This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double work, no raise

Due to cash flow issues, they started firing people, including the other accountant. Which means I've got the work for 3 additional companies, all completely different from my current accounts, added to my workload.

Yay.
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Time to look for a new job?

Comment

I'm going to echo what Aria said. If they are having cashflow issues it's usually a sure sign that the ship is sinking and you need to get out before they go under.

Comment

I'm hesitant because this is my first job in this state. I've only been here since May and my resume already has too many short stints on it. This just happened at a bad time, on a personal level. So much for giving up hard liquor for New Years.
        "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I can understand being hesitant, but it's no good hanging onto a clearly sinking ship. Start putting your resume out there anyway so that you have something lined up before your current job goes the way of the dodo.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
            I'm hesitant because this is my first job in this state. I've only been here since May and my resume already has too many short stints on it. This just happened at a bad time, on a personal level. So much for giving up hard liquor for New Years.
            OP:

I can understand how you feel.

I was in your shoes back in 2005.

My employer at that time was going through financial troubles, but the owner of the company did not want to admit that to his employees.

He called everyone into a meeting early January 2005. He told everyone that there would be some big changes beginning March 2005. The company was going in a different direction beginning March 2005.

At the end of February 2005 I was laid off.

Then in May of that year I found out the following from someone who worked across the hall from my employer *my employer was located in an office building on the 12th floor*
            • The working hours were reduced from 40 hours a week to 20 hours a week
            • My employer was losing business
            • The current employees could loose their jobs at any time

Then I found out a couple of months after that from the same person that my employer received an eviction notice from the property management company of the building.

So at that point no-one working for them in that office had a job.

Before I started working for that employer I only had short-term and long-term contract assignments.

I lasted 11 months at that employer. I wanted to last longer, but that was not possible.

Comment

If they're laying off the people responsible for ensuring cash flow, I really can't see them lasting much longer. I'd also be concerned that with just one accountant remaining, you could be getting set up to take a huge fall...
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Agreed with looking elsewhere, that organization has a foot in the grave. At least be ready with an unemployment application--and don't forget withholding.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I had that concern last year. "Too many short employments." It stunk.

Got laid off from one job.
                  Another job was minimum wage that I was working just to keep myself employed and be able to pay off bills while looking for a better one.
                  Next one (after min. wage) the owner was LOCO and I had to leave because the stress of how I was being treated (by the owner and general manager, the supervisor and most of my coworkers were GREAT).
                  After that the commute was really long for not much better pay, and the management had a habit of promising things and then never following through.

All of these jobs were less than a year, and I was worried that when I found a really great job (better commute, better pay, better benefits, everything!) that I would be overlooked because of all those short sections of employment.

I sent my resume, and was hired within a week. I've been there for over a year now!

So all I can say, is look... and try. Try before you get laid off, or you have to just outright quit. Someone who is already employed has a better chance of landing another job.

Good luck!
                  My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                  It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

You are all so, SO, SOOOO right!

Now not only do I have additional accounts, they're doing a major overhaul of my main account. The new ones (to me) are a mess, and the records awful.

Add in the bad work environment. The office is so cold, I have to wear my winter coat all day. That's only in the main area, though, where myself, the financial analyst, and the call center people sit. Everyone else holes up in their offices with space heaters on. Today, traffic would have held me up 2 hours, and I need all the time I can get to get this stuff under control, and they're making me take PTO if I work from home now!

I'm fucking SALARIED!!!

Now, there's NOTHING I can do at the office that I can't do from home.

Since I'm technically not getting paid for today, I'm going to update my resume and call my mother in law. She has connections in the health industry and may be able to connect me with a bigger, more stable company.

Comment

I just remembered this...

This is from early last decade.

I used to volunteer at a major hospital that treated cancer patients.

The weekday/weekend volunteer coordinator at that time was working 30 hours a week. At that time that particular job was only 30 hours a week.

So he got a job at a mom and pop company working in the warehouse.

After a while he was asked to work outside sales at that company.

Then at one point his employer was losing money, and so the majority of the employees were laid off.

He was not.

However, he was told by his employer that they could not afford to pay him, and so essentially they wanted him to work for free.

Luckily his job at the hospital changed to 40 hours a week.

Comment

Making you burn PTO does not sound optimistic to me
                        Glad you have some feelers out.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

If you've had to take it as a day off, then I think you did the right thing by treating it as such.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

The office is so cold, I have to wear my winter coat all day. That's only in the main area, though, where myself, the financial analyst, and the call center people sit. Everyone else holes up in their offices with space heaters on.
                            Department of labour. There are temperature limits (both min and max) allowable for workplaces before the employer must supply personal protective equipment. Obviously people working in a cold storage warehouse can't expect their employer to turn up the thermostat, but for an office they need to provide a decent temperature.

they're making me take PTO if I work from home now!
                            If they're making you log it as time off, then that's working off the clock. Remember that unless you're management (not just the title - need to have actual management duties) or a specified profession, you are entitled to overtime if you work over 40 hours/week (salary is assumed to be for 40 hours/week). Working off the clock is illegal.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Unfortunately, the temperature is just a bit below the recommended (non enforceable) OSHA temp, so I have no ground.

I do have a text conversation about the PTO and my absence form, on which I wrote "working from home".

Comment

Working...
                              X