This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Advice

My grandparents and I are trying to figure out what kind of laptop to get me for college.

College students, former or current, what kind of laptop did you get? How big of a screen? What did you use it for?

Your help is muchly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by McGoddess09; 02-19-2009, 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Quoth McGoddess09 View Post
    My grandparents and I are trying to figure out what kind of labtop to get me for college.

College students, former or current, what kind of labtop did you get? How big of a screen? What did you use it for?

Your help is muchly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Well, I've only bought a laptop, so I'm not sure what kind of help I can give you. (I kid, I kid!)

All joking aside, I almost always use my desktop, simply because it's easier for me to type on. I bought a cheap laptop (discounted Sony Viao) for school, just so I can tote it around to the library, write essays/reports on it, etc. I wanted a small one (13 inch screen) because I thought that it would be lighter and easier to carry around campus.

Now I wish I'd bought a bigger laptop. Because the screen is small, that means the keyboard is small. Due to my large-ish man-hands, my hands have to be closer together, forcing my elbows out and making typing uncomfortable. What's the point of having a computer if you don't want to use it? Sure, it's easy to put into my bookbag, but it's still really heavy and a pain in the ass to carry around campus--especially if I need to carry around the cord, which I have to because the battery life is only about 2 hours long.

Looking back, I wished I'd saved the money (about $800) and invested it into a better desktop.
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Moved to tech help. Also, get a Toshiba Satellite. They're excellent. There was a thread not long ago, 5 or 6 CSers all stated they had one and were happy with it.

There's different models within the series, so there's sure to be one in your price range.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

One thing with the Toshiba Satelite. Be sure that you have adequate space around the laptop while you are using it for air circulation. My step daughter has one and she has killed 3 hard drives in it because of a lack of cooling. I think it's also that the internal cooling fans don;t work right but we were told to be sure to use a cooling fan with it.

Comment

Using a Toshiba with a 15.4" display. Found it to be pretty good since I got it November 2007, although it has taken a beating (as do my laptops, first one was an HP, destroyed it in a year, second Acer, same thing, Toshiba though seems better)
          Otaku

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
            I think it's also that the internal cooling fans don;t work right but we were told to be sure to use a cooling fan with it.
            Well, I don't with mine, but I probably should. As long as it's on a flat surface with room around, it shouldn't be too bad, but it does get quite hot. Less powerful laptops in larger sizes should run cooler (last gen tech, but shrunk, in a 15.4" would have more room to circulate air, while being more efficient)

Comment

I Just thought that since it's been such a concern with this particular machine, I would mention it. Especially since this will be her first laptop.

Comment

Quoth Shpepper View Post
                I Just thought that since it's been such a concern with this particular machine, I would mention it. Especially since this will be her first laptop.
                Oh yeah, definitely mention it. I'm just saying, with my experience, I've not burned out anything yet without a pad, so it's not essential. It'll probably just be more comfortable to use. Unless she'll be in a poorly ventilated space, then it'd be more of a necessity.

Comment

i use a lap desk for my satellite only because i use it for hours on end and it does get hot enough to cook the chestnuts. though i run wow on mine and find that if i elevate it for better ventilation it runs better. if your not running graphics intense games i dont see the need for a cooling board. except for the comfort value that is. and as i said in the last thread like this i found mine on sale at cc for around 550 after tax.
                  This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
                  my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

I bought a Compaq Presaio and have had no problems with it, other than battery life beginning to suffer (after 3 years). Others have had issues with Compaq's though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                    Moved to tech help. Also, get a Toshiba Satellite. They're excellent. There was a thread not long ago, 5 or 6 CSers all stated they had one and were happy with it.

There's different models within the series, so there's sure to be one in your price range.
                    *nodnod* I've heard good things about these. Another brand that I've seen nothing but good from is the Sony Vaio. My previous laptop was one and my sister has had 3 of them now.

I'd also say to pay particular attention to exactly what you're going to be using it for. If just doing homework, surfing the web, and/or playing DVD's, then you can probably go with a lower-end model. If you're going to be doing graphics, then you'll want a higher-end windows machine, or even a MAC (which can be expensive).

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

No love for the eeePC? <3

You can pick up the 1000 now in the $400-$500 price range. Will do everything you'd ever want or need it too short of epic gaming and doesn't have the tiny keyboard problems of the 900. Also, its cute and no more complex than "press button turn on wee". Comes with all the word processing software you could ever need as well.

I still use my 900 for work every night. It keeps me sane. It'll run WoW too. -.-

Comment

Working...
                      X