This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid cold and trouble swallowing

If you recall, I made a post last year about my strep throat.

Well, this year, thanks to my friend/party host/birthday boy, it just might rear its ugly head into my throat once again!

You see, last week, I was a guest at my friend's birthday party at a Swiss Chalet, which he organized himself. I should have run back home when I heard from our other friends that he didn't sound well on the phone, but being a good friend, I stayed.

Turned out he had laryngitis, but still wanted to host the party instead of scheduling it for a later date, i.e. when he was BETTER. When he came, he was sitting across from me.

The rest of the party was uneventful. We had dinner, cake, presents, I picked up a used chicken bone and set it aside with the other bones (but I wiped my fingers afterwards!)

The next night, however, I was feeling feverish, and on Monday, I got a sore throat! This sore throat and coughing went on while I had my monthly "ow" and continues to this day.

It's gotten to the point where it's beginning to hurt when I swallow. I can still swallow, but anything too hard or large, and the lump in my throat complains.

My mom is going to check my throat again tomorrow. If all does not go well, it's the ER for me. But with any luck, I might not even need to see a doctor.

P.S.: Today my friend is hosting another birthday party, this time for two mutual friends. On Wednesday, when it became clear that I could not go, I told him so, and I reamed him out for not postponing his party until he got better.
    Last edited by cindybubbles; 05-04-2014, 01:35 AM.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

I might have bronchitis for real now.

Last night, I was up coughing and hacking for a long time. That's when Mom said that I should see a doctor at a walk-in clinic. We ruled out the ER because of the long wait times. Mom was caressing my head and rubbing my back with ointment, and trying her darnedest with cough medicine, Halls, etc. the whole time I was coughing. Thanks, Mom!

So I woke up, dressed, went to the washroom, and we left. No tooth-brushing or gargling as Mom said that I should look my worst when seeing the doctor.

The doctor gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin, but told me and my mom to call back in 2 days. If the throat swab is negative, he said we should stop medication.

Let me know about your strep throat/bronchitis problems! I'm sure we've got some good candidates for the 2014 Strep Throat/Bronchitis Olympics!
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post

Let me know about your strep throat/bronchitis problems! I'm sure we've got some good candidates for the 2014 Strep Throat/Bronchitis Olympics!
      Just had over a weeks worth (and still not cured it yet) of a horrible virus with cough and nasal issues which is being exasperated by my wisdom teeth. Just about got it down to a 'manageable' level with a night out and lots of alcohol last night.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

When I was a child, we nearly lost my father to - not bronchitis, the one where the infection is all the way into the lungs.

Mum was certain something was wrong with him, took him to the family doctor. He didn't think it was anything serious and sent Dad home. Mum took Dad to a different doctor, because her instincts and experience were screaming at her. Definite lung infection, serious breathing issues, and the second doctor, apparently, reported the first to the medical board for missing it.

But the delay apparently meant that Dad was much, much worse.

I don't have details: I was young enough that my own memory of the situation was scared-adults and sick-Daddy and us kids not being allowed to get too close to sick-Daddy and that was ALL WRONG.
        (cue child-not-understanding scared crying)
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

UPDATE: My mom is sure that I have bronchitis, so we're not stopping the meds. Not even going to call the doctor to confirm the throat swab.

Why? I had another night of coughing and hacking, plus fever. Mom did another round of rubbing me all over with Vicks and more cough medicine until I could finally sleep.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

The first time I had strep was about the same time I started the job I've been at now for going on 10 years. My throat was so sore I couldn't eat, just barely able to take my medicine. I lost about 10 lbs because of it. I was out from work for a week, tried to go back and ended up going back to the urgent care that day because I was still sick. It was that bad.

Even the acute bronchitis I got a few years later was nothing compared to this.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

UPDATE: My mom is sure that I have bronchitis, so we're not stopping the meds. Not even going to call the doctor to confirm the throat swab.

Why? I had another night of coughing and hacking, plus fever. Mom did another round of rubbing me all over with Vicks and more cough medicine until I could finally sleep.
              Please consult with the physician before completing the antibiotics. You don't know what you have. It could be strep or the flu. He's the doctor, your mom is not and we have to stop taking antibiotics when they are unnecessary (honestly, he shouldn't even have prescribed them in the first place without a positive rapid strep, which should have been done in the office).

If the doc thinks you should finish the antibiotics, then make sure you take them until they are completely done. But please pull him into the loop.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My mother was a nurse until she retired. She now thinks I have the flu now (some kinds of bronchitis are caused by viral infections), but says that we're going to finish the meds anyway so that the bacteria won't become resistant.

Still coughing, but I'm getting better now. The antibiotics helped.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                  Just had over a weeks worth (and still not cured it yet) of a horrible virus with cough and nasal issues which is being exasperated by my wisdom teeth. Just about got it down to a 'manageable' level with a night out and lots of alcohol last night.
                  I used to get something like this at least once a year. I have an impacted wisdom tooth (it's grown sideways below the gum) so every time I'd get a really sore throat, my glands would swell, pushing against the tooth. Cue at least a week of pain

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                    I used to get something like this at least once a year. I have an impacted wisdom tooth (it's grown sideways below the gum)
                    Yep..... I've got the appointments to get them out coming through soon.... under local.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

cindy, I'm feeling your pain right now.

Nasty cold at the moment. Am truly miserable, and the decongestants aren't helping. I can't take Sudafed because I have high blood pressure

I know this will only last a few days at most, but really . . . .

When will this ever end?
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                        Yep..... I've got the appointments to get them out coming through soon.... under local.
                        I had all 4 of mine chiseled out my senior year in HS over Christmas vacation. I was tranked off my ass and tripped and fell on the way out and broke my jaw. I don't even remember breaking my jaw, getting hauled back in, getting my jaws wired shut or getting hauled out to my Mom's car, home to her house and tucked into bed. I woke up the next day, unable to open my mouth and really puzzled as to what the hell happened! I did get a few weeks of wicked good pain killers, and a couple extra weeks off school.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I finished my antibiotics long ago, and I still had big coughing fits.

I still have the occasional cough or two, but it's better. However, I now have my monthly "ow" again.

When will I ever get better? Summer?
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I finished my antibiotics long ago, and I still had big coughing fits.

I still have the occasional cough or two, but it's better. However, I now have my monthly "ow" again.

When will I ever get better? Summer?
                            You were coughing because you didn't have a bacterial illness. It may not be respiratory at all. It was either a viral illness, and a continued cough is not uncommon, or you could have an issue with reflux (GERD). URI's this time of year tend to hang on for weeks, so you may be stuck with it for awhile. Your doctor should re-evaluate it if it comes back.

Comment

I'm guessing it was a viral one, albeit one that pretty much kept me at home for at least a month.

I'm getting better, I hope.
                              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                              X