This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foods that you can't have

Rather than threadjack, I thought I'd pose this question to you in a new thread:

What foods can you absolutely NOT EAT? What foods did your doctor/health website/other ask you to avoid? What food allergies do you have? Do you have an intolerance to gluten? That kind of thing. Not foods that you can't stand: that has its own thread.

Me, I need meat, as I have anemia.

Also, thanks to my overactive bladder, I can't have the following:

cranberry juice
    orange juice
    citrus fruits
    lemonade and all variants
    strawberries (don't know why)
    caffeine
    pop/soda
    Fruitopia
    alcohol
    chocolate (a little bit is fine, but not a lot)
    tomatoes
    probably anything with MSG in it
    artificial sweetener
    milk with lactose in it
    pureed fruit (when I'm not really constipated)
    Last edited by cindybubbles; 10-15-2014, 07:26 PM. Reason: added more stuff to the list of things I can't have
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

I am allergic to the following:
    Bananas
    Avocodo
    Kiwi
    Mango
    Walnuts
    Almonds
    Carrots
    Celery
    Apples
    Pears
    Peaches
    Cherries
    Pecans
    Peanuts
    Pistachios
    Soy

Most of my allergies are only applicable to raw ingredients; for example, I can't eat raw carrots, but I can eat them if they're cooked. Raw apples or out but applesauce, apple butter, apple pie, etc. are okay.

I also have a disease called gastroparesis that means paralysis of the stomach. Basically I digest food much, much slower than the average person, so food sits in my stomach a lot longer than it should. As such, I'm not supposed to eat foods that are hard to digest or take a long time to digest normally, such as raw vegetables, whole grains, or anything with a lot of fiber. I eat a lot of soup, well-cooked meat, and white starches, and my meals are very small. I went to a friend's house for dinner tonight and had about 1/2 cup of spaghetti (not just the sauce -- the noodles and sauce combined) and he asked at first if that was just my "tasting plate."

Comment

I can't have blue cheese or certain soft cheeses (penicillin allergy)

We've since worked out that in the case of the soft cheeses, as long as I don't touch the rind I'm ok. (Ate a bit of Camembert and Brie on the weekend without the rind in either case and have had no reactions since)

On a side note, I really need to get an allergy test done.

I also suspect that I may be slightly lactose intolerant: whole milk gives me diarrhoea and makes me bloaty. Consuming skim milk or 1% fat milk gives me no issues.
      Last edited by fireheart; 01-03-2014, 03:50 AM.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My only food allergy as far as I know is bananas. I am also sensitive to aspartame.

My son seems to have an allergy to tree nuts.
        Last edited by XCashier; 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I don't have any outright food allergies, but I have a gluten sensitivity, and I get SEVERE GI distress from asparagus and beans (not just your everyday flatulence).

Hubby, on the other hand has several allergies

Pickles
          Mushrooms
          Dill
          Artichokes
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Lactose intolerant and it's getting worse, two Lactaid pills per dairy serving used to do me and now I'm up to four pills per dairy serving.
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Gluten, dairy and fructose intolerant, and either it's getting worse or I'm forgetting how bad things were before I was diagnosed and had my diet restricted because I'm still trying to get back to normal habits after Christmas and I only splurged twice over the course of a week.

Luckily for me, these aren't allergies and they aren't serious, but they certainly make things unpleasant if I slip up and eat something not on my list.
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Absolutely can not eat anything with an artificial sweetener. Lucky (?) for me, I am also highly sensitive to the flavor of the artificials, so it generally only takes one mouthful for me to realize it's there. Did you folks realize that a whole lot of syrup type medications are starting to use them in their formulas?

As a child I would become extremely physically ill when I ate chocolate ice cream. No other flavor, just chocolate. No idea what the cause was, but I have since grown out of it.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Anything that comes prepared with both dairy and fruit. Either separate is fine. I suspect it is a type of preservative that is used. Allergic reaction but mostly just hives in it. I can taste it if even a teaspoon is used in a large pan, so haven't had a problem in years.

Aspartame gives me a splitting headache and heartburn with even a little. I can also taste it even in tiny amounts (It tastes like warfarin smells; bitter, acidic with fake sweetness on top) so again no real problems.
                  Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Due to a liver condition, protein issues and lactose issues, I cannot eat

Dairy products
                    Cabbage
                    Brussel Sprouts
                    Broccoli
                    Cauliflower
                    Peppers
                    Pineapple
                    Beef
                    Chicken
                    Pork
                    Alcohol

Comment

Salmon - be it cooked or smoked I can't eat it else I spend 8-10 hours hugging a toilet.
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I'm on a low-fat, low-fiber diet for stomach issues, so nothing high in fat and/or fiber. Also, nothing with seeds or skins, and the vegetables must be thoroughly cooked. Also, no alcohol.

I'm also lactose intolerant and I have a really mild citrus allergy.

Anyone wanna go out to dinner with me?

Comment

I really need to be avoid foods high in Oxalic acids thanks to a tendency to generate Kidney Stones. Passed more than enough gravel to never want to do that again.

Comment

Thankfully most of my dietary issues boil down to me being a super picky eater. I do have a few food allergies though.

Tomatoes are deadly. My reaction to them is swift and life-threatening.

I'm also allergic to eggplant. While it's still an anaphylaxis reaction, it's a slower and less severe reaction than what I go through with tomatoes.

I can think of an awful lot of stuff I won't eat, but that's by choice. Tomatoes and eggplant are the only things I can't eat.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Thanks to my crohn's, I can't eat the following foods:

nuts (although I can eat nut butter)
                              seeds and foods like strawberries where I can't avoid the seeds in them
                              shredded coconut
                              foods that are too spicy
                              foods that are too greasy
                              red onions
                              dark pop (although light pops are ok)
                              corn and popcorn
                              applesauce

And because I had to have my gallbladder taken out I can't have anything too fatty either.
                              my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                              it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Working...
                              X