This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth workerbee222 View Post

I also remember the devices that imprinted the credit card info on the three-piece receipt with carbon paper in between. We were instructed to make sure the customer SAW us tear up the carbons, so no one would accuse our personnel of holding onto the number and using it later.
    we called them click clack machines. The last time I saw one was about 15 years ago when the supermarket I worked at lost power. we pulled them out to get through the customers orders that hadn't been finalized.

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
      we called them click clack machines. The last time I saw one was about 15 years ago when the supermarket I worked at lost power. we pulled them out to get through the customers orders that hadn't been finalized.
      The last time I saw one was maybe two weeks ago! I was in a small rural town for a craft festival, and they’d lost mobile connectivity to the biggest phone provider thanks to high winds and bushfires doing a number on some hardware. Places that had landline access to the banking system were fine; places that were using mobile access (and all the vendors that were in town just for the weekend) were out of luck. Most were just dealing in cash but one had an old click-clack.

Comment

AH yes, the old knuckle grinder machines. My grandfather had one at his gas station
        My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Working...
        X