This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illiterate Customer

One hour to close, internet technical support, and I get an Illiterate customer ....

Trying to diagnose this took 107 minutes. The supervisor is listening in and hitting her head on the table.

Turns out this lady keep turning off her monitor when I ask her to reboot. And she got 1 modem and 2 routers.

She does not listen to instructions. Turns out the installer set a static ip address of 169, and since I cant get her to go to the control panel, used command prompt. And she cannot spell words.

The supervisor is now sitting next to me, plugged in, hitting her head on the table and making faces.
    Good Morning Base, 209 is Mobile !

And other calls I have gotten over the years, the installer technician set the IP address to a Macintosh Airport IP (10.x.x.x) or 169, to drum up money for their main business of PC repair.

This of course leaves their internet disabled, so they return the next day to make even more money from the unlucky Customer
    Last edited by AlleyCat; 02-03-2011, 08:27 PM. Reason: typo fix
    Good Morning Base, 209 is Mobile !

Comment

In regards to the illiterate customer, I would have told him/her to have someone else who can follow instructions come to the phone.

In regards to the installer fouling up IP address configurations... that's just dirty. Are they contractors or full-time employees of your company?
      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth AlleyCat View Post
        And other calls I have gotten over the years, the installer technician set the IP address to a Macintosh Airport IP (10.x.x.x) or 169, to drum up money for their main business of PC repair.

This of course leaves their internet disabled, so they return the next day to make even more money from the unlucky Customer
        Thats WAY out of order. Were you able to tell the customer what the tech had done and suggest to them that it was extremely unethical?

The lady with the 107-minute call makes me want to cry. How on earth could someone with THAT much difficulty in following instructions and spelling function on the internet? I mean, if you cant spell ANYTHING, how can you even look up something that interests you on Google?
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

pray that google auto-corrects it?

though wait, we're both assuming she could spell google in the first place

Comment

It's the monkeys typing Shakespeare principle: If she types enough gobblety gook into the search bar, she'll eventually hit on what she's looking for.

Good thing icons are pretty representative of the programs.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

o yeah i forgot many browsers have a built in google search bar
              cos otherwise she might never be able to spell www.google.com

Comment

eh, she probably just presses the red and white button (youtube) on her bookmarks toolbar for funny videos and the other one for some random relatives photo journal.

I know how tech inept my parents are so I set up everything for them to be as easy and simple to use. But at least my parents admit they know nothign and ask me for help before asking anyone else.
                "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Arghhh...

My dad just got a laptop. He has no clue about the 'net - at all!

He keeps calling me at my office asking me questions. Unfortunate thing is that he's on a Mac and I'm a PC, otherwise, it would be a piece of cake.

Oh well - we're getting together this weekend and I've asked him to bring his 'puter. We'll hash it all out over a couple of drinks at my local that offers free access.

Should be fun - although I don't think there's enough Tequila to help me make it through the afternoon.
                  No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
                    In regards to the illiterate customer, I would have told him/her to have someone else who can follow instructions come to the phone.
                    I've done that for friends before.

"Hi sorry, what she meant was this, now what?"
                    "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

That is every tech support rep's nightmare. I hated getting stuck on a call till past closing time with Mr. I got a big ass problem that can't be solved or will take forever to solved or Mr.I'm so lonely and I can't stop talking.
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                      X