This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because I'm buying ramen..

..does not mean I'm poor. Well, okay, I'm am watching my money, but who isn't these days?

I just happened to stop by the store by my house (why oh why do I still shop there if they're so shitty, I have no idea). I decided to pick up some stuff for cheap Chinese - basically ramen, cheap cut of beef, some baby corn and water chestnuts.

So I walked up and down the main area about 4 times before I finally asked an employee where the ramen is. Most people would assume that the ramen wold be in the Asian food aisle or where the pasta is.

Not this store. Apparently in this store, the place for ramen is near the mashed potatoes mix. I don't get the logic, but I also don't get why the guy had to assume I was poor, as evidenced by his repsonse - "Oh you mean the poor people's noodles?"

Yeah, so they're less than 20 cents a pack. I like ramen. I don't get it a lot since it's really salty, but for my cheap Chinese, I don't use the packets, so I don't have to worry about that.
    Random conversation:
    Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
    DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Report him to his supervisor, thats ridiculously rude. I use ramen for my chinese cooking because they're cheap and easy. And ramen is always with the prepared foods, i've never seen it in the ethnic/chinese aisle.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I LOVE Ramen, and it doesn't have to be salty if you avoid using the flavor packets that come with them. My favorite (cheap!) soup is to take chicken backs/necks (get 'em at an Asian grocery store for less than a buck for 2 necks & 2 backs) and toss in some carrots, onions, celery, garlic, pepper, and let simmer for a couple hours. Strain the stock, then bring to boil and add the noodles. Its fantastic and very good for you.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
        Report him to his supervisor, thats ridiculously rude. I use ramen for my chinese cooking because they're cheap and easy. And ramen is always with the prepared foods, i've never seen it in the ethnic/chinese aisle.
        I know DDD's store had it in the ethnic aisle for the longest time, but I think with the last reset, it moved elsewhere. I know with the other places I've shopped (like Aldi's and Save-A-Lot), I've found it in the pasta aisle. I think it depends on either the company or the manager of the store.

I got his name as I was checking out as he passed by the checkstand I was at and I heard someone holler out his name. I'm going to call the corporate office on Monday. I know they don't like complaints. My last complaint was several months ago when one of the deli workers ignored me after I made my order in favor of chatting with his co-worker for close to 5 minutes. I finally gave up and walked away and he never noticed.
        Random conversation:

Comment

On the ramen tangent... You should try fried ramen sometime....basically this.

Cook the noodles in plain water till they are just starting to get soft (you want to be able to pick them up in a square still), remove ramen and place into a wok or skillet with a little bit of peanut oil and your favorite veggies...I like zucchini, carrot and water chestnuts ((you can use regular oil but the peanut or sesame oil add a TON of yummy flavor)). Then in the pan you used to cook the ramen keep just enough water so you have about a cup or less (per flavor packetie goodness) and make a thick sauce. Add that to the wok and fry it all up till the juice is almost gone.

.....seriously yummy.... if you feel adventurous you can ditch the flavor packets and go for actual broth instead... but I normally stick with the packets cause it is cheaper.

^_^ Sorry, figured if we were talking about ramen and cheep food I'd throw it out there, because plain ramen gets old after a while.
          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
          -Red

Comment

Nah, it's good. I like trying new things and new ways of making everyday items. I started using ramen for my Chinese food a long time ago because it was there. I figured what the heck and it's been like that ever since.
            Random conversation:

Comment

Lower your sodium intake (the main problem with the ramen packets) and preserve the flavor by getting some inexpensive broth (chicken, beef, whatever) and cooking the noodles in the broth instead of the water and packet. To add an interesting oriental flavor, add a teaspoon of sesame oil as it cooks, and to spice it up a little sprinkle of crushed red peppers. You can also add some diced carrots and/or some frozen peas.

Yeah, by the time you do the broth and the oil and the peppers it's no longer fast food... it's coming close to actual cooking... but it is still quick and easy and tastes good, too.
              Last edited by EvilEmpryss; 09-18-2010, 12:01 AM.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post

Yeah, by the time you do the broth and the oil and the peppers it's no longer fast food... it's coming close to actual cooking... but it is still quick and easy and tastes good, too.
                O.O that sounds really yummy... .I may try it tonight....
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

I love ramen...and I'm not what you would call "poor". I like the way it tastes, and I often use it as a side dish.
                  I also wish there was an asian grocery store near me.

Comment

Apparently if you use "better than bouillon" instead of the flavor packet, it's better for you AND tastes better.

If I called Ramen anything, it would be the college students' meal. I know waaay too many students here who subsist almost entirely on Ramen!
                    "And so all the night-tide, I lie down by the side of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride!"
                    "Hallo elskan min/Trui ekki hvad timinn lidur"
                    Amayis is my wifey

Comment

Mix scrambled eggs into the drained noodles and you even have breakfast!
                      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

There was a point in my life where I lived on Ramen noodles and PBJ.

So what? Peope shouldn't be made to feel ashamed of what they eat.

And like everyone else here, they're great as a side with Chinese food I make a home made sweet and sour chicken that I pour on top of the noodles.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                          So I walked up and down the main area about 4 times before I finally asked an employee where the ramen is. Most people would assume that the ramen wold be in the Asian food aisle or where the pasta is.
                          I've always seen it with the soups.

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
                          On the ramen tangent... You should try fried ramen sometime....basically this.
                          Or try breaking it up, spreading it on a cookie sheet, stick it under the broiler, and toast it. Gives it a really nice, nutty flavor and makes it really crunchy. I usually toss it into a chef salad. Some of it on the bottom does soak up the dressing and softens, which is really tasty, too!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Guy was a jerk. What is wrong with wanting to stretch one's money? Especially considering the economy is as smoked as Cheech and Chong's herb of choice?

And I like ramen. It's good, cheap, and no muss or fuss. I'm a bachelor cook, need I say more?
                            Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

There's more than a few cookbooks out there with ramen as a central point. In fact, my roomie has one. I might very well try some of these recipes at some point... 'specially the toasted noodles one.
                              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                              X