This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You’re Going to Sue Me? Yes, Please!

We have an old man who is NOT an attorney, but somehow has managed to get himself set up as a “professional representative” for some people who were cited for letting their yards get WAY overgrown (we are talking weeds over 3 feet tall) and keeping trash, junked cars, rotting furniture, etc. in their front yards. Vermin LOVE that environment.

This guy apparently was some high ranking officer in a corporation before retiring and now is seeking ways to continue to feel needed and in charge. Rather than simply helping these folk find the means to clean up their yards, he has been feeding them stories of how no city or government body should have the right to dictate sanitation standards and how they should keep their properties. What would have been simple cases that could easily have been resolved with no fines or penalties have escalated to insane jury trials involving inane and ridiculous arguments and counter charges he has advised them to make. The juries so far have found everyone guilty and assessed rather large fines.

This only served to stir up this old coot even more. He has stormed into our building, been loud and rude in his demands to talk to someone regarding the charges, and been a general pain to any court employee trying to get legitimate work done.

Yesterday, he cornered me to yell some more nonsense at me (as if I could dismiss the verdicts or cases brought by another department) and demanded I do something on behalf of his “clients”. When I asked him if he was the attorney for those defendants, he stated rather angrily that he did not have to be an attorney to be their “professional representative” in their cases.

I calmly told him that I disagreed, and was not going to speak to anyone about a case except the actual defendant or that defendant’s attorney. His face contorted and turned an odd shade of purple as he screamed that I was insubordinate and he was going to file suit against me for hindering his representation.

I paused, then broke out into a broad, excited smile. I asked him please to do so.
    He said he was serious and I soon would regret being so flippant and I did not know who I was messing with.

I narrowed my eyes and turned my smile a little sinister. I said to him that I knew exactly what I was saying. I continued that up until now, I was restrained to behave politely toward him due to my job, but that if he did me or anyone else in the courthouse the favor of suing us personally, those restraints are off and we can defend and attack in the manner we wish. I added that I greatly would enjoy doing just that, so I look forward to him being a man of his word and doing what he said he would.

He steamed for a moment, then spun around and stomped out. I will let you know if he follows through; but I get threatened with legal action often, but have yet to see anything happen from those threats, so I somehow doubt this latest will lead to anything either.
    Last edited by South Texan; 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Found his business card:

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"Oh please, oh please don't attack me in my own venue where I have the connections, knowledge and experience to ... wipe the freaking walls with you."

Comment

"Whatever you do, Please, Please, don't throw me in that briar patch!"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
          He said he was serious and I soon would regret being so flippant and I did not know who I was messing with.
          and don't call him Shirley
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

"Oh, please sue the University! The ponds are full of people who've tried to sue the University!"

Cookies for reference.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Arch-Chancellor Ridicully, UU, FTW!
              It's amazing how many problems go away when you've got unchecked power to play with. "Isn't that right, 'Froggy'?" *Annoyed ribbit*

Still, threatening to sue, when one's grasp of how the law works, and how far out of line one is... Any chance he'd be insisting that the courthouse open a bakery and be open Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years? There's no sense in going SC only half-way.

Comment

Lawyers

I have a lawyer on retainer in the USA and I have another one here in Canada. This is because of I had to handle the estates of my mother, my aunt when they died. Also the corporation I help form and then the sales of my personal property (house, cabin and condo) that I had to sell.

I love when people tell me they are going to sue me, I just say "Have your lawyer talk to my lawyer.". It is amazing how most of them deflate the moment they learn you already have a lawyer ready, and the few that still act hostile for some reason never follow thru with talking to the lawyers. My guess it they think I am bluffing until they find out the lawyers are real.

But what worked long before I had lawyers on my side, was any threats of suing me over something minor quickly ran into the costs of hiring a lawyer. Just get a lawyer to listen to you for the first hour and maybe some paperwork turns out to cost $100-$400 just to start, threatening to sue me because I refused to work on your computer suddenly does not seem so good an idea.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  "Oh, please sue the University! The ponds are full of people who've tried to sue the University!"

Cookies for reference.
                  Dammit, I see Buzzard got there first. Can I at least get some crumbs ... ?

This brings back SO many memories from when I worked on the newspaper. "Okay, this is now a legal matter and thus I can no longer discuss it with you. Here's our lawyer's number. Have your lawyer call him." *click*

Funny how we virtually never heard back from any of these people ...
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Hehe I even got to pull that a few times at the station: "I'm sorry, but as you're threatening legal action I can no longer discuss this issue with you. Please contact our customer services department so they can put you in touch with our legal team; NEXT!"

I'll miss that feeling of pure joy I got from watching someone realise they'd just committed themselves to 10x the expense that they were trying to avoid, assuming they continued down that foolish path... To the best of my knowledge, none of them ever did pursue it.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                      Arch-Chancellor Ridicully, UU, FTW!
                      Pretty sure you're supposed to put the degree first, then the school. ("FTW" stands for "First Tier Wizard," right?)

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      Dammit, I see Buzzard got there first. Can I at least get some crumbs ... ?
                      Actually, before either of you can get a cookie, you have to click that button that acknowledges you'll be receiving a cookie, otherwise you'll just keep getting that pop-up message every time you click on something on the site...
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                        ... set up as a “professional representative” ...
                        "Thsoffereign Thsuckertrash! Thsomebody went for Dealer McDope's Bargain Baggie! ... and we thought the PCP Fairy Dust on catnip was the ultimate bad trip!"
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X