This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Mainly due to the fact it was done even before they did anything of the sort, there was the old clasics like "Dracula vs. The Wolfman!" and such. Having monsters fight each other isn't anything new.
    The part about Underworld that seemed very White Wolf to me was with the abominations. I know that part of the lore that's not mentioned a whole lot in White Wolf has to do with werewolves who are turned into vampires, which creates abominations. These were also in Underworld. However, I'm not sure if there is mythology about such creatures anywhere.
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Sorry, I did not mean for the White Wolf suing the studios as a literal thing, more of my inner opinion. My apologies if that set anyone off, my bad.

Geek King, I do agree that Monster vs. Monster has been done before and that ancient mythology is full of it. It just seems that many of the modern X vs. Y monster romps are pale draws off of WoD. This could be just my skewed perspective as I am an avid fan of WoD lore. I do have to agree that Underworld more than likely did bump the sales of NWoD for both Vampire: The Requiem and Werewolf:The Forsaken. Given how popular NWod is, I always see these films as an attempt to cash in on the market with poor representations. Basically, I would love to actually see a direct WoD movie.
      Last edited by Crawling_Chaos; 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM.

Comment

The kid may just be fearing Inception's rather cerebral plot...or at least I think I've been told it's rather cerebral, I haven't seen it.

Ah we all like our little foibles. I think the Airbender movie is awesome, and hate the awful humour of the series. I like the Live-Action Transformers movies, in fact they were my introduction to the whole universe. As to Twilight, I'm fascinated by the societical effects of the series. Itself, though...the books seemed to be a combination of Regency romance and vampires, two genres I have no interest in; and I have watched the first two movies on DVD by my own choice, but found them uncomfortably dull!! I don't think I have anything that I will refuse point-blank to watch or read (listen yes; rather eclectic taste in music!!) but if I don't like it I won't exactly throw it into a volcano or anything.
        "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

I'm not a fan of vampires. Never have been. I write about them, I sometimes rp them, given the right motivation. But I don't like them. Forgive my humble opinion but in my view point, they are just parasites. That's just how I see them.

My sister and mum love Twilight, and have argued with me up and down about not enjoying the books. (They are of the mindset if I enjoy fantasy I MUST enjoy this series ) Yeah... no. I tried to read the first book and put it down in disgust. I read reviews of the movie, and saw that the actor who plays Edward wants to beat his character up! Yeah. Not something I want to watch either.

But for those of you who mentioned an interest in vampire pirates. There is a book series out call Vampirates, I think there are four books out in the series. And there is a webcomic out (for longer then the Vampirate books, by the way) called Charby the Vampirate. I enjoy Charby actually. He's not a typical vampire, in any means/steriotype.

Now for me, I am interested in were-wolves and therianthropes (try saying THAT three times fast.) I love shapeshifters. Yes, I know vampires have the ability to change shape, but its not the same. But for those who enjoy shapechangers as well, there's the Kiesha'ra series. There are five books, each from a different character's point of view.

Anyways, I'm done, enjoy

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Yeah, I guess he better stick with Even More Fabulous Adventures of Sparkles the Vampire .
            I just broke the "dont drink while reading this site rule" thanks to you. I can't wait to share that with my bf when he gets home ;D
            No, I do not work here, yes I am open, No, it is not free, every item we had "in the back" has been eaten by drunken sailors. Now that we've covered the basics, how may I help you?

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
              haven't read the books yet - not sure if I want to. Have watched the movies - fairly entertaining, but I must admit I've always been a werewolf kind of gal.
              If you want a good series of books with Werewolves in it, read Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon sometime.

Up front I'll admit, Eclipse was actually my favorite of the books and the movie wasn't all that bad either. But my favorite characters in the Twilight Series are and forever will be Alice and Jasper.

I think the books were well written and if Stephanie had come from the angle of trying to depict a codependant, domineering and manipulative couple on the verge of holy matrimony it would have been a more honest marketing campaign. Instead we get a story that's sold as a "Teen Romance". And any guy that ever treated my sister the way Edward treats Bella had better be wearing iron briefs, because my sister is more of a Sookie Stackhouse or a Buffy than a Bella. (Oh, and she has four older brothers, myself included who will have a fun time with what's left of him)

Comment

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                Up front I'll admit, Eclipse was actually my favorite of the books and the movie wasn't all that bad either. But my favorite characters in the Twilight Series are and forever will be Alice and Jasper.
                Personally I loved Breaking Dawn. At least the first half of it. No spoilers for any that don't know the plot and might actually still care to read/watch one day, but I found I could NOT stop listening to the audiobook throughout the first half. Once Bella *spoilers*, though, it got boring REAL fast.

And Jasper is by FAR my favorite character! I like Alice, too, but I didn't like her enabling Edward's controlling of her, especially in Eclipse.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  Irv, I....I think I love you!
                  You love me and you know it.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I saw a sad sad thin at Dragon*Con this year. A line a mile long mostly full of 40+ yr old women acting like teenagers!
                    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                      Everytime I hear about crazy fans, I think about the scene in "Trekkies" where the woman who was obsessed with Brent Spiner (Data) was going through her album. For some reason, I half expected her to say, "And this is the restraining order he put on me".
                      When I first started reading this, that is not where I thought you were going. I thought you were going here: http://www.myvideo.de/watch/127096/S...SNL_Get_A_Life

No. Ninja pirates.
                      Captain Jack Sparrow....in a ninja costume. Interesting....

Quoth NateTheChops View Post
                      If you want a good series of books with Werewolves in it, read Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon sometime.
                      Actually, that's one of there Were-Hunter books. And the Were-Hunters, Dream-Hunters, and Dark-Hunters seem to all exist together.

My favorite of her characters though is Acheron. Love me some Ash!

You love me and you know it.
                      Yes, yes I do. I admit it. There? Are ya happy?
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I have neither read the books nor watched the movies, but after having someone rather neutral break down some of the interactions that take place, I'd really rather avoid it all. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of such obvious Mary Sue stories, even my own. Particularly my own.

But, yeah, that guy was totally using his girl for a beard.

Quoth Treasure View Post
                        I do however watch TrueBlood, haven't read the books, but feel that TB is what Twilight wishes it could be - Darker, grittier, more sinister, better (imo).
                        The books are a whole lot better than the show, although the show's pretty good, too.

I'm kinda sad that Blood Ties didn't last.

Quoth slipknotpsycho
                        i love True Blood, also...but for me, the best vampire stuff around is Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles...too bad my hometowns library sucks, and i don't have the money to buy em all
                        The start is better than the end, I think. She gets way too tied in with her Mayfair Witches stuff, and it just gets all way too incestuously indulgent on that side for my tastes. I still maintain that The Mummy is her best book.

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
                        Sometimes you just need to know "he shrugged", not "he shrugged uncertainly". We KNOW a shrug is uncertain...
                        Not always. *shrugs ambivalently*

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        Having monsters fight each other isn't anything new. Some of the early mythological stories even had heroes who were smart enough to set their monsterous enemies at each other while they crept away with the prize.
                        I actually wrote up most of a story that I had planned to tell for a Vampire game that involved a monastery that was run by Werewolves. It was playing on that classic rivalry, hatred, and distrust. I even had full lines for whether the vamps slaughtered or parleyed with the weres.

Never got to run it, though.

Quoth Lady J'ssem View Post
                        I'm not a fan of vampires. Never have been. I write about them, I sometimes rp them, given the right motivation. But I don't like them. Forgive my humble opinion but in my view point, they are just parasites. That's just how I see them.
                        I have a friend that used to feel the exact same way.

... but she's a huge Hellsing fan. Go figure.

And there is a webcomic out (for longer then the Vampirate books, by the way) called Charby the Vampirate. I enjoy Charby actually. He's not a typical vampire, in any means/steriotype.
                        Don't forget that the artist is awesome, too.

Now for me, I am interested in were-wolves and therianthropes (try saying THAT three times fast.) I love shapeshifters.
                        You might want to see if you can find The Chronicals of Mavin Manyshaped (a trilogy that has also been released in an omnibus edition) by Sheri S Tepper. I wish you much luck, however, as they are long out of print and a bit on the rare side. I happen to have a set given to me by my old boss in one of his many moments of awesome.

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Captain Jack Sparrow....in a ninja costume. Interesting....
                        There's a bunny-eared Jack Sparrow that attends furry conventions here in California. I'm pretty sure he actually works at Disneyland as one of their Jacks. He's really good at it.

I prefer my vamps to be more classically monstrous and not quite so much the romantic lead, even if I do end up reading a lot of the latter. More Strahd von Zarovich and less Lestat de Lioncourt.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                        X