This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
    I'm trying to avoid hotel jobs TBH. Definitely not with Hellton Hotels. The only other is Mary Yacht, but they seem really alike to Hellton. Ugh.
    I've gotten a job offer, but my school drove it away. All I need is a break and a stroke of luck to hit me. Well, I guess I'm just asking for good vibes my way and prayers. I'll need it in this sucky job market. :\
    Ok minon. I'm happier at work at my Elongaged Hexigon Inn then I've been in my life, but mostly that's because my leadership is fantastic. Hospitality can be heaven or hell, it all comes down to the boss. And it isn't for everyone. Wish you were nearby, I think you'd like working at my site, and we need people right now since Boy Wonder quit.

That said, you have to do what's best for you. As for interviewing, maybe do a google search for Interviewing for Introverts. Hubby doesn't interview well either and found some good tips there. Also maybe try to do something soothing before your interview. If you're nervous that sometimes puts off interviewers.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Was that intentional?
      Maybe

I don't have an problem with people smoking pot as long as they don't do on the job or right before they start their shift. What people do on their own time is their business, but if it affects their job I have to let them go.

Comment

I hate the no call back thing. I think the only one that was worse was the place that was interested in hiring me. Of course, they didn't call back until almost a full year after I put in my application because that is when they planning to actually do the hiring.

Who advertises a job a full year in advance and doesn't mention that in the ad or by following up with applicants?

Comment

Just out of curiousity; what's the procedure if you're on prescription medication that screws up the results of a drug test?
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I would think saying something before the drug test is best, preferably with a doctor's note.

Sort of like "Hey by the way, I take blahblah medication and it might mess with the drug test." I would think honesty up front is better then potentially getting a hit on a test.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Just out of curiousity; what's the procedure if you're on prescription medication that screws up the results of a drug test?
              Never experienced it personally, but my understanding is that they contact the person and ask for an explanation, and the person needs to provide evidence that it's legally prescribed. If it is, and the levels are consistent with the prescribed dosage, the testing center reports it as "negative" so the person is fine. There are 2 exceptions (my perspective is as someone who drives commercially across the border, and is therefore subject to FMCSA drug testing rules):

- With opiates, if they're prescribed, the test will be reported as negative, but the person is medically disqualified from driving commercially for as long as they are taking them. Don't know how long after they stop before they're allowed back on the job, but I'd guess it would be until the metabolites stop showing up.

- With cannabis, if they've got a prescription for marinol (THC in pill form) and the levels are consistent, they're OK. If they've got a prescription for medical marijuana, for purposes of drug testing it's not worth the paper it's written on. The "F" in "FMCSA" is for "Federal", so the testing is done under federal rules, where marijuana is a schedule 1 (completely illegal - no legitimate medical use) drug, so even if the person is in a state where MMJ is legal it's treated as if they're taking it illegally.

Note that I'm reporting how it is - if you want to discuss how it should be, you know where to go.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've had plenty of prehire drug tests...you are allowed to disclose medication that might pop on a screening.

Comment

Yeah I wish I could move to another state. I've never been, but CO sounds serene and peaceful. Except I don't like potheads. No offense to anyone...We get plenty here in DC and it's not even legal. LOL. Anyway if your GM is great don't let go! They're one in a million, I'm starting to realize.
                  Well, anyway, I have an update! I answered an ad and got another interview today. It was for a Cook for a restaurant. Cooking is one of my hobbies, so I figured I'd give it a go. I've decided to only really try for BOH positions, since FOH isn't for me. FOH people have to have nerves of steel and patience of a saint. I've have plenty patience, but my nerves are iron, not steel, sorry. Sorry, but I don't like the "Call the FBI, Call the Homeland Security! My family has been dishonored, my towels were eggshell white, not white white!" pettiness from Hotel SCs. It's irritating and brain cell killing.
                  ANYWAY....back my interview. It was for a cook, so I dressed in a sweater, and dress pants. Face washed, teeth & hair brushed in a ponytail. I arrived on time. I was nervous but not too much. Breathe in, breathe out....they aren't going to bite you. I quickly glanced around. It wasn't busy. I smoothed my hair and made my way to the cashier (helllo good looking) and explained my presence.
                  He said the GM will be with me in a bit, and to sit down and get drink. He seemed very friendly, which is a good sign. Happy employees. He was good looking, bad sign. Good looking men are only a distraction IMHO =^_^=
                  So I did so and waited and waited. 5 min, 10 min, 15 min, half hour, 45 min. Major, major minus. Why does GM treat people so rudely and not be on time? I may have another interview. I didn't but still.
                  Finally after an hour, the GM came out. He apologized, and seemed friendly. He had a REALLLY thick (Middle Eastern?) accent. Friendliness is good. Thick accent is bad. As the leader, he needs to have a clear voice so to be understood. Major minus. My last last GM was a born and raised from Texas and his voice sounded like garbled speech. Still, I did my best to understand and listen carefully.
                  He asked me to talk about myself (yikes!) and I did my best. He seemed to like me though. Then he started talking about the company, how it's easy to advance (good) and how he had become a GM after only a year. (Wow). I fixed an expression of polite interest and nodded energetically. Actually, it wasn't that hard, because I like it when the interviewer talks about himself. I feel too shy to ask.
                  After a few more questions (Yipe!) he brought the studly cashier out and he asked me some of the same questions. I tried to not be dazzled by him. Uhhhh.....but he seemed to have an easygoing personality. Very nice.
                  So after a few minutes of that, the GM and the cashier went to converse, and decide, I was trying to to throw up from nervousness. Waiting and waiting was annoying, but I kept reminding myself that I didn't need to be anywhere else really, and that helped a bit. Finally they came out.

And I got the job! I got the motherfrickin job! I'm so happy. It's not perfect, but it'll do. ^__^

Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Congrats, HotelMinion!
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Yay job! Is it weird that I don't think I've been dazzled by anyone's looks, ever? Accents, yeah. The last time I had to go deal with my phone the guy had an accent and that was distracting. I couldn't move to England and still function, apparently.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yay for getting the job!

You will become familiar with the GM's accent, over time.

In the meantime, do ask him to repeat himself when necessary, and watch his lips as he does: most people have a small amount of lip-reading skill just from normal social rules (ie, the 'look at the speaker's face' rule). Don't actively try to lip-read, just let the acquired skill help you interpret him.

Repeat back the instructions - not just from the GM, but from anyone. Summarise it, sure, but repeating it back as a habitual thing ensures that you got the instruction right; and signals that you're listening. (It takes about six weeks to acquire a habit, on average. Or to break one, for that matter.)

Get a refresher on food service safety. I'm sure one of the kind folks here can point you to a US website about it that's not a dull and dry read.

On the topic of prescription meds and drug tests: thanks for the answers, folks! I'd probably be illegal for anything that requires 'driving or operating heavy machinery', but it's nice to know what the rules/guidelines are.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Congrats!

My mom suggests looking into getting the ServSafe certification; your boss may pay for it if you tell them you're interested. Even if not, if you can afford it it's a plus to have.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Congratulations on getting the job. It sounds like it will be a pretty good place to work.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Congrats on the job Minion! I hope it works for you!

Some areas of Colorado are indeed serene and peaceful (small towns and rural areas, and of course our mountains), and Colorado in general is a friendly place, but Denver has the same problems of any big city. Don't get me wrong, I love living here, public transit is excellent for a landlocked area (though nowhere near as good as New York or DC), and there's lots of stuff to do, but I miss my smaller hometown and want to move back someday.

There aren't hoards of potheads roaming the street like zombies in Colorado. You see (or rather smell) a few people toking it up at the train station and that's about it (technically it's illegal to consume MJ in public, it's covered under the same laws as public drinking / public intoxication, so if someone is causing issues they can and do get arrested).

I agree I've been very lucky with GMs, Stan (not real name) was THE best boss I've ever had and I keep one of his cards around to remind me that the best way to remember him is to excel in my job. Dennis (also not real name) is at least as good in his leadership, and Stan recommended him, so that might have something to do with it. Stan had to reschedule our interview and he turned out to be a good boss, so maybe your new GM's being late is just a fluke. Those do happen.
                              Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 02-05-2016, 06:12 AM.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X