Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely agree that this should have been an out-of-class thing to do, if she had to do it at all. Once she settled into muttering she was being soundly shushed by those around her (friends, I think). She apparently thinks she's too good to be shushed, though. I'm just glad she was at the waaay back of the class and I was in the front row.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

At my school the IT dept had two ways to get Office for free or dirt cheap. I'm not sure of the specifics, but essentially the previous version (i.e. Windows 07 or Mac 08) were free to download off a secure website using your AD account. The current version could be purchased for something like $20 using your school email account. All school PCs had Office 2003 and 2007 instaleld on them also.

Despite this being communicated to all freshmen, emails, posters, etc. some people for some reason were still never able to acquire a copy of Office. Hell, if you wanted the free version, they would install it for you if you dropped off your laptop at the help desk.

Comment

The versions that my uni offers are dirt cheap ($10 or so for Office), but they are only good for one year. If you want the "I own this forever or until they change computer technology enough that it's obsolete" version, you'll have to fork over the full retail price. Great if you're going to be in school for the next few years, not so great otherwise.

I can understand not wanting to upgrade. I absolutely LOATHE the newer layouts for the menus. I can use them with moderate proficiency, but I refuse to upgrade until absolutely necessary, no matter how cheap they make the upgrade.

That said, I understand that if there is a compatibility issue between my version and newer versions, it is *my* problem and *my* responsibility to find a work-around. Eventually I'll get uncomfortable enough to upgrade my own computers, but in the meantime the conversion tool works just fine.

*UPDATE: Had another student complain about not being able to open *.docx, this time in an online course I'm taking at the same university. *sigh* The teacher was getting flustered so I sent her the link to the MS converter. Docx is not a new format, and neither of these people are freshmen... how did they get through the previous year?
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
          ... how did they get through the previous year?
          Obviously by moaning, complaining and being SCs.

And by learning nothing.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Taurus52 View Post
            The latest Open Office(openoffice.org) can open .docx. Just can't save to that format. Plus it is free!
            Not true... As I run Linux for my home computer, I run Open Office, and I was able to save in .docx, as the instructor for one of my college classes insists on that format. I thought it wouldn't work with it, but when the option was there when I went to save.

However, .pptx files are not supported. Option is on the list when opening, but slides are blank.

I'm not paying Bill Gates $200 or whatever when I can do the same thing for FREE. I have a couple Virtual Machines on my computer if I need to run a Windows OS (as the OS's were free since I'm in a Tech program) but Office software is not offered under that program (except Access).

Comment

Open office rocks for opening different formats. I just downloaded it last weekend because I had to open a freaking Word Perfect document - and it worked! The ass backwards tiny town I'm from had court records in .wpd format online.
              The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

The thing is, when I was still on Office 2003 -- if I tried to open a .___x file, it would ask me if I wanted to hit Microsoft's website for the free converter plugin...

As for filetypes -- I have to agree with RTF as a good "safe" one to use -- just about everything can read it, and if worse comes to worst, GoogleDocs (usable within gmail) can read them, too. Just about anything can read it, and you can even go back to using good ol' WordPad to edit them if you like (on Windows) -- Even W7 has it installed, they just don't tell you about it. Type write into the searchbar (vista/7) or do a search on write.exe (in XP) to dig it up. For plain text, I fell in love with NotePad++ some time ago ^_^

I cannot argue with PDF when it comes to "making sure the document looks exactly the same, regardless of OS" ^_^ Then again, afaik, that's the entire point of Portable Document Format....they sure as hell didn't name it that for having small file sizes...>_>
                Last edited by EricKei; 02-11-2011, 01:57 AM. Reason: MOAR
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X