This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding impromtu "training"

I work as a cashier for a *major grocery store chain*.

I and several cashiers worked on Christmas eve.

One of the customer service employees individually 4 employees out of the several cashiers who worked yesterday to give an impromptu "training" regarding how to identify a fake $100.00 bill because apparently a customer gave one of the cashiers working yesterday a fake $100.00 bill.

She 1) went to each cashier, 2) had them scan a small item, and 3) handed them a fake $100.00 bill.

She told each cashier, including me, to check the $100.00 bill to make sure was not fake. Each cashier was then instructed to void the transaction.

But from what I observed, she only went of 4 cashiers, but there were more than 4 cashiers working yesterday.

Is this best way to do this training or is there a better way?

... If we're teaching about fake bills, then what's with ringing up an item and voiding? Something smells a bit off here.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
      ... If we're teaching about fake bills, then what's with ringing up an item and voiding? Something smells a bit off here.
      That is a question I would like to ask the customer service employee doing the "training".

Comment

Sounds like a really stupid way to do training. Gather everybody around, pass around the fake bill, explain what identifies the bill as fake vs real.

That's how the swamp did it. It's not too hard.

Also, assuming this was being done during business hours, it's an inconvenience to shoppers. Doubly so on Christmas Eve.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-25-2019, 09:18 PM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

O.o that's a weird way of doing things. Whenever we were made aware of fake bills, they simply gave us a heads up of "Hey there's some fake cash going around please make sure you are checking and marking your bills." If I was teaching a newbie how to check bills, I would teach them what to look for, how to use the marker and then a trick my mom taught me... I'd tell them that if they could, quickly run their thumbnail down the president's jacket to see if you can feel the grooves. That was usually the last thing I did mostly out of habit but also out of reassurance.

Comment

Everybody who handles money should familiarize themselves with the ways to detect counterfeit notes. The Secret Service website has a Know Your Money pdf with lots of useful information.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Is looking through the bill for the 50/100 strip still a thing or should we not rely on only that?
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

The strip is still in the bills, in a different location for each denomination.
                There's a BUNCH of methods to check on the currency. Relying on just one is a good way to get stung.

That said, I once caught a bogus $5 from the moment my fingers touched it. Chumpus didn't even bother getting the paper right. (Fuzzy to the touch)

Comment

For a lesson on funny money watch the movie Mr. 880.

It's based on the true life story of Emerich Juettner who counterfeited $1 bills. It took the Secret Service 10 tears to catch him.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yup. That's where so many run into grief. Everyone, who has a working thinker, looks at $100's and $50's. Most will casually glance over $20's and $10's. Nobody looks at a $1 bill unless it's just plain WRONG.

As for getting the 'paper' (more like cloth, really), most counterfeiters will clean off the ink from singles and go from there. Be a real pity if they got their singles from Mr. Juettner...

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                      Yup. That's where so many run into grief. Everyone, who has a working thinker, looks at $100's and $50's. Most will casually glance over $20's and $10's. Nobody looks at a $1 bill unless it's just plain WRONG.
                      And the thing about Mr. Juettner's forgeries was that they were just plain wrong. For instance, the name Washington was misspelled on the notes.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X