This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She did it YESTERDAY!

I had someone yesterday, in fact I've had many people say the same thing, that got pissed when I told them something they didn't want to hear.

A lady comes in to pay her bill with a debit card. I tell her my computer can only run cash or check. She tells me debit is cash. While I understand that, I can not physically run a card through a payment process. She gets mad and says "Well the lady yesterday did it for me". I told her that wasn't possible, as for the 2 years I have been there no register could run a debit card. *sigh* "I suppose I will pay cash" and she does and is on her merry way. I don't know how many times this has happened, but it still seems a little funny to me

ah, people do that all the time where I work. We do that walk to find a cure for diabetes thing, where people buy a little paper shoe for a dollar and it goes toward finding a cure. The thing is, we do it every few months so it starts and stops. I've asked people if they'd like to buy one and they say "Oh, no thanks. I bought one yesterday." Right, we just started it up again, TODAY.

why do they think they won't get caught in a lie?
    We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

The lies, the lies. Customers are good at that.

In their little stupid simple minds, they swear one day they will come across a newbie who will believe the "Guy who works on Fridays ALWAYS does it for ME!" or "They always do it for ME!" or "But the other girl did it for me yesterday!"

Or they think for whatever stupid reason that that will actually work.

Sorry, you lose. Good day, sir.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

If I had dollar for everytime I've heard the "Well I just....." line, I'd be a rather rich person.

No you didn't, because it's not possible. And of course, when pressed the SC always caves, because they are BS'ing and thought it would work.

Even worse the customer who disagrees with everything you say, argues the whole time, than gets proven wrong all counts. Do they appologize? Almost never.
        Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post
          ah, people do that all the time where I work. We do that walk to find a cure for diabetes thing, where people buy a little paper shoe for a dollar and it goes toward finding a cure.
          I'm a sucker for those things-anyone asks me to buy any of the $1 to charity things-I'm in for it-heck it's only a dollar-local petstore loves me, I'm one of the few that always donates to the "help homeless animals" when you swipe your debit/credit cards.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The best customer lies are the ones that are pertaining to situations that are not physically possible.
            Like the debit option for paying a bill.
            If the computer doesn't allow it it CAN'T happen. End of story.

People have pulled the same lie on me, only they wanted to use a credit card to pay a bill.
            We can only take cash or debit for bill payments (cheques used to be an option but we don't take them anymore, though they still show up as an option on the registers).

One woman insisted another cashier took her Visa for a payment so I asked her to come over to the register, prompted it for a CC bill payment and, when it got to the point where it asks me their method of payment, showed her the screen and asked her, "Now how do you suggest I go about processing this with a credit card?"

She shut up real fast.

I should really have been fired about a dozen times for the stuff I pull.

I also do something similar when I'm on debit and credit only lanes.
            When people ream me out for not taking cash I open the register and show them that I don't have a tray and ask, "So how do you expect me to take cash?"

And I reiterate: I should really have been fired about a dozen times for the stuff I pull.
            Last edited by rerant; 03-07-2008, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
              And I reiterate: I should really have been fired about a dozen times for the stuff I pull.
              Maybe somebody in management thinks it's about time entitlement whores got their comeuppance and they're living vicariously through you...

And it's not like you're being rude. You're just proving the impossibility of their demands.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Everybody lies.

Thank you, Dr. House.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I used to HATE it when I worked at a department store and a customer would hand me their debit card and ask for it to be run through as credit not debit.

Now, I understand that a lot of places, like grocery stores can run a debit card as credit, and it still comes out of the same account either way.

But at the department store, we just swipe the card. No choices. No pin numbers. The money will come out of whatever the primary account is for the card.

I would get screamed at "BUT I WANT TO USE MY CREDIT ACCOUNT!!!" Then give me your credit card, idiot. I would show them our screen, which only has options for visa, mastercard, etc...for if you have to enter a card manually. But that usually didn't even help.
                  "What size can I get you, ma'am?"
                  "Red."
                  "Okay...I'll check the red for you, but what size do you need?"
                  "RED!"
                  "..."

Comment

Quoth IHateStupidCustomers
                    But at the department store, we just swipe the card. No choices. No pin numbers. The money will come out of whatever the primary account is for the card.
                    So without a PIN, it's basically being run as credit, if I'm reading that right. No worries for the customer! (Yeah, try telling them that.)
                    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Sooo many people just don't seem to get that sometimes the option THEY want is not an option offered and that bleating about it won't change things.
                      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

ok, at least when I lie about those stickers I'll do something that I know can't be caught (usually I say I donated at work, which actually a lot of the time is true).
                        Oh, and I love when people will say things like "well, I saw such and such rate online can you match that"... sure, I'll book at it the best flex rate and give you the confirmation number for your reservation then you'll have 24 hours to fill out this form on our website to have it adjusted... I really love it when they admit having read the form and know it won't work because they were looking at priceline or hotwire and it is giving a special discount on a hotel class not a specific hotel (ie, it will give you a rate for a 3 star in downtown san diego but doesn't guarantee which 3 star)
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I loved what a co-worker told an SC a while back.

Theres a certain brand of cigarettes that costs more at our store than other places. This happened very recently.

He told SC the price ($5.08) and she said "other co-worker" only charged me $4.33 yesterday! He just said...

Then you got one over on him then didnt you? The price is $5.08 pay or leave.

She paid but then came and found me and asked me how much they were. When I said $5.08 she shut up and left.

The other co-worker KNOWS the price, we know he didnt charge her less than $5.08.

Comment

Working...
                          X