Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife's best friend is a nurse...like all nurses, she has some stories! (Most involving idiots, alcohol, and idiots consuming alcohol, but anyway...) Her most irritating patient was a woman who insisted on calling her "kid" and "shorty". (Note: she's only 4'5" tall.)

She has a kindred spirit, though: the head nurse on her usual shift is 4'10". (Amusingly, another nurse is a 6'8" dude.)

Comment

We use Datatel too. It's an odd program. Always sucks when room bookings go wrong. We've been lucky mostly that there have been few confrontations about it.
      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
        We use Datatel too. It's an odd program. Always sucks when room bookings go wrong. We've been lucky mostly that there have been few confrontations about it.
        Datatel sucks eggs. It is the most user unfriendly piece of software I've ever been forced to use.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Funly enough, I've been under general anaestatic twice in my life, and never acted weird. I fell asleep, was coherent enough to respond during post-op, fell asleep again, and felt OK once I woke up, and was then well enough to get out of bed and ask a nurse to order a taxi home for me.

I guess the only exception was when I apparently got too much laughing gas during childbirth that I started singing, but then the OB just cut off the gas and that was the end of it.
          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Well, that is different from Hun or Sweetie I suppose
            I'm sure I gave the ER people a laugh. According to my wife, for a few minutes, I responded to just about everything with "no, they went THAT way." It was accompanied with pointing in a random direction, and she says I poked a nurse in the face.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              Datatel sucks eggs. It is the most user unfriendly piece of software I've ever been forced to use.
              I've managed to get used to it and luckily don't have to use it for much other than looking up student or faculty schedules. We use a program called 25live for our room reservation and it is odd. I've managed to get the hang of it mostly but a lot of people hate it quite a bit.
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                Funly enough, I've been under general anaestatic twice in my life, and never acted weird. I fell asleep, was coherent enough to respond during post-op, fell asleep again, and felt OK once I woke up, and was then well enough to get out of bed and ask a nurse to order a taxi home for me.
                Everyone responds to medications in a different way. There are generalities of course, but individual responses may vary (YMMV in other words).

I've managed to get used to it and luckily don't have to use it for much other than looking up student or faculty schedules. We use a program called 25live for our room reservation and it is odd. I've managed to get the hang of it mostly but a lot of people hate it quite a bit.
                We use 25live too. It's not too bad. The problem I have with it is there are some rooms that should not be on it for people to reserve (for example, our nursing labs are not open for other departments to reserve because of the expensive equipment but that doesn't stop people from trying).

We're trying to get our computer lab taken off the grid. We only have the one, our department paid for the computers (meaning we have to replace them if broken or stolen), and we use that room a LOT.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

We use 25live too. It's not too bad. The problem I have with it is there are some rooms that should not be on it for people to reserve (for example, our nursing labs are not open for other departments to reserve because of the expensive equipment but that doesn't stop people from trying).

We're trying to get our computer lab taken off the grid. We only have the one, our department paid for the computers (meaning we have to replace them if broken or stolen), and we use that room a LOT.
                  I mostly wouldn't mind 25live except that I have to deal with other people dealing with it. I'm in charge of the cars that the college lets faculty members reserve and use for work related trips. They have to use 25live to do the requests and some of the secretaries have trouble with it. I don't have access/training for certain levels of troubleshooting so if someone calls about a reservation and I can't find it, I have to get someone else involved. Usually it's because the secretary did something weird but some of them have a knack for that.

Sounds like the scheduling dept set it up weird. Is your dept the one that has the power to approve/deny those room requests or is it scheduling that's doing that?

Comment

One of my friends managed to ingest some ant poison(!) after visiting a member of the church who had put it down to kill the ants that had plagued him on his previous visit. After despatching him to the hospital,he was attended by a Jamaican doctor.Upon seeing him,he remarked 'ah,the Black Reaper' and passed out for three days....
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I mostly wouldn't mind 25live except that I have to deal with other people dealing with it. <snip>

Sounds like the scheduling dept set it up weird. Is your dept the one that has the power to approve/deny those room requests or is it scheduling that's doing that?
                      It's really weird. Scheduling does it for most of the rooms on my floor that are "on the grid." We've managed to whittle that down to three classrooms. The rest have been turned into labs and were taken off the grid.

Of the three, one's a large lecture classroom that will always be on the grid, and the computer lab that we're trying to get off the grid.

Then there's the classroom with the anamatage table. That's still on the grid, but the division secretary schedules that one. At least that way she can limit it to classes in my division (Health Sciences). That's a $10,000 piece of equipment.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      One of my friends managed to ingest some ant poison(!) after visiting a member of the church who had put it down to kill the ants that had plagued him on his previous visit. After despatching him to the hospital,he was attended by a Jamaican doctor.Upon seeing him,he remarked 'ah,the Black Reaper' and passed out for three days....
                      Hoooookay.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                        Everyone responds to medications in a different way. There are generalities of course, but individual responses may vary (YMMV in other words).

My oldest son wakes up from general anesthesia craving cheeseburgers. It's become tradition now to stop by a place like Jack in the Box or similar fast food on the way home from surgery to get him a cheeseburger. If he's an inpatient, we ask if we can get a cheeseburger from nutrition as soon as he's allowed to eat. The nurses are usually awesome and humor that request.

Quoth Jarlaxle View Post
                        I'm sure I gave the ER people a laugh. According to my wife, for a few minutes, I responded to just about everything with "no, they went THAT way." It was accompanied with pointing in a random direction, and she says I poked a nurse in the face.
                        A few weeks ago I had a really severe allergic reaction (4 doses of epinephrine before/during transport, epi drip in the ER, multiple doses of benedryl and various inhaled and injected steroids, and basically everything just short of intubation, along with cardiac complications that got my ass admitted.) Anyway, I remember telling my boyfriend and middle son to get help and I remember giving myself a second epipen, then sitting down on the sidewalk. I don't remember much else until the next day. Apparently, I was still breathing and talking a little bit when paramedics arrived 2-3 minutes after 911 was called. My son tells me that as soon as the first truck pulled up, I looked at the paramedics and said "Fancy seeing you here!" I have absolutely no memory of this.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          *snicker* Black Reaper

Once we figured out which knock out meds and pre knock out meds gave me issues like dropping dead on the operating table [I have been dead - no, I didn't see any dead people or tunnels or funny lights, if nobody had told me I wouldn't know.] and waking up so hypothermic they had me wrapped in the water blanket and strapped down so I wouldn't shake myself off the gurney, I pop awake pretty much immediately and totally coherent. And ravenously hungry because in general I haven't eaten in a few days [or up to a week] I popped awake to find a couple corpsmen discussing the upcoming vacation in New Orleans of one of them, so I started telling them here to go for the best food on whatever day [like Monday's red beans and rice or the brisket at Tujague's] and when the nurse wandered in to the room to offer me ginger ale and crackers so I could demonstrate peeing and eating, I was already chowing down on a 20 piece McNugget with a giant iced tea.

Rob on the other hand could power chunder ginger ale and fruit salad 6 feet ... he says it is his favorite post op snack because it tastes the same both directions.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It's really weird. Scheduling does it for most of the rooms on my floor that are "on the grid." We've managed to whittle that down to three classrooms. The rest have been turned into labs and were taken off the grid.

Of the three, one's a large lecture classroom that will always be on the grid, and the computer lab that we're trying to get off the grid.

Then there's the classroom with the anamatage table. That's still on the grid, but the division secretary schedules that one. At least that way she can limit it to classes in my division (Health Sciences). That's a $10,000 piece of equipment.
                            Odd. I wonder if you guys can get it set up so that your department is the one approving room use at least.

I just had the fun time of discovering that when someone reserves 2 vehicles for 1 trip, it shows up on the calendar as 1 entry so we didn't realize at first why things were being weird.

Comment

Working...
                            X