This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suuuuuure. You forgot your Zip Code.

I was in line at a Red Box DVD/Blu-ray machine yesterday. The skanky looking young woman in front of me was selecting movies. The machine told her she had selected the maximum number of discs allowed to be rented at one time.

She then pulled a credit card out of her wallet. After she swiped it, the machine asked her to enter the Zip Code for the billing address for the card. She hesitated and looked around nervously. Then she turned and asked me what the Zip Code was for where we were. (Side note: I happen to live in an area where the boundaries of three Zip Codes meet.) I told her the machine wanted the Zip Code for the card, not the machine's location. She then asked me what my Zip Code was. I gave her my “are you kidding me?” look and asked her why she did not know her own Zip Code.

She replied a little hesitantly that she had forgotten it. I told her to look at her driver’s license that I could see in her wallet. She then got a REALLY freaked out look on her face and walked away quickly.

I can only hope the card’s real owner already had reported it as stolen.
    Last edited by South Texan; 09-05-2010, 05:39 PM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Yeesh! I hope so too. Scammers need to do their homework.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

I've asked that before... of course, I lived across the street from the gas station in question and had just moved/updated my infos. :P Who gets rental movies on a stolen credit card? Live a little!

Comment

granted i can say i've forgotten mine before
        but that's usually in conjunction with moving to a new ship.*

and i've brain farted on my current one... which is really sad cos... i grew up here too

tho i've never brain farted on the machines tho.

*(tho it was fun giving them the ship's zip when they ask for it for a survey)

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
          Who gets rental movies on a stolen credit card? Live a little!
          She's probably stealing them.

Comment

Just make one up? Can't be that difficult...

I may be over judging her intelligence however.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              *(tho it was fun giving them the ship's zip when they ask for it for a survey)
              Funnier when they get into sweepstakes mailings.

"Yes! You qualify for the first-prize drawing for a custom built new home in beautiful APO, NY..."

Comment

Quoth Justin View Post
                Just make one up? Can't be that difficult...

I may be over judging her intelligence however.
                It's next to impossible. Because if you enter in an invalid zip code, the pos won't take it. It will say "invalid zip code" and ask again.

I know this because I had a similar thing happen last week. Sometimes I don't know mine. I know that sounds kind of weird, just trust me. That's how my brain works. In fact, usually, I don't. If I am tired, stressed, whatever. It's a string a numbers and I have dyscalculia.

I don't know my phone number, either. Actually, I never know that one. It's full of sevens and fives and threes and those are pretty much the worst ones to have to work with. But I never call me, so whatev.

But anyways, yeah. The conversation went thusly:

Clerk: It wants your billing code.
                Me: I don't know what a billing code is.
                Clerk: Your zip code.
                Me: Oh. Yeah, I don't know what that is. Can you not just override it?
                Clerk: You don't know your zip code?
                Me: Nope.
                Clerk: I can't do it without your zip code.
                Me: I guess we have a situation, then, don't we?

Turned out, surprise surprise, she actually could do it without the zip code. Knock me over with a freaking feather.

I'm sure she either thought I was abyssmally stupid or just screwing with her. Meh. However, had she asked for ID following that little exchange, I would have been happy to give it to her. The fact that the chick in the OP's story got a little freaked out certainly looks suspect.
                Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 09-07-2010, 03:12 AM.

Comment

The small town I lived in used to have different zip-codes for different parts of town, then a while ago they changed it so the whole town had one zip code. My bank accounts were opened after the change had happened, but I know several people that have one credit card associated with the old zip code, and another one associated with the new zip code.

In addition each subset of town used to be called that subset, and now it's all 'town name' which makes it hard to verify the town over the phone, without giving them more then one answer.

Comment

Quoth TexasT View Post
                    She's probably stealing them.
                    And it would be very hard to find her, as the only record of her using the card would probably be a poor quality, security video.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

It doesn't surprise me at all anymore when someone doesn't know their own postal code. In my professional experience, I'd say that about 75% of of the general population doesn't have their zip/postal code memorized.

Hell, I'm not even surprised anymore when a grown adult doesn't know what a postal code is.
                      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I can understand someone in the general US not getting what you want when you ask for a postal code, because unless you do work that involves international shipments, you've likely never heard the term. This country is pretty huge, after all, and most people hardly leave their home state.

As for knowing my own info, I make a point whenever I move to have a little crib sheet with all the necessary data so I don't have to inconvenience clerks who are only just doing their jobs.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm a little embarassed about my phone number problem. I can usually recall my postal code (not always, but usually) but there is no way in hell I will be able to learn my phone number. I never call it, it's a cell phone.

I could remember the land line, but that has gone away and now I have a number I will never call.

I just saved it as the first contact on my cell phone. If I need it, I can just open my contacts and there it is at the top.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            Clerk: It wants your billing code.
                            Me: I don't know what a billing code is.
                            Clerk: Your zip code.
                            Me: Oh. Yeah, I don't know what that is. Can you not just override it?
                            Clerk: You don't know your zip code?
                            Me: Nope.
                            Clerk: I can't do it without your zip code.
                            Me: I guess we have a situation, then, don't we?

Turned out, surprise surprise, she actually could do it without the zip code. Knock me over with a freaking feather.
                            The Fabric Store has started asking customers for their zip code (yet another Brilliant Idea™ from Corporate who thinks we don't have enough to do ). The cash register won't let you finish the transaction without a zip code. Some customers really freak out about giving their zip code, as if we're going to hunt through thousands of other people who live there and find them!

If the customer, for some reason, refuses to give their zip code, I just enter the store's zip code. I honestly don't care enough to fight over the customer's zip code.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                            X