This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people do this?

I'm at an account today that I've delicately termed "Phone Hell" because the primary job is answering the phone and we have to answer about 150-180 calls a day (more than twice as many as at the insurance agency).

Anyway, just a few minutes ago, a guy called in and asked to speak with "Casey Lastname." When I entered that name into the directory, nothing came up, so I took the first name out and just searched under the last name....where upon I found out the guy was "KC Lastname."

Now, I realize that KC probably stands for something else, but for crying out loud "KC" and "Casey sound exactly the same. How the hell I am supposed to know that it's really "KC" if you don't freaking tell me? And why even put a name like that in the system? All that's going to do is cause confusion. The only reason I was able to find it at all was because the last name was a common one that I knew how to spell. If not for that.....I hate it when people try to be "clever" like this.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

ask the caller how it's spelled - i have 2 friends with the same name, one is KaCee one is Kasey (both are female)

When I worked at the dealership I literally had 5 guys named James, each one in a different department... and only one went by a variant, all the rest went by James.... I had to identify them by last names
    1 - Big Boss
    2 - manager of a dept
    3 - service writer
    4 - parts/body shop (?)
    5 - Inventory

the good news is that only 2 was considered to be in Sales

one day I get a call "James Please" they asked, "Which one?" I replied
    "Wha?" "Well," "Oh you know what? Nevermind!" *click*

and like 2 days later I got called into the office about it.... apparently I had a bad attitude...pssht whatever - she cut me off before i could finish asking "which department is he in?" >.<
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

My question about this KC, is that did they know how to get down tonight?
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Oh believe me, if the name sounds unusual in the least I always ask them to spell it for me. But this was like if i spelled my name "Dayve" instead of "Dave;" odd spellings aren't expected.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

La-a (pronounced LaDasha, " ' cause the "Dash" ain't silent" )

C'erra (pronounced Sierra, like the mountains)

sorry with the "inventive" ways people are spelling names these days, verify the spelling is all I can suggest "Ok so that's Casey Lastname C-a-s-e-y, correct?"

There are certain names that I have come to expect to have multiple spellings - "sara(h) = with or with out the H?"
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

There used to be several people with the same name at Random Craft Store a few years ago. We'd get a few calls for one or two of them, always asked when they were working because we usually could go by that. That often didn't go over well since, well, we had more then one person with the same name.

In fact, we have two people with the same first name working now and we have to constantly remind everyone working that we need to use the last name as well. 'Cause if we call one name, both of them will respond.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
              one day I get a call "James Please" they asked, "Which one?" I replied
              "Wha?" "Well," "Oh you know what? Nevermind!" *click*
              IF you can get a word in edgewise, it's helpful to say 'we have five James', what's his surname or which department is he in?'

By putting 'we have five of them' FIRST, before you ask for the surname or department, the customer sometimes gets the sudden realisation that you're not 'just being difficult', but you Actually Need The Info.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Snopes has some interesting articles about Le-a and other creative names.

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp
                http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp

Comment

I almost always ask for the spelling of a name...for one client it's actually required, for another it's just a good idea especially when taking an order. It's amazing how many times I think I have a name spelled right and they correct me.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

People who use these "invented" spellings should step out onto a "perfect" 40th floor balcony. Imagine what someone with the stereotype "deep south" accent sounds like when they say "This balcony doesn't have a floor".
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                      There are certain names that I have come to expect to have multiple spellings - "sara(h) = with or with out the H?"
                      Even now this one always trips me up...

In theory, "Saaa-rah" & "Sar-a", but the first 2 girls I knew with the name (back at primary school) were "Saaa-ra" and "Sar-ah"...
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

When people ask me the spelling of my first name-there are a number of variations-I say, like a famous actor.
                        Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Working...
                        X