This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the same thing?

I recently came across a story on one of the Not Always Right sites talking about thrush, or at least getting OTC treatment for it.

Which made me wonder... is thrush the same thing as a yeast infection?

If not... what is it? I hadn't heard the term before.

My google-fu tells me that thrush and yeast infections are, in most cases, caused by the same microbe, candida albicans. So in a sense, yes, they are the same thing. What defines the difference is where the yeast is. In the mouth it's called thrush. Down below and it's a yeast infection.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

In Aussieland, down below it's also called thrush.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        In Aussieland, down below it's also called thrush.
        Same in Ireland and the UK.

Comment

Just like shingles and chicken pox are caused by the same virus. I wonder, what other illness is caused by the same microorganism as sheet metal roofing?

Quoth Kittish View Post
          In the mouth it's called thrush.
          And if it's a feathered corpse presented to you by your cat, it's a different kind of thrush.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I did actually know someone who's nickname was "thrush". Deserved it too, for reasons that should be self-explanatory.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

And if it's a feathered corpse presented to you by your cat, it's a different kind of thrush.
              Unless it's a pigeon...
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Thanks guys I was confused.

Comment

You know, I don't think I'll ever be able to read the fable of King Thrushbeard quite the same again. Thanks CS!
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Just like shingles and chicken pox are caused by the same virus. I wonder, what other illness is caused by the same microorganism as sheet metal roofing?

It still gets brought in to you by a pussy,though
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

G'night, everybody! *blows the audience a kiss and exits, stage left*
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I had thrush while in the hospital, on my tongue. Apparently the oxygen tubes in my nose dried out my mouth and bad bacteria took hold on my tongue where the good bacteria normally would have fought them off. Had to swish a disgusting thick mouthwash twice a day for about a week. It looked like the tongue was covered in yellow....I don't know...felt. Made things taste funny and made the tongue sensitive too.
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I think here in the States we call the mouth version "thrush" because new moms are freaked out about enough things that telling them that they and/or their baby are passing a yeast infection back and forth from breast feeding would totally gross them out and turn them off breast and onto bottles.

I had a terrible time with my second kid: I had a big purple splotch in the middle of each boob and he was constantly purple-mouthed from the gentian violet.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Working...
                          X