This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird sighting

Ok, this wasn’t going to be my first post but just saw something monumentally disturbing...

So at my local Taco Joint (known for its least-Mexican, Mexican food...rhymes with shell) when a family of four comes into order ahead of me. The mother asks what the two children want and the respond quickly and with certainty (with pleases and thank you). She then orders for herself and husband, they then walk to a table. All four then sit and wait without saying a word staring into space.

Me and my co-worker ordered and waited.

Their order is ready and the father stands with jerk, goes the counter, ask for exactly 5 mild sauces (receives more but returns the extra sauces to the cashier), fills their drinks, and returns to the table. Then the family eats in total silence, not looking at each, finishes, and cleans the table and leaves.

Now this might not seem like a bad story but you have to have some context. Some about the family seemed off….like really off. Nothing about the way the acted and spoke seem natural at all. They had an “air of repression” around them and I wasn’t the only one that noticed. My co-worker as well noticed it too, even the cashier seemed bugged out by them. Never have I seen kids that young so…non active. I would say drugged but they were acting loopy, just dead inside? Speaking of which the father’s eyes were vacant to say the least. They seemed to have "made silence" (I'm sure the restaurant was a lot louder before they came in and got louder when they left).

And not a sucky customer post but definitely a weird moment/sighting sort of thing.

I think the "five mild sauces" moment may be the key indicator here. When the dad asked for five and received more, he did not take them. He instead refused and returned the extras. No deviation was allowed.

Now if that is the way this guy interacts with other adults, how do you suppose he enforces rules within his family? I'm guessing that there may have been a "Now you will behave and sit quietly while we are here." (Or Else) parental pronouncement.

I'm hoping that's all that it was.

Comment

France.

They come from France.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
        France.

They come from France.
        I was thinking something similar... Can't have been Beldar & Prymaat though, they'd have had 5 cases of hot sauce.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Stepford Family??

And I've never actually seen "Coneheads"...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

mjr - You should. The SNL skits, anyway -- other versions, not so much.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Read later in the paper, "they were real quiet people, and they kept to themselves"
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                Read later in the paper, "they were real quiet people, and they kept to themselves"

"The bodies of their victims had mild hot sauce packets on the ground next to them."

Comment

Hey follow-up to this that my co-worker mentioned, how they were dressed.

He said that the boy and girl had essentially the same clothes on as there parents. The boy had a sweater and slacks like his father and the girl blouse and skirt like her mother. Matching in the exact same color, he assumed they had just come back from a family picture or something. He spoke directly to the cashier and the lady said that they come in every once and awhile always dressed like that. The back crew calls them "The Smiths".

Comment

Well, could be they belong to some kind of smaller religious group (don't want to say "cult" because really, I don't know). But I don't know how often people like that go to fast food places. He might've returned the extra sauce packets because he knows they just won't use them. And maybe they had just had some kind of awful shock in their lives, like losing a loved one unexpectedly or in a violent manner. Just a thought.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh, my deities... you got the family that used to visit the Walmart I used to work at. The kids were unnaturally well behaved, all dressed in a similar fashion to their parents, with slacks, dress shirts, and sweater vests for the boys, and one piece dresses of the same color as the boys shirts for the girls. The kids would sit on the bench next to the entrance, with their father, while their mother would go through the checkouts.

They weren't so much cold, just not comfortable with the large, noisy, crowd. Between the clothing and the, again, unnaturally well behaved kids... they just stood right out.
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Sounds about right.... again it wasn't just how they acted. It was the feeling I guess they were giving off, just an un-nerving detachment. Like doing what they were doing was so... practiced and mechanical.

Comment

Working...
                        X