This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Unknown Name Customer

And by that, I mean a customer who didn't know his own name.

I live in Tennessee, where its not uncommon for someone to not know a road name (That o'er yonder pas' 'teh tractator). But damn.

On the phone:
    Me: Thank you for calling (company), this is UnholyPet, what can I do for you?
    Guy: I wanna order (order such for a pick-up)
    Me: Okay, that's (order) for $xx, and a pick-up?
    Guy: Yeah.
    Me: I just need your name to verify when you come in.
    Guy: Ummm... dehhh...
    Me: ... o_0''
    Guy: MmmmmmmMMMMMMM....teh... dum.. TAYLOR.
    Me: Okay x_x

First time for me. Now I know why you all think its so odd =p

Actually I have been guilty of this before.

My first name is really long and complicated (5 syllables---thanks, Dad!) and I have learned to just not give it out when ordering something. Either a friend gives their name or I make up a name. I now have a set name that I give whenever I encounter that situation, but it took me a while to figure that out.

The guy may have been ordering something for someone else to pick up, and perhaps he hemmed over giving his name or the pickupee's name.

Or, he may have just been a moron. God knows there's no shortage of them in the world!
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post

Or, he may have just been a moron. God knows there's no shortage of them in the world!
      I would say a moron......more chance of that being true.
      My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

I had one of these at the Video Store where I used to work. A woman came up to rent a movie.

Me: Do you have your membership card?
        Her: No.
        Me: That's OK, I can look it up. What's your last name?
        Her:
        Me: Do you know your last name?
        Her:
        Me: How about your first name?
        Her:
        Me: Well, I guess I can't really help you then.

Comment

I have the same problem as PhoneGoddess. I have a very unusual surname that I have to spell out to people. Not good if I'm trying to book a doctor's appointment (either in person or over the phone)! But Taylor - come on! How can you forget that?!
          Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

Quoth Moonlight View Post
            I have a very unusual surname that I have to spell out to people.
            Me too, I've gotten into the habit of spelling it whenever I give it out. I say "Smith S-M-I-T-H" except with my real surname of course.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
              Me too, I've gotten into the habit of spelling it whenever I give it out. I say "Smith S-M-I-T-H" except with my real surname of course.
              Hehe I've threatened to change my surname to Smith. No doubt I'd still have to spell it out for people! :P
              Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

People sometimes ask me how to spell my surname, just in case I spell Smith with a Y or something.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Moonlight View Post
                  Hehe I've threatened to change my surname to Smith. No doubt I'd still have to spell it out for people! :P
                  Acutally my father changed his surname. The original version was 13 letters long and perfectly easy to pronounce if you speak Polish, which most Australians don't. The "new" version is spelled as it's said and said as it's spelled and still people get it wrong. Including only looking at the first three letters and writing Williams.

Comment

Working...
                  X