Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our family met two of the runners up to biggest loser at our local gym a few years back. It was a husband and wife couple, and I recall REALLY disliking the wife at the time from the show. The seemed fairly normal though in person. Hell, we ended up being the last ones there and just shot the crap with them for a good half hour after the room cleared out. I live a sheltered life .
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

MUCH JEALOUSY!). I am a huge fan of Mr. Combs. He was awesome as Commander. Shran (ST:E), Weyoun (STS9),
      I remember the character Weyoun! Totally creeped me out, I always wanted a shower after watching him. That's not meant as criticism - Combs did a fantastic job. But what really floored me was when he also played a Ferengi (I forget the character's name). I didn't realize it was him until the credits at the end of the show. Not because of the makeup - sometimes you can still recognize an actor even with heavy makeup and prosthetics - but just because he was so thoroughly Ferengi that no trace of Weyoun could be seen. Damn good actor.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I was little (like 6) we went to California for vacation. My grandfather was a college professor and had taught and maintained a friendship with Dan Blocker, so we got passes to the set of Bonaza. I met Lorne Greene, Michael Landon, Pernell Roberts, Victor Sen Yung, and had dinner at Dan Blocker's HOUSE and swam in his POOL!!!!

Another time when I was a child, we went to Washington DC and someone (I'm not sure of the relationship to my family) got us an insider's tour of the White House. We saw LBJ, but didn't actually meet him.

As a teen, I lived overseas and went to boarding school in Switzerland. Attended classes with the Shah of Iran's boys, Wrigley's grandson, JP Morgan's granddaughter, and CS Lewis' great grandson. I also met Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

When I grew up, I had a job where I was one of the first people Scott Pelley ever interviewed. He was a new TV journalist at the time. That same job afforded me the opportunity to meet Stanley Marcus, of Neiman-Marcus fame.

I was a huge wrestling fan in the 80s and met many of the guys previously mentioned - all of the Von Erichs, King Kong Bundy, Andre the Giant, Rowdy Roddy Piper. So many of them died tragically

When I worked at Walmart, I rang up Dale Earnhardt Jr, but I didn't know who he was until all the other cashiers came running over to tell me!

And Bill Engvall is my cousin ;-)

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I remember the character Weyoun! Totally creeped me out, I always wanted a shower after watching him. That's not meant as criticism -
          I know, right?! Weyoun was such a smarmy prig. I loved to hate him. That, friends, is the sign of a great actor.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post

When I worked at Walmart, I rang up Dale Earnhardt Jr, but I didn't know who he was until all the other cashiers came running over to tell me!
            My only claim to fame is that my chiropractor's receptionist is married to Dale, Sr's brother Danny. And Danny would go shopping with her a bit so I would see them when I was cashiering.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

I worked at a big Children's Theatre for ten years, in various positions--audience services, and administrative support. Celebrities look good for being seen there, and basically, they have kids that need decent entertainment.

Here goes:

James Earl Jones
              Colin Powell
              Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick
              Tom Hulce (Amadeus)
              The Seattle Sonics, around the year 1999
              Harvey Fierstein (and the rest of the Broadway cast of Hairspray!--they were running lines
              Joel McHale (local actor at the time, with the rest of the cast of Seattle's Almost Live)
              Tom Skerritt (acted in some of the theatres around the campus)

I also spent some time with Adam Arkin, the son of Alan Arkin. He's in the tv series Fargo, and also Sons of Anarchy, Northern Exposure as Adam the really mean chef, and tons of other things. His daughter was in drama school, so he sometimes hung out with me at the coffee counter, talking. He seemed like a really attentive dad.
              Last edited by Employee28567; 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM. Reason: Oh Yeah...

Comment

I turned on Janis Ian...

...to a Heinlein short she hadn't read ("The Man Who Traveled In Elephants").
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I've met mostly basketball people and country singers for some reason.

Michael Jordan -- He's a jerk. Just not nice at all
                  Scottie Pippen
                  Dennis Rodman
                  BJ Armstrong
                  Steve Kerr
                  Rajon Rondo
                  Dwayne Wade -- one of my good friends from HS played with him at Marquette
                  Lebron

Pretty much everyone who played at Country USA up in Wisconsin between 2005-2009. My boyfriend at the time, his sister was a morning DJ for the country station in GB so she got us behind the scenes for everything.

Matt Kenseth -- He's from right outside my hometown.
                  Willie Nelson stayed at my hotel when he played in town. I'm pretty sure my parking lot still smells like weed. Never got to meet him though because he never left his bus.

Lots of random bands: 3 Doors Down, Sevendust, Simple Plan, Hoobastank, Andrew WK, Mark McGrath, Corey Smith

Comment

In Canada, I'd met Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, James Doohan, Vladimir Tretiak, and Glenn Anderson.

In Japan, I'd met Musashimaru (retired yokozuna/top sumo wrestler) and a child actress who's won an award for best supporting actress here in Japan, but I can't name, because she's someone I've taught English to and it would violate privacy laws and company rules.

Comment

Keith Carradine, when I was a baby.

I got to meet Chris Sabat at Wizard World Con one year, as well.
                      Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I've met Terry Pratchett, at a book signing of 'Only You Can Save The World' Such a dear man.

Also Frank Bruno, in Harrods of all places. I heard this laugh behind me and turned around, thinking 'That sounds just like OH MY GOD IT'S FRANK BRUNO!!!!' It was like walking up to Mount Everest. He gave me the gentlest handshake I have ever received.

And one of the Norwich City football team, when I was working for the city council. The (fairly posh and upmarket) part of the city where he lived was being included in a new residents' parking area, and he had come in to get his permit. Anyway I did it for him and off he went. Only after he'd gone, when two colleagues burst out of the back room squealing with excitement, did I find out that he was a 'well-known' soccer player... I didn't know his name then, and can't recall it now.

No, I'm not into sport. How did you guess?
                        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I met James Avery (Uncle Phil/Shredder), and Sir Terry Pratchett
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

The ones that spring to mind from the RPG/Gaming industry:

John Kovalic (Dork Tower)
                            Genevieve Cogman (In Nomine, GURPS Vorkosigan)
                            Phil Masters (GURPS)
                            ludo ergo sum

Comment

I've met and shook O.J. Simpson's hand. It was...weird.

Of the racing type I've met Jeff Gordon and gotten his autograph, Richard Petty and his family (They had gone to a restaurant my mom worked at... I was hanging out at the restaurant since her shift was almost over). There were a couple more but I can't recall their names right off the top of my head. I grew up in Homestead FL... Racing season was awesome!

Comment

I've been kissed by Hugh Jackman!
                                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                                X