Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm allergic to tree nuts, though coconut seems to be okay. Haven't dared to see if pine nuts are okay also.

Melons like cantaloupe and watermelon.
    Avocado.

I still have random unexplained anaphylaxis reactions every year or so.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
      And because I had to have my gallbladder taken out I can't have anything too fatty either.
      I had mine out in 1995. I was in my diabetes education class, over 10 years later, when one of the other students mentioned it was going to be "fun" to add the diabetic diet on top of the gall bladder diet.

Me: Err, gall bladder diet?

Yeah, someone dropped the ball in my aftercare... no wonder I have so many digestive issues!

Note: I still have a lot of work to do on my diet, much of which consists of stop eating like a freaking teenager, and pretend I'm an adult... sometimes
      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

It looks like I may have developed IBS over the past year or so, and while I'm still trying to narrow down triggers, it doesn't look like I can have beef unless I'm prepared to suffer the consequences. So I get to spend the extra money on ground turkey from now on, it looks like. Eggs also seem to trigger it, especially when fried or boiled...scrambled in small quantities (like on a breakfast sandwich) doesn't seem to affect me too badly. Which sucks because I LOVE eggs. And eating a pint of ice cream in a single sitting is an occasional guilty pleasure of mine, but I think that may have triggered my last attack, so that may be out as well (I'm not QUITE done researching that particular trigger and I kinda overate in general that day, so it might have just been the quantity of food I consumed and not the ice cream).

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          I also suspect that I may be slightly lactose intolerant: whole milk gives me diarrhoea and makes me bloaty. Consuming skim milk or 1% fat milk gives me no issues.
          Doesn't sound like lactose intolerance to me. The lactose content is virtually the same across the spectrum from whole milk to skim - perhaps you've got an adverse reaction to butterfat? Do you get bloaty/runny when you eat butter? If so, does it happen with fats in general, or just butter? Do you react to hard cheeses (e.g. aged cheddar, or real Swiss)? These cheeses tend to have the full butterfat content, but the microorganisms that work during the aging process have depleted the lactose.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
            It looks like I may have developed IBS over the past year or so, and while I'm still trying to narrow down triggers, it doesn't look like I can have beef unless I'm prepared to suffer the consequences.
            I recently found a post on an IBS message board (can't remember which one) which suggested taking Caltrate to help IBS-D symptoms. I started taking Caltrate Calcium & Vitamin D Plus Minerals, 600+D (the purple bottle, 600mg of calcium plus vitamin D and a few other minerals) about 2 months ago, and it has helped my symptoms. It isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was. The people on that board were taking 2-3 pills a day, and they all raved about how much it helped. The dosage on the bottle is one pill, twice a day. I consulted my doctor, and he recommended for me to only take one a day (I think because I have high cholesterol, something about too much might leave calcified deposits in my arteries, which sounds like no fun)
            Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
            At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Quoth vikingchyk View Post
              Yeah, someone dropped the ball in my aftercare... no wonder I have so many digestive issues!
              Perhaps because not everyone reacts badly after having their gall bladder out, or at least not forever. I'm not saying they shouldn't have told you, but those I know who had their gall bladders out were either back to normal right away or were fine within a few months of the operation.
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                Tomatoes and eggplant are the only things I can't eat.
                As it happens, those two plants are in the same genus. Have you checked any of the other food plants in that genus for safety? (As opposed to the non-food plants in that genus, which are not safe for anybody.)

Comment

I'm mildly lactose intolerant, 1 latte macchiatto is fine, 2 not so much. Luckily I can get lactose free milk lattes most of the time.
                  After taking 100mg Aspirin for about 9 month I developed a chronic gastritis. Now that is really annoying! Anything with high acid content like tomatoes is off the table. Too much coffee is a bad idea, as is eating a big portion of something. I take pills to keep the stomach acid down, but once in a while it acts up. Meh!
                  No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

For me it isn't can't eat, it's don't eat/avoid. No food (or any other) allergies at all.

What I avoid, because I get an upset stomach, is deep fried foods.

I don't miss them one bit.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Shrimp, red food dye, chocolate after 3 pm, excessive salt, figs all cause migraines
                      ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                        As it happens, those two plants are in the same genus. Have you checked any of the other food plants in that genus for safety? (As opposed to the non-food plants in that genus, which are not safe for anybody.)
                        I get tested in the aftermath of most reactions. So far, the only things testing positive are tomatoes and eggplant. I haven't been tested since my last reaction, but I'd just been tested a few months prior to that.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          Doesn't sound like lactose intolerance to me. The lactose content is virtually the same across the spectrum from whole milk to skim - perhaps you've got an adverse reaction to butterfat? Do you get bloaty/runny when you eat butter? If so, does it happen with fats in general, or just butter? Do you react to hard cheeses (e.g. aged cheddar, or real Swiss)? These cheeses tend to have the full butterfat content, but the microorganisms that work during the aging process have depleted the lactose.
                          Lactose intolerance can be weird, though. Nobody believed me when I said that half & half in my coffee doesn't bother me, but using milk in it does. Turns out that for some people, different dairy products don't always give the same problems. Sometimes milk with cereal upsets my stomach; sometimes it doesn't. Using milk in my coffee almost always upsets my stomach. Half & half (1/2 cream and 1/2 milk for those who don't know) never does.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
                            I'm on a low-fat, low-fiber diet for stomach issues, so nothing high in fat and/or fiber. Also, nothing with seeds or skins, and the vegetables must be thoroughly cooked. Also, no alcohol.

I'm also lactose intolerant and I have a really mild citrus allergy.

Anyone wanna go out to dinner with me?
                            Not go out, I would rather make dinner, much easier. I make a lovely filet of sole flavored with thyme, in an entire portion there is only a teaspoon of butter [mainly so it doesn't stick to the parchment] that matches quite well with a ginger-carrot puree and for dessert an almond milk/corn starch pudding with rose essence sweetened with a tiny amount of honey. The carrot would be the highest fiber in the whole thing at about 3.5 gr per 1 cup serving.
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

In order of severity, my allergies are:

1) mild
                              onions (indigestion)
                              vinegar {when not neutralized with sugar} (indigestion)
                              tomato seeds {not ketchup or sauce} (indigestion)

2) moderate
                              strawberries (rash on belly)
                              celery (rash on hands and feet)
                              cucumbers (rash plus nausea)

3) severe
                              mushrooms (body rejects immediatelyaka vomit)
                              shellfish (swell up and die)

This can make ordering at restaurants... interesting, especially when the server gets annoyed at all my questions. Like a waiter at an Italian restaurant who, upon being asked if the lasagna had mushrooms in it, said that it didn't even though it did... my mom (who had more allergies than me including mushrooms) raised a fuss. The next time we went there, I played it safe with fettuccine Alfredo, only for them to bring everyone else's meals and forgetting mine. I haven't been back since.

ETA: I also have PCOS and diabetes as well as a sensitivity to spiciness, this just adds to the "fun".
                              Last edited by stitchwitch; 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM. Reason: add info
                              Persephone is the reason for the season.

Comment

With the exception of Extra brand gum, anything with aspartame is out for me. Extra gum does have some aspartame in it but it doesn't trigger a migraine, nausea, or horrible heartburn and a general feeling of ickyness. I can tell immediately if something has aspartame in it as it tastes extremely chemically to me.

Don't know what it is with pineapple, but any time I eat it, my lips, roof of my mouth and tongue all itch like mad. That's a new development and I'm not too keen on seeing if it's just an intolerance or possible allergy, so I stay away from pineapple. Which sucks because I like pineapple.

Comment

Working...
                                X