This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit the lights and punch it!

This is not exactly the most comforting thing to hear in the back of an ambulance right before you pass out.

So, last night, I accidentally found a tomato yet again. This shit is notoriously difficult to avoid. Anyway, I'd given myself two epi-pens before the paramedics got there, and they started an IV line and gave me Benadryl, but a few minutes into the ride I started to deteriorate again. I recall feeling like my throat was closing up and the paramedic trying to get my attention, then I remember him reaching over me to grab something and to tell the driver the quote in the title. I don't remember much else until I was actually at the hospital, still wheezing a bit, and overhearing the doctors deciding what else to give me (by this point, as I would find out, I'd already had 100mg of benadryl, 3 doses of epinephrine, solu-medrol, and something else I can't remember now.) I recall them discussing an intubation tray and an epi-drip via IV, but my memory goes fuzzy again.

So that's last night's excitement. I REALLY need to get better at avoiding tomatoes, but those suckers are everywhere. Grrrrr.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Better than 'Take your time, it won't make a difference.'

Do you find the epipens make you paranoid? I always think the doctors/EMS whatever are trying to hurt me after I get one (bee allergy), yet I'm usually too far gone to move or do anything about it.

Sorry about your night, hope you feel better in a day or two.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

They don't make me paranoid, but they do make me anxious and jittery.

And thanks for the well-wishes. I still feel cruddy today, but that's a bit counteracted by the absolute massive doses of prednisone they have me on. I have lots of energy, but I'm really not looking forward to the crash when I come off of it in five days.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Ouch! Glad you're doing better. Definitely avoid those tomatoes. The doctors were getting ready to intubate you, ie putting a tube down your throat to keep you breathing.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          They don't make me paranoid, but they do make me anxious and jittery.
          Epi does that. It's basically adrenaline, which is that wonderful hormone responsible for your fight or flight response. Apparently my dentist uses an anesthetic with epi in it. Something about helping it take effect faster (I'm not a pharmacist, so dunno how all that works). But it made me feel awful. Shaky hands, racing heart, jitters, headache, the works. I won't let them give it to me anymore.

But if I was having an anaphylactic reaction that'd be different.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
            Ouch! Glad you're doing better. Definitely avoid those tomatoes. The doctors were getting ready to intubate you, ie putting a tube down your throat to keep you breathing.
            Yeah, I've been intubated before. It's no fun. As sore as my throat is, I was wondering if they didn't start to intubate then change their minds or something. There's a fair bit of time I don't remember at all. The discharge papers don't mention intubation though.

And tomatoes are freaking impossible to avoid. I actually am very careful, but they find their way into places you wouldn't think they'd be. In this case, the likely culprit is cross contamination, even though things *should* have been safe for me (as in, my food was specially prepared with my allergies in mind--weird situation I don't care to explain). Something must have slipped, or the kitchen didn't follow all the proper protocols. A part of me thinks that the organizers of that particular kitchen didn't really believe me when I said how sensitive the allergy is and cut corners. I'm pretty sure they believe me now.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              Apparently my dentist uses an anesthetic with epi in it. Something about helping it take effect faster
              Not exactly. I asked my dentist about it. The adrenaline is used in the anaesthetic because it make the capillaries close up. That keeps the anaesthetic where it should be and makes it work longer.
              I usually ask for the adrenaline free version. I hate drooling when I'm at work .

Good thing you are with us still, Mathnerd. That was a close call. Get better soon. Where DID you find that tomato?

Comment

Under the creaky floorboard behind the kitchen dresser.

</blackadder>
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                  Apparently my dentist uses an anesthetic with epi in it. Something about helping it take effect faster (I'm not a pharmacist, so dunno how all that works). But it made me feel awful. Shaky hands, racing heart, jitters, headache, the works. I won't let them give it to me anymore.
                  I wonder if that's what was in the local anaesthetic I've been given whenever I've had the contraceptive implant put in. Basically straight after both operations, I've started shaking on the table and they've had to keep me there for a few minutes afterwards until the shaking goes down.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                  X