This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheetrock conduit??!!

Recently we had to relocate several patch panels and switches. It should have been a easy job. The wire was coming from the right. We had to move them about 15 feet to the left. Simple? Right? Just cut the wires and re-do the patch panel. Well not really.

My first hint should have been that the wires were not where the documentation from the cabling contractor said they were. After much investigation, we discovered what they had done. The wires came down from the ceiling in the far right corner of the room, then all the way down to the floor, across the room and up to the patch panel.

However, it was just not a stupid run. They actually ran the wires between several layers of sheet rock. As in sheet rock with bundles of zip tied wires attached to it via staples on the wires, then a piece of sheet rock placed over it. They did this twice, for a total of 4 layers (needed the back 2 for fire rating) of 1/2" sheet rock.

The only good news was that the move was for some construction and our Facilities people were more than willing to rip all that crap out after we ordered some cable trays and ran them like they should have in the first place.

Geez, you caught a bit of a break at least, since the sheetrock needed to be torn out anyway. Just make sure your facilities manager (or whoever is in charge of contracting the construction for the building) is notified. They should know who did the work, and can factor the wiring flub into future construction decisions.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Matt, darling, I think that broke my brain.....
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I'm....just....speachless at the absurdity of that

Comment

Not as good as a cabling contractor punching holes through walls as needs. Check for fire break, nope. Check for asbestos, nope.
          ludo ergo sum

Comment

When the college I worked for a while ago wanted several miles (in total) of new cable run they called in a contractor. Our confidence in the contractor went downhill rather rapidly when the team leader managed to nail gun his own hand to the wall while demonstrating how to use the nail gun.
            "My experience has taught me one thing. A shaved cat is much angrier than an unshaved cat."
            Chester Holiday Apartment

Comment

wow, that's impressive

Comment

Quoth Alephcat View Post
                When the college I worked for a while ago wanted several miles (in total) of new cable run they called in a contractor. Our confidence in the contractor went downhill rather rapidly when the team leader managed to nail gun his own hand to the wall while demonstrating how to use the nail gun.
                So, did he mash the point off with lineman's pliers rather than pull the nail out of his hand?

Like an idiot I worked with at Electro Controls...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  So, did he mash the point off with lineman's pliers rather than pull the nail out of his hand?
                  I have no idea, I only heard about it after he had been taken away in an ambulance, although I think they may have waited for the ambulance to arrive before they took the nail out.
                  "My experience has taught me one thing. A shaved cat is much angrier than an unshaved cat."
                  Chester Holiday Apartment

Comment

At some condos that I manage, the whole fire alarm system wiring was run inside the walls without any conduits and the stucco was laid directly on top. It's easier to run new conduit on the exterior of the wall than rip our three floors of stucco to rewire one pull switch.

Comment

Quoth Alephcat View Post
                      That would be demonstrating how not to use a nail gun.

Quoth Alephcat View Post
                      I have no idea, I only heard about it after he had been taken away in an ambulance, although I think they may have waited for the ambulance to arrive before they took the nail out.
                      Well, you'd want to leave it in until he was in the care of medical professionals to prevent any additional damage and to avoid unnecessary bleeding.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Raveni View Post
                        At some condos that I manage, the whole fire alarm system wiring was run inside the walls without any conduits and the stucco was laid directly on top. It's easier to run new conduit on the exterior of the wall than rip our three floors of stucco to rewire one pull switch.
                        Hmmmm. Now i have to look to see if the same cable contractor who did this was the one responsible for terminating a drop, pulling all the slack out and stapling it to the studs in the wall. When the jack got F****d up we ended up having to pull a new drop with external conduit running from the ceiling down the wall.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                          Geez, you caught a bit of a break at least, since the sheetrock needed to be torn out anyway. Just make sure your facilities manager (or whoever is in charge of contracting the construction for the building) is notified. They should know who did the work, and can factor the wiring flub into future construction decisions.
                          They know. The FM was on vacation when we did this but the 2nd in command stopped by to gaze the stupidity of it. And throw a hammer into the wall.

We also notified our Finance Director who moved some cash around so we could have extra spare parts such as various conduit, cable trays, punch down blocks and some other stuff we normally a don't keep a lot of around. We know that contractor did some other wiring and a second wire closet that are wired in a similar fashion based on initial inspections.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            That would be demonstrating how not to use a nail gun.

That reminded me of this Dilbert cartoon (second one down from the point the link opens).

Victoria J

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                              Hmmmm. Now i have to look to see if the same cable contractor who did this was the one responsible for terminating a drop, pulling all the slack out and stapling it to the studs in the wall. When the jack got F****d up we ended up having to pull a new drop with external conduit running from the ceiling down the wall.
                              Yup, gotta love it. Constructed by someone who knew full well that they would never have to do any repairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X