This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mind your f'n business

We're doing an office move and I'm at the shipping end loading the truck. It's typical for our moves where the customers failed to observe the instructions of "Do not load bins overly heavy, there is a 40 lb maximum on all bins that we will move". Now, while I'm certainly not qualifying for any "world's strongest man" competitions, considering that I can lift a full box of photocopy paper with one arm, I'd say that I've got adequate strength if this instruction is followed. But since our bins hold about a box and a half worth of paper, they can get pretty chunky.

So that's what we're dealing with and suffice to say, I'm not very happy about it. Then we come across some boxes. I don't know what was inside of them but they were ridiculously heavy; I couldn't even lift them. It took me and my (bigger and stronger) helper just to move them. We went to the next box and it was even heavier. It was all we could do to get them stacked up. I made a comment to my buddy that I've got to check on the labour laws to see if there are limits on what we can be forced to lift. Just as a I said this, some asshole was climbing over our ramp and going through the off limits door so he overheard me. He could have easily kept it to himself, but he's got to make a comment to me:

DA: Oh, you got a problem with heavy things?
    Me: Excuse me?!? Not that my private conversation with my friend here is any of your business but yeah, I don't like wrecking my body lifting ridiculously overloaded boxes.
    DA: Well it's your job isn't it? You don't like doing your job?
    Me: My job is to move things within the 40 lb limit listed in your instructions that apparently nobody bothered to read. To say nothing of common sense telling you that human beings have to move these things so maybe they shouldn't be packed at 100 pounds and more.
    DA: You guys are movers, you should be able to do this.
    Me: Yeah, and we are. Now if you don't mind please observe the safety protocols that were in your move instructions and stay the hell away from my truck.

With a final stare that told me that he'd be complaining about me, he finally moved on. I mean, just mind your fucking business asshole. "Wow, a worker griping about shitty working conditions in the privacy of a truck where nobody should hear him except for someone stupid enough to walk through the blocked off door. I should say something to him".
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I think you need the following:

- A scale for use on any suspiciously heavy boxes
    - A change to the contract, immediately after it says that boxes are to be loaded to no more than 40 pounds. Any box over 50 pounds (give them a bit of leeway - and the box of paper you said you can lift with one hand is 50 pounds, assuming letter size) carries a surcharge of $10/pound for each pound over 50 pounds, and that any box over 100 pounds will be left on the loading dock.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'd change it so that any box over 50lbs would be left on the loading deck, and that anything over 40lbs will have an added surcharge up to and including 50lbs.

Comment

Idiot

Yes, I would call this guy an idiot.

Decades ago when I was working on my cabin my ex-girlfriend was talking me down by comparing how much building materials I would carry at a time vs some men she knew who were into construction out in Western Canada.

Jump forward a few years, and she went out West to visit some relatives. At the same time she visited some of those men who lifted so much in their youth.

When she came back she was lamenting on how broken down so many of those same men had become over the years. Accidents and damages to their backs over the years now turned those men into people she did not find that attractive anymore. On the other-hand my back is still fine to this very day.

There is a reason the Health and Safety Board of most countries puts a limit on amount of weight to lift repeatedly vs the max one could pick up.
        Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 11-10-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

There is a special place in hell for people who think they can do your job better than you can, and they know how YOU should be doing it.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            There is a special place in hell for people who think they can do your job better than you can, and they know how YOU should be doing it.
            What really pisses me off is that this was some pencil pushing dipshit who would be on compensation for the rest of his pathetic life if he had to lift anything heavier than his coffee, and he's giving me this attitude of "just shut up and be glad that you have a job".

Quoth earl colby pottinger
            When she came back she was lamenting on how broken down so many of those same men had become over the years. Accidents and damages to their backs over the years now turned those men into people she did not find that attractive anymore. On the other-hand my back is still fine to this very day.

There is a reason the Health and Safety Board of most countries puts a limit on amount of weight to lift repeatedly vs the max one could pick up.
            Oh yeah, I've only got of few more years, if not days, in this industry before my body is going to give out. Jobs like this just accelerate my deterioration.

I checked the labour laws since writing this and while there is no specific limit, it is up to the employer to come up with a reasonable system based on frequency and other factors. This is why we have the 40 lb weight limit, but of course that requires the dumbasses like me to stand my ground, then have my management back me up.
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

There's no persuading, or arguing with dimwits like that. I think my response (which may or may not get me fired) to the first thing he said would be, "Go away." And if I could make my face like Vivian's, I would stare at him until he cried.

Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

^^ Love that, and her.

I am afflicted with 'resting bitch face' and use it to my advantage, too. However, I'm not a tenth as gorgeous as Vivien.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  I am afflicted Blessed with 'resting bitch face' and use it to my advantage, too.
                  fixed

The only thing I'm afflicted with is idiots that think I exist to look pretty for them and are constantly telling me to smile I'm a guard, I don't smile, and I'm not your friend. <_<
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I, too, have resting bitch face. I wish I could channel it into a Death Stare as effectively as that lovely lady.
                    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I've been told I look angry all the time. I don't know where anybody would get that idea.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I too wish I had that face. My resting face looks more lonely/depressed than bitch though. Unfortunately.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          I've been told I look angry all the time. I don't know where anybody would get that idea.
                          I've been told I look like I'm pissed off most of the time . . . even when I'm not.

And I'm nowhere near as photogenic as Vivien Leigh though . . . *sigh*
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I've been told that I look like I want to murder everyone in the room. I typically answer with "What's your point?" or "Not everyone!"
                            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

After working retail long enough, don't you suspect it's because society says if you don't have a big grin plastered on, that you are unhappy? The other day I heard an exchange where a near-stranger told a little girl to smile because smiling "makes you look pretty." That is how many people think, and I'm so happy my parents just left me alone in that area.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X