This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cancel War

<bg> We wholesale our goods and our customers can order via web interface, phone, email, fax and even snail mail. </bg>

So there is this medium sized shop, owned by two people (this is important later). The story starts this Monday. The saleswoman responsible for this account noticed several orders cancelled right away: order - cancelled - new order - cancelled... as she watched the next order - cancelled pair showed up in her inbox. She phoned them, only to learn that the owners were fighting each other for control over the shop, thus when one of them ordered the other cancelled right away and put in another order which the other cancelled - ad infinitum, ad absurdum! She told them to cut it out, using only slightly nicer words. There were no more orders that day.

On Tuesday: no more orders - they are taking their time.

On Wednesday: here we go again... order - cancelled - order etc. Now the sales manager got involved, who in turn involved me. We discussed it and decided that we couldn't care less about their fight, but that this order and cancelling game was unacceptable. So we revoked their ability to order online, they have to order via fax or snail mail now and we require a signature from both of them. The phone call - this time by the sales manager - involved a lot of sulking and "This is not fair" whines.

On Thursday - today: no more orders, they should be running low by now, judging from their order history, we'll see if they can get their act together and order tomorrow.
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Why do I suspect the two owners in question are spouses or relatives?
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

This sounds like the segue into a blaring headline: Business Owners Shoot Each Other in Fatal Dispute!"

Employees say that the two owners had been squabbling over the management of the business, but "I never knew that they had both started carrying guns," said long time employee, Homer Simpson.
      To seek it with thimbles, to seek it with care;
      To pursue it with forks and hope;
      To threaten its life with a railway share;
      To charm it with forks and hope!

Comment

Yeah, they share a lastname, I think they are brothers. Don't you just love family feuds...

Comment

I'd think these immature jerks deserve to have the "business" collapse, but I'd hate to see any employees harmed by their childish stupidity.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Mondestrucken View Post
            This sounds like the segue into a blaring headline: Business Owners Shoot Each Other in Fatal Dispute!"

Employees say that the two owners had been squabbling over the management of the business, but "I never knew that they had both started carrying guns," said long time employee, Homer Simpson.
            Monty and Smithers?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Even if they weren't related, a lot of business partnerships end up like this. Running a small business is stressful, and when things aren't going well (and the vast majority of new business fail within a few years) it's pretty common for two partners, neither one of which is actually in charge, to start taking it out on each other while the business goes down in flames around them.

Comment

I was going to say they're acting like children, and that was BEFORE one of them actually said "NOT FAIR!" and clinched it.
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

sirwired -- Actually, a vast number die within the first six months...but yeah, any that survive past a year still fall apart within a few years more.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

OMG it's NOT FAIR that you won't let them play drama queens on your ordering system? Really??

Five year olds are more mature than this.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I think the OP's company missed a trick here. A quick amendment to the ordering process, add the text "orders are considered final, cancellation will incur an X% restocking fee" & see which gives out first, their spare cash or their anger at each other!
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I know one small business that has co-owners.

Of course, they have two stores, in two different cities, though they share expenses and inventory. It might also help that one of the two is essentially the CEO/President while the other is Vice President, so one guy is actually in charge of everything, while the other is the Manager of the second store.

They have been open going on 7 years, no sign of slowing down either. (personally, I hope he can become large enough to compete with Game Stop)
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth BeeMused View Post
                          Yeah, they share a lastname, I think they are brothers. Don't you just love family feuds...
                          Brothers? When I read the first post, I was thinking husband and wife!

But if that were true, they should have been divorced by now!
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                            Brothers? When I read the first post, I was thinking husband and wife!
                            Erm... They're both?
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                              I think the OP's company missed a trick here. A quick amendment to the ordering process, add the text "orders are considered final, cancellation will incur an X% restocking fee" & see which gives out first, their spare cash or their anger at each other!
                              Interesting idea...

Oh... no order on Friday...

Comment

Working...
                              X