This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make up your mind!

Last year, a client of mine was terminated due to committing a new crime.

Early February, I get a call from the public defender assistant wanting me to come in and testify on "policy". He asked if I am willing. Knowing that even if I am not willing, they will subpoena me anyway, I say that I am, but I would like more information on what they are looking for from me so that I can prepare. He says he will have the public defender email me the specifics and court is set for the 6th.

Cue massive snow storm that shuts all government offices on the 4th and 5th. Things are starting to reopen on the 6th. After a stressful hour, I manage to get a hold of someone who tells me that the court date is being rescheduled and he will send me a new subpoena. I remind him that I still do not have any idea what information they are looking for. He says he will remind the public defender. Court is rescheduled for the 18th, and I'm told they want to know our cell phone policy.

The week of the 18th, I have Monday off due to a holiday, I have to teach a class to offenders from 10-12 on Tuesday, Thursday I have court and Friday I have all day training. I hassle and nag and see 20 clients and complete one intake in what amounts to 12 hours between Tuesday and Wednesday. I am super busy, clients are frustrated, it's a big pain in the rear.

Wednesday evening, I get an email from the public defenders office again, stating court will not start at 0900 hours as thought, it will be pushed back to the afternoon. I ask them to give me an hours notice of when I have to be there. They promise to do so.

After I leave Wednesday, I get another email-hey guess what! You're not needed. You are released from your obligation.

I took a look at the court records this afternoon, and I think someone messed up, big time. apparently, it was supposed to be a 3 day jury trial. They met on the 16th, the 17th and the third appearance date was not until TOMORROW the 19th, not today. Oops
Working...
X