This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Frances Kelsey

Frances Kelsey, a former medical officer at the FDA who blocked approval of a drug due to an incomplete application and as a result kept Thalidomide out of the U.S., has died at the age of 101.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Thank gord for that, I've seen the horrors of what that drug did in the UK.

I can't _BELIEVE_ there's talk of actually bringing it back!

Comment

Thalidomide caused horrific birth defects and will never be prescribed to pregnant women again. It does have other uses that are being studied. There are many medicines that a pregnant woman should never take because they cause birth defects and yet are beneficial to non-pregnant women. It has the potential to boost immunity and treat many conditions including cancer, lupus, psoriasis.
      http://www.slate.com/articles/double..._comeback.html

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Frances Kelsey, a former medical officer at the FDA who blocked approval of a drug due to an incomplete application and as a result kept Thalidomide out of the U.S., has died at the age of 101.
        as I recall from some stuff at the time, she was ignoring the rules on processing aplications, not because she thought the drug was unsafe, but because she *could*. If thalidomide *had proved safe, the FDA would have gotten sued for what she was doing. But because it turned out to be unsafe she became a "hero".

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          Thank gord for that, I've seen the horrors of what that drug did in the UK.

I can't _BELIEVE_ there's talk of actually bringing it back!
          As someone else noted, it's only a hazard to pregnant women. More than that, it's only a hazard to pregnant women with a specific vitamin deficiency (which is why it took so long to link it to the birth defects).

One of the reasons it was so popular was that unlike other drugs for the same thing, you pretty much *couldn't* O D on it. At least not on any practical dosage. So it couldn't be used to commit suicide.

Even today, it'd likely have passed testing. Because they don't test drugs on pregnant women, much less ones with vitamin deficiencies.

Yeah, the situation was horrible. But it wasn't easily preventable, nor forseeable.

Comment

Working...
          X