X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
    Me like male nurses. They're hawt.
    My favourite uncle looks eerily like this guy:

And he was a psychiatric nurse his entire career (retired now).
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
      WTF is a blind stick? If I'm not at least resonably convinced a vein is in there, I'm not sticking it.
      If you're injecting radioactive dyes that can cause extravasation, I would certainly hope not!

But if I'm starting a saline lock, or doing simple flebotomy, and I can't see a vein (a common problem with the obese or very dark skinned), I'll go based on feel and knowledge of anatomy.

Failing that, knowledge of anatomy (hence the "blind stick"). And actually, it isn't as hard as it sounds. Most of the time I'm successful on the first stick. If I'm not it is either because the vein is simply too deep (possible) or too fragile (if the patient is very sick or old). But at the least, I'll get flashback (blood in the vacuum chamber telling me I hit the vein).
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        But if I'm starting a saline lock, or doing simple flebotomy, and I can't see a vein (a common problem with the obese or very dark skinned), I'll go based on feel and knowledge of anatomy.
        I would go for a vein I could feel but not see before one I could see but not feel.

Quoth Panacea View Post
        Failing that, knowledge of anatomy (hence the "blind stick"). And actually, it isn't as hard as it sounds. Most of the time I'm successful on the first stick. If I'm not it is either because the vein is simply too deep (possible) or too fragile (if the patient is very sick or old). But at the least, I'll get flashback (blood in the vacuum chamber telling me I hit the vein).
        I hate getting that inital flashback and then the blood just stops. I did see a tech do a blind stick once. Personally, I'd rather call IV therapy since I'm not quite good enough to pull one off myself. And I wouldn't want to blow/miss the one good vein a patient has.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Practice, practice, practice

The more you do them, the better you get at it.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            My sister (4th year Osteopathy student) and one of my cousins (cardiac care nurse) have a great saying about the difference between a doctor and a nurse.

A doctor gets all the understanding of WHY things happen the way they do. The hard science behind disease and injury, and the mechanisms of repair. They are there for diagnosis, and to specialize in the details that sometimes get overlooked in the grand scheme of an illness (or in health).

A nurse understands the HOW of disease and injury. How to properly administer the treatment. How to keep the patient in the condition necessary for treatment. How to talk to the patient without using all the big, scientific words. How to care for the patient on a daily basis.

Both are necessary, for each performs a different function for the patient.
            I've always put it more simply: Doctors treat the ailment, nurses treat the patient. (Or: Doctors treat the body, nurses treat the soul.)
            And yes, both are necessary components of health care!
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
            X