This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooh! Hot coffee!

So I was waiting for my usual coffee order, when four kids minus their mother walked over to wait with me. I didn't mind until one of them started climbing up onto the bench where the barista was making the coffees. My brain-to-mouth filter failed, and I snapped in my sternest voice "Oi! Get down from there NOW!" The kid scambled down and stared at me in shock, the older sister looked at me and opened her mouth to say something. I arched an eyebrow and glared at her. she closed her mouth and they all meekly waited for their mother to join them. The eldest immediately said "Mum, she yelled at *****!" in an extra-whiny tone. The younger girl started trying to climb on the bench again until she caught me glaring at her, and the mother told the eldest "She's a grown-up, you need to listen to her because she had a good reason to tell ***** off!"
    While all this was happening, my coffees were served so I thanked the barista, was thanked in return and smiled at the tired-looking mum on the way out.
    I was expecting to be yelled at for telling the kid off, but received a smile in return.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

OMG. A parent.
    Good work Mishi, in uncovering a gem!
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I had to read this twice to fully absorb the win.

Comment

Good for you! But I wonder why Mum didn't yell at the kids first.

Hmmm, that way she can blame their discipline on outside factors and they wont hate her perhaps...
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Think the mother joined after the yelling. I have to agree, that was awesome. Its sad when people celebrate good parenting as if it was very rare, but gives me a bit more hope for humanity.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Yup, she was busy with her order so sent the kids to wait near me because they were getting in the way of other people. I guess I look friendly? Never mind the Slipknot shirt
            Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

I'm always happy to read about a genuine parent who completely accepts that other adults may speak up and redress their children for misbehaving.

Couple of similar experiences at the wholesale club:

Father had decided not to get some toy or DVD or other, something that Little Boy wanted. Little Boy points at the item and makes it known he wants it. I look to the Father for my cue, and he shakes his head. So I tell Little Boy, "No." He glares at me, then looks pointedly at my shin and starts to draw his foot back with intent to kick. Seeing this, I tell him, "You kick me, I will hit you back." Little Boy stops, looks startled at this, and stops to think about it. Then he decides to kick me anyway. So I give him a nice little tap on the head. Just enough to jostle him, for him to feel it, not enough to really hurt or bruise. He claps his hands to his head, pulls an face, and turns to his Father, who just shrugs and says, "He warned you."

I like to think that Little Boy learned a lesson that day, namely that there are people who will hit back.

Second story involves those heelie shoes. At the time, the store was trying to crack down on kids zipping around on those inside the store. I'm at the front door, and this dad and his two boys are leaving. The boys come zipping up on their heelies, and as I'm taking the dad's receipt, I tell them, "No heelies in the store, please." As soon as I punch dad's receipt, they start to zip off again, and I say, quite sharply, "WHAT did I just finish telling you?" They stop, shocked, look to their dad, who just gives them a roll of the eyes and a "he did just tell you to stop" look, and they walk out of the store.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I am truly terrible, I thought of something completely different when I read the title. However it's awesome that a parent was actually agreeing with you when others would have just yelled at you.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

A couple Sundays ago when I was with a group of people from church at the Koffee Kuppe, there was this family with...I think he was 2 or 3 years old. Adorable kid, but very energetic. He was running around, climbing under tables, and poking at the windows, which because it was our group and that family, wasn't so big a deal. He didn't go back to where the store was (havoc would have ensued, I guess) and when he tried to go back to where the coffee lady was, she shooed him out and he giggled and played peek-a-boo from under a table for a while. His mother started to get upset that the coffee lady had shooed him, but his gramma was so cool, she told her "And if he had gotten back there, and drank some of the coffee syrups, or found the knives they cut sandwiches with, or even the soup kettle, you would have been even more upset. Get over it." Gooooooo Gramma!
                  Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                  http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                    I have to agree, that was awesome. Its sad when people celebrate good parenting as if it was very rare, but gives me a bit more hope for humanity.
                    DH and I had an extended shopping day not long ago to catch up on a few things, and twice that day we saw an instance of a child acting up, and a mother dealing with them (talking sternly, taking them aside, etc). In both cases we just looked at each other and said, Wow, actual parenting!

It really is rather sad that we seem to notice and comment more on instances like that than on annoying children being allowed to keep being annoying (or actually encouraged to be so) by non-parenting parents.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X