This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The farmer in the dell

Background: When I was 19-20 years old, I worked as a secretary for the technical services department in a factory that made the milking tanks and systems for dairy farms. My job was to answer phones, get people in touch with a tech, and do all the mathy fun stuff to make up the charts for the tanks. Fun!

So... a farmer calls in. A tech is sent out. The tech comes back and says that the farmer did not have a keyboard cover and the computer being in the barn had led to the keyboard getting so gunked up that the farmer was not able to put in the proper cow number and it wasn't able to track the milking. We all laughed at how filthy the keyboard must have been (I saw pictures, it was black!). A couple of weeks later the same farm calls in. I transfer it to the same tech. A few minutes later I hear loud laughter. I went over to the tech to get the story. It turns out that the tech told the farmer that he had to 'keep the keyboard clean' but did not specify how. the farmer bought a new keyboard and when it got a bit grubby he took a power washer to it and sprayed down the keyboard with solvant. He then called in and couldn't understand why his rather damp eletronic object was not working properly. He told us that he knew you could not soak it in water, so he had just sprayed it down...

The tech brought the poor farmer a keyboard cover... he was not that far away from the tech's house, so he actually did it on his way home a few nights later. It cleared up a lot of misunderstandings.
    "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
    - James Joyce

Several restaurants I know use saran wrap over theres.

Comment

They actually make a rather durable plastic cover for barns... it gets kind of yellowed and nasty with age, but it is fairly waterproof and can be washed, unlike a keyboard!
      "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."
      - James Joyce

Comment

I think that the better question is where is the "proper" cow number located? Is it near the UPC number?

Comment

It's probably on the ear tag.

Comment

I expected this to be about a data mining virus in a Dell computer. How wrong I was. LOL!

Comment

The way it works is the cow wears an ear tag, and the computer tracks the amount of milk she gives... that way the farmer nows the optimal time to breed her.

Also, different cows give different qualities of milk during different times. The milking machines seperate the milk into different tanks for quality purposes... the best for fine cheeses, the mid for drinking, the rest for evoporated milk and other uses.

I know way more than I should considering I have never met a cow. I work with horses alot, but I have never gotten around to meeting a cow.
              - James Joyce

Comment

One would think that for operations like dairy barns one would go with an actual washable keyboard.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  One would think that for operations like dairy barns one would go with an actual washable keyboard.

^-.-^
                  Do they make those now? I will admit that this was a while ago - i was 19. If they do, I know a very messy person (uncle) that I want to get one for. I shudder when I have to touch his keyboard!
                  - James Joyce

Comment

For your edification:

Washable Keyboards available from NewEgg.

I'd think a dairy farmer would be interested in one of the anti-microbial ones.

Heck, some of those are dishwasher safe, even.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Cherry makes some for use in medical enviroments - it is designed to be sterilised regularly.

Comment

He then called in and couldn't understand why his rather damp eletronic object was not working properly. He told us that he knew you could not soak it in water, so he had just sprayed it down...
                        HAHAHAHA!!

We had a cover for our mixing computer when I ran the bodyshop. Solvents and electronics don't get along!
                        "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
                          HAHAHAHA!!

We had a cover for our mixing computer when I ran the bodyshop. Solvents and electronics don't get along!
                          Well, that's a different reason for the keys being stuck together!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                            Several restaurants I know use saran wrap over theres.
                            I have seen that also. Seems like a cheap and easy solution. When it gets dirty just remove and re-wrap.

Comment

Thanks Andara, sent that link to Boss. Between the faculty offices in the stables and exterior maintenance, we might be able to save some massive money.
                              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Working...
                              X