's causing your issue as the one I had, don't worry: it's an easy fix. Basically, my Google searches in Firefox (XP comp) would redirect when I clicked them, not every time though, sometimes 1 in 30 times to twice in a row, which makes it difficult to confirm that the computer is in fact disinfected.

The program is called 'Goored', how it got that name, no clue. It infects part of Firefox's files (and isn't fixed with a reinstall of Firefox), and literally NOTHING detects it: I spent a night throwing AVG, Spybot, Hijackthis, Malwarebytes, nothing. But there is a targetted patch that finds it (and removes it) that someone made, here's a link to a tech forum where someone else had the issue:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/need-...t-t220522.html

Simply download "GooredFix" that's linked there, and follow the self-explanatory instructions in the program, do a scan and if it finds something, run the removal option.

Make sure you run several other scanners as well, since if your computer is infected by one thing, it's probably got a few other infections on it as well (although I'm sure you already know this).

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

To muddy the waters more, I just read a report that many websites are moving to full page-size ads with a "click to continue to the page" button. This is in response to findings that most web surfers have trained their minds to completely ignore sidebar ads now.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          To muddy the waters more, I just read a report that many websites are moving to full page-size ads with a "click to continue to the page" button. This is in response to findings that most web surfers have trained their minds to completely ignore sidebar ads now.
                          Yeah, but there's usually the "Skip to Page" button that's at the top right for those sites, ads are less of a nuisance since all it does is add an additional click. If she's got the malware that I'm thinking of, Goored would actually redirect to some very 'legitimate' looking sites.

For example, I would often be redirected to anything from a bland car ad page to a crappy search page, or even Newser.com, a legit looking news site...

Turns out the name Goored comes from the fact that the registry entry it's using is redirecting to Goored.com. (Source: http://www.drownout.com/blogdrwn/news/)

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                            This is in response to findings that most web surfers have trained their minds to completely ignore sidebar ads now.
                            Heh - in other news, ursines have been known to defecate in tree-infested areas. Wonder how long it took for them to work that one out?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Heh - in other news, ursines have been known to defecate in tree-infested areas. Wonder how long it took for them to work that one out?

Rapscallion
                              About as long as it took them to cash the grant check, I'd wager.

MisterSaturn:
                              Oh, I know there are real redirectors out there. God knows I've cleaned enough of them off computers. Just pointing out something else that will make me go out to remote sites because my users can't seem to give me much in the way of useful details. It probably will affect you all too. That, and I bet they soon start moving the :continue on" link so you have to look for it. Makes you look at the ad somewhat. Its what I would do if someone asked for a way to make the ads more effective for little-to-no cost.
                              Last edited by Geek King; 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM.
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X