Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm proud of myself. I didn't start crying, and my voice didn't even waver. I stayed calm, and in a reasonable voice and just explained the facts (I was scared that I'd start bawling, and my voice would get loud).

Nothing has happened yet. I waited till both my RM and DORR had left yesterday for the holidays because I knew that way they wouldn't be suspicious and automatically have their hackles rise.

COO did tell me that my current RM was intended to be temporary right from the start. He isn't meant to stay in this position and he's going to move to one of the hotels, they are just working on acquiring a new hotel. If they manage it, he will be moving there.

I asked if this meant DORR would stay in charge of the department, and he said yes. He must have seen the look on my face when I said that, because thats when he said the DORR is young and going to far.

I slept better last night than I've slept in months, and for the first time in three weeks, I don't have a mild stomach ache.

I also told him that I have some ideas for positive reinforcement to increase the number of booked reservations, instead of threats, and that I told them to HR, who asked me if she could tell DORR and nothing has changed.

I really hope this all makes a difference.

Before I left I also told him that I have ten years of experience in this industry and in what departments, so I know I have the skills he needs. I told him if the Res Manager job does come open, I'd like him to consider me for the job. Not just to get the position, but so that I can alleviate the pressure on the staff.

COO says that no one in the department is going to be fired because he knows all of us and there's no reason to, no matter what DORR says. COO says that he makes that decision, not DORR.

I'll tell you guys, to tell the truth, I'm not sure I want to work under DORR because he's such a complete ass, but someone has to have the guts to tell him no and get things to run better in this department. And I am what people politely call "a strong personality". Meaning, I'm sure of who I am, where I'm going, and how I want to get there, and I don't let people step on me. Which I can tell you now DORR is not going to like.

I have Monday off, so I'm wondering what its going to be like on Tuesday when I come back. With DORR's vengeful streak, things might get alot worse for us. Or, with COO's influence, they may get alot better.

Really, its just a matter of a waiting game now. I honestly don't think I have ever been as scared as I was going in to talk to COO. Even when I left my own country (Canada) to move to the US to be with my American husband.
    Last edited by Moirae; 12-23-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Moirae, that was very brave of you to take things up the chain of command when things weren't going the way they should. You absolutely did the right thing, nervewracking as it must have been at the time.

I sincerely hope the COO gets through to DORR and things get better for you and your coworkers.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

COO to DORR: (we wish)

"Honey, bless your heart, I hate to tell you this, but waving your dick around does not impress people with how big it is, but rather, it impresses them with how small you are."
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Wishing you the best, Moirae...you did a very courageous thing and I hope it pays off many times over
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
            I have Monday off, so I'm wondering what its going to be like on Tuesday when I come back. With DORR's vengeful streak, things might get alot worse for us. Or, with COO's influence, they may get alot better.
            So how did things work out?

Comment

You, your co-workers, and COO may need to train DORR how to be a decent manager. It may take all four(?) of you to do so.

You and your co-workers may have to make it clear what sorts of correction work, and what don't. This may need to be subtle or diplomatic, but it's doable. Especially with COO's assistance.

COO, of course, will need to mentor DORR.

Think of DORR as a naughty dog. When he does things that approximate the right thing, reward him. When he does things wrong, pointedly ignore him.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

DORR has been REALLY nice to all of us since that time. Even to the point that, though he said the schedule was going to change, it hasn't. Not sure what to think of it.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                You, your co-workers, and COO may need to train DORR how to be a decent manager. It may take all four(?) of you to do so.
                Yeah, it looks that way. We've all tried to teach him, but it hasn't worked. Thats why I went to COO. Not sure where this is going to lead now, to be honest.
                Last edited by Dave1982; 01-15-2012, 02:02 AM. Reason: excessive quoting and multiple consecutive posts

Comment

Working...
                X