This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd be the worst employee ever

I hear a lot of stories about never wearing a red shirt to the Bullseye because you'll be mistaken for an employee, but I encountered a customer who stretched that logic even further.

I was in a higher scale shoe store with my mother. Not quite "you can't even afford to window shop here" level, but a few steps up from a Foot Locker. Because I don't always handle crowd sounds well and shoe stores are only slightly more entertaining to me than a grass growing convention, I put headphones on while waiting for mom to finish, while also walking up and down the aisles just so I didn't feel like I was planting myself somewhere I'd be in the way.

I was also dressed in an anime t-shirt, jeans, and brightly colored sneakers far off what this store would sell. Not exactly the shining image of this place's demographic.

I'd stopped to look at something when I heard a voice behind me, so I paused my music, pushed my headphones back, and turned around, not sure what they were asking but assuming it'd be rational.

Customer: Where are the sandals?
    Me: Huh? *not quite comprehending because that is not a phrase I was expecting*
    Customer: Where are the sandals?
    Me: Oh, I... I don't know. I don't work here.
    Customer: Really? I'm sorry! *wanders away*

I hesitate to call her sucky because she wasn't rude and she did apologize, but someone please direct me to this mythical job where I can wear anime t-shirts and listen to my iPod all day and still get paid!

Backroom just about anywhere (though not sure about the ipod).
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Not at the swamp. Have to be in uniform because there's no way I'm going to be spending the entire shift back there. And the ipod would be very much verboten.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Could the person addressing the OP see the anime t-shirt or the iPod and ear buds? An awful lot can be hidden from the back of a person...

Comment

When I used to manage a fast food restaurant, I'd sometimes go shopping at Walmart after my shift in the same clothes I wore to work - black slacks, green or light blue long-sleeved short, black sweater vest, and tie with the company logo on it (and in winter, a black jacket with the company logo and my name on it.) Nothing like what any Walmart employee would ever wear, in other words.

I would get asked where stuff was at least once a visit.

Comment

I think that anyone who works in a retail establishment emanates an aura of retailness which customers can pick up on.

I once was stopped in a supermarket by an SC. At the time, I'd just taken my motorbike to the garage for a service, so was dressed in motorbike leathers and carrying a crash helmet. The SC snapped at me, "You! Go and get me some milk!" I snapped back, "Get it yourself!", thinking that she was just a rude idiot. She then went and got the manager, whining about how I'd been rude to her and that she wanted me fired. The manager nearly wet himself with laughter, then told her that I didn't work there.

I'd love to know which supermarket has as its uniform bike leathers.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
              ... I'd love to know which supermarket has as its uniform bike leathers.
              Ha Lee & Da Vee Sons.
              Last edited by dalesys; 10-28-2015, 01:24 PM.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

.....Buzzfeed?

Comment

Yeah, I know, I'm wearing a dark blue t-shirt in a walmart. It has on it a pin-up styled woman dressed in the stars and stripes, sitting on a martini glass with the words, "Never Shaken" under it. I'm a woman. I stole my hub's Tshirt.. oh, who am I kidding, I like the mens' shirts better anyways! They last longer, tend to have the kind of graphics I like and aren't all cheerfully colored in eye-blinding colors.

Yeah, I can direct you to something further down, like I just did for the kindly soul who said, "I know you don't work here, but do you know where they might keep X?" I helped her out because she was POLITE. She said her please an' thank yous. She realized I was doing this completely out of the kindness of my heart. You, however, bleated your demand at me like a demented sheep who is in bad need of shearing. You also demanded I take you to whatever it was a matted mess needed. "I don't work here," was all I said, before I turned and walked away, giggling inside.

I have no idea whether she got a manager or not. I also didn't care whether or not she got the "hint" that I didn't work there. I wasn't being paid to deal with that shit and I had no interest in starting shit either. She'd die of an aneurysm just fine without me.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I've noticed a few stores around here have the same colored polo shirts, so even with a coat they can see the collar if they look and I'm not wearing a scarf or my hair down. I was at a grocery store and a lady marches up to me and says "Where are the--- Oh." And she just stomps off, I felt bad for the whoever she found to help her, as she seemed really pissed.

I've heard customers ask other customers at my work questions. It's almost funny, until I have to hear them complain about how there are no staff. Maybe if everyone bought more than a .50 spool or ribbon, or a skein of embroidery floss for .29 which they will use a coupon on, and then return because it's not the right color.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Before my favorite hobby shop closed, I was constantly having people ask me for things. Mostly because I was always there on weekends...but also because I was occasionally behind the counter. I didn't work there, but I was a regular, and the owners trusted me. They tended to take care of people who would buy the odd stuff (like 1980s Japanese car kits) that nobody wanted. So basically I had access to the "restricted" areas--behind the counters, store rooms, and the attic. In fact, that's how I came away with a rather nice 1/12 scale Tamiya Porsche 924...but I digress.

Now, I'm no expert, even though I've been building models for over 30 years. But, I do know a fair bit, and don't mind helping someone out if the owner is busy. You name it, I've probably built it.

Most of the time, the people needing help, are older (usually grandparents trying to buy a kit for their grandchild) and have the "look" on their faces. You know the look--the "holy crap what am I getting into" look. They'd stand there, eyes wide open, before asking for help.

Nothing too hard about that. All I'd do is ask "has he/she built a model before?" "What is he/she into--sports cars, trucks, etc." Then I have a rough idea--if the child has never built anything before, I mention the snap kits. If the child has, I recommend simple kits with little cutting or gluing.

But, this one woman? She came in, dressed to the nines, and started barking orders at everyone--myself included. The owner was busy, so she started pestering everyone else for assistance. Every kit option presented to her was "crap," so I can understand why people were getting fed up with her...before the owner came over and tried to help. I wouldn't have minded helping her, if she wouldn't have been so damn rude.

He was doing his best, but I could tell he was getting tired of dealing with someone from Uppity St. Clair, and there's a reason that township is called that. Like many residents of that area, they act like everyone else is beneath them, and will treat other accordingly. Needless to say, he told her to get lost
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

-grins- I used to work for my local Mart of Wals so once in awhile when I go in there, a customer who recognizes me will ask me where something is and then look at me in shock when, after pointing them in the right direction, I mention that I don't work there anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X