This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evaluations being done on a daily basis at work

I work at the front end as a cashier for a major grocery store chain, and for the past 2 months, the cashiers and courtesy clerks/baggers have been evaluated several times by different Front End Supervisors and Managers as well as the Store Manager. These evaluations are done in writing. There is a form that they use to evaluate everyone.

I have been working for my employer since 2016.

Several of my co-workers have been there longer than I have.

Then there are some co-workers who have not the been there as long as I have been there as well as my other co-workers.

A courtesy clerk/bagger who just began last week was evaluated a couple of days after he started work.

So far I have been evaluated three times by the Assistant Front End Manager, once by the Store Manager and once by the Lead Bookkeeper in this order.

So far my evaluations have been good.

Why would my employer be doing this?

Finding the worst employees in order to start the process of firing them?

Comment

Agreed with Simon, that seems the most logical explanation.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have some possible scenarios.

Best one : They are checking to see what the best workers do so it can become standard procedure or training for the less efficient or new employees.

Second one : They are rating the employees from best to least efficient in the different job tasks and are preparing fire some of them (likely, as Simon and taxguykarl said).

As if that would happen one : Best employees get a bonus.
        It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Sounds like a hostile work environment to me, getting evaluated every 5 minutes.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Paper Trail. They wanna have something on record for all employees to use as "cause" when it comes time to fire people en masse...and that time is almost certainly coming.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

At my Store, the management uses your cashier efficiency (I.e. items scanned per minute) as a metric to grade cashiers and decide who to give the most hours or put on busier shifts.

...Or at least they should, because as a supervisor I have access to that info, and I can't seem to find any corollary between cashier efficiency and how they're scheduled. We could honestly do with a little more evaluation so that we're not getting lines backed up at the same times every day and floor crew having to drop what they're doing and run up to save the front end's bacon.

Comment

For awhile at my job they were really big into "coaching". Basically, a manager would watch you interact with a customer and grade you on it. Then talk to you about it, stuff like you did this good but could do this better. Most of it was silly but corporate required it. Managers were required to do so many a week, it was really a crazy number. Even the store manager was required to do them, she had to do 30 a week at one point. We're not a big store at the time had maybe 20 staff members, about half that now.

Then it changed to where this coaching will still be done but we'd probably never know it happened. What? Did this turn into something alien where we thought it happened but there was no proof? How can employees improve (in theory) if you don't talk to them about their behavior? After awhile the whole coaching thing just went away. Now it doesn't matter. Nobody gets called into the office about what they do so everyone just does what they want. Take multiple/long breaks, take out their phones on the sales floor, do things half-assed or not at all.

Rumor and gossip is that this all may lead up to cleaning house to make sure the company meets their cost cutting goal. There's been a few stores that fired people because of behavior. But hey, it's giving overtime at other stores to people who want it! It's approved!
                Last edited by Trixie; 07-24-2019, 12:58 PM. Reason: Words are hard.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
                  Why would my employer be doing this?
                  Because they hired some consultants who said they should do that. I think the consultants names' were Bob and Bob.
                  Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 08-05-2019, 01:40 AM.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sounds to me like corporate has decided to save some money by firing higher paid people and replacing them with min wage ones and are looking for a way to do it without getting dragged into court.

Comment

Today is burger with the boss @ work

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Because the hired some consultants who said they should do they. I think the consultants names' were Bob and Bob.
                        Are you sure they weren't Larry, Darryl, and Daryl?
                        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

This past Friday I had my 7th evaluation, and now every cashier has to scan 33 items per minute.

According to the Assistant Customer Service Manager, no-one is scanning 30 items per minute.

The front-end equipment is outdated, and does not properly work.

So how in the world does my employer expect this to happen?

Comment

I don't think they do. I think they want to cut people and they're looking at the "best" way to do it.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Well that explains some of the behavior from one of the guest care associates/front end supervisors.

She is acting like she is afraid that she will lose her job.

Comment

Working...
                              X