This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I will not break the law for you.

Ok, this is more an anecdotal story than one that actually happened to me, but still involves a sucky customer and a decent dose of pwnage, so I thought it worth putting up here.

GSE: Game Store Employee (friend of mine)
    MOTY: Mother of the Year (/sarcasm)
    FOTY: Father of the Year (/more sarcasm)
    MOTYC: Mother of the Year's little monster... erm I mean CHILD. Child is aged maybe 10 or 11.

-------------------------------------

MOTYC and MOTY enter the store, the kid running to one of the shelves and picking up a copy of The Witcher 3, which is rated R18 here (by law it is ILLEGAL in NZ to sell a restricted game to someone under the listed age or to knowingly sell to a third party that is buying it for an illegal party)
    MOTY take the game up to the counter and attempts to buy the game
    GSE: Sorry, I can not sell that, as it is an R18 game and he is clearly a minor.
    MOTY: What? But I'm the one buying it, not him!
    GSE: Doesn't matter, he picked up the game, the security cameras here have recordings that anyone who views them will clearly discern that he is the one it is being purchased for. I'm not willing to sell this to you.
    MOTY: This is such [censored]. This isn't the end of this.

MOTY and MOTYC leave the store. GSE is cleaning up around the store and sees MOTY and MOTYC outside about 5 minutes later, talking with a man (FOTY), who nods and wanders into the store a few minutes later, picking up the exact same game.

FOTY: I'd like to purchase this game please.
    GSE: (Deciding to go for the grand effect) That will come to $10,119.95.
    FOTY: What the [censored]?!?
    GSE: $119.95 for the game, $10,000 for the fine our store will incrue for violating the Publication Classification Act, namely for knowingly distributing restricted material with the knowledge of it being intended for a minor. I saw you conversing with a mother and child that were in here not 10 minutes ago attempting to purchase that exact same game. You have a choice. You either pay $10,119.95 or you leave.
    FOTY: But I'm buying it for myself!
    GSE: The charge has now gone up to $35,119.95 - $119.95 for the game, $10,000 for the fine the company will incrue and $25,000 for the wages I will lose when I lose my job for knowingly breaking the law and selling the game to someone that intends to supply it to a minor. Care to lie to me again sir? I'm happy to bump the cost up another $25,000 or so.

FOTY finally realises he is fighting a losing battle and storms out.

My friend told his manager about what happened (and even filled him in on how he handled it) and was told that he had their full support. MOTY/FOTY have apparently not phoned to complain yet though.
    Last edited by EricKei; 11-04-2015, 07:37 PM. Reason: edited inappropriate term for kids
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Your friend reads Acts of Gord, doesn't he.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Classic pwanage indeed!

Wish more places could get away with things like this but corporate would pitch a fit..

Comment

Beautifully handled!
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Haha, pwned

Comment

Truthful and beautiful. A deadly combination.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

That is truly awesome.
              I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

I think I posted someplace on here before about how I'd go hang out with my friend at GS and I'd do the same think at Englishtown too, I'd see a kid pick up GTA or another age inappropriate game and while the parent was in front of me I would say exactly what was in the game (plus a few things that weren't like full on nudity and/or sex) to help sell the obvious fact that it wasn't for anyone under 18. And just like GS does we required a driver's license as proof of age at the flea market, we got cursed at and received death glares from parents and kids but it would be better if actual stores were allowed to do this too.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  "Door's to your left."

Comment

I think even the Almighty Gord would approve of the PWNZER being delivered here.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Dear MOTY/FOTY, the internet is a wonderful thing. Not only can you purchase age restricted materials basically on the honor (haha....) system, but you could also do the responsible thing and preview some of the game to see if it's something you want your little darling playing. Witcher 3 has been out for awhile so I'm sure YouTube and Twitch have someone doing an entire playthrough for your enjoyment.

Note: Jedi does not endorse buying age restricted products for minors.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                        I miss the Gord. Is he still in Korea, or did he move back to Canada yet?
                        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                          GSE: $119.95 for the game, $10,000 for the fine our store will incrue for violating the Publication Classification Act, namely for knowingly distributing restricted material with the knowledge of it being intended for a minor.
                          Sounds good, I'll quote scammers the prep fee plus the penalty from now on.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                          X