X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That doesn't add up

Today I experienced the following imbecility:

A customer asked me for an ear syringe. We happened to be out of them, so I hit our wholesaler's online ordering site to get a couple more.

Put in quantity of two, I get "MINIMUM ORDER QUANTITY: 6"

OK, whatever. Put in six, I get "QUANTITY IN STOCK: 5"

How lame. I sometimes wonder how people get jobs coding these programs...I suck at programming and I could probably do a better job.

Wonder how long those 5 syringes will sit there before they get more in...
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Or, maybe, just, maybe, the coder did his job, and somebody put in to the system that the minimum order had to be 6, and somebody else screwed up and didn't make sure they always had 6 on hand?

Nah, definitely bad code. What else could it be?

Comment

So, it won't let you order 6 and it'll backorder one for later shipment?

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
          Or, maybe, just, maybe, the coder did his job, and somebody put in to the system that the minimum order had to be 6, and somebody else screwed up and didn't make sure they always had 6 on hand?

Sorry Peds. My husband is a software developer too...I *know* there are a lot of great coders out there, but he would be the first to say he knows some really dopey ones. Yeah, I agree the store should have more than 6 on hand if they're going to have that limit imposed, so that was a fail on the store's part too. I was more referring to the message that popped up, or perhaps that the software could say "out of stock" if there were less than 6 left. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers here
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BeenThereDoneThat View Post
            Wonder how long those 5 syringes will sit there before they get more in...
            They probably won't order more as they are not selling.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              They probably won't order more as they are not selling.
              Good point...oy.

Comment

It's not actually as bad as it sounds. For one thing, they will allow you to order less than the minimum order quantity . . . but at a higher price point, at which point the next higher priced brand of syringe becomes the more economical choice. (There's only about a 50c difference between them to start with.) So it's not that you can't buy those five syringes, just that there's no reason to. . . and as c² points out, they'll probably sit there for all eternity.

Shad0w: I didn't actually go ahead with the order for six, so I can't say what would have happened. There's two possibilities: either they'd back-order the sixth one, as you suggested, or else send me those five plus one of the next more expensive ones. (Hopefully for the same price; that's what they do if you order a "preferred" generic and they only have the non-preferred, usually higher priced generic.)

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post

Goshdarn coders, its always their fault! <throws hands up into the air>
                  By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                    Goshdarn coders, its always their fault! <throws hands up into the air>
                    Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin'
                    If you don't stop kluging that hot code stinkin'
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Of course, really smart coding would flag any "on hand" quantity of less than the minimum order, temporarily drop the minimum order to the "on hand" quantity, and change the displayed "minimum order N" to "minimum order N or quantity on hand, whichever is less".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X