This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headdesk Before Breakfast

Hubs and I went to Golden Arches this morning for breakfast, since it was on the way to his doctor's appointment. I was running on only a couple hours of sleep and so I went and sat down while he ordered. This is what I overheard:

Hubs: [Two combos], please.
    Idiot Cashier (IC): And what to drink with those?
    Hubs: A Coke and a Dr. Pepper.
    IC: What was that?
    Hubs: A Coke and a Dr. Pepper.
    IC: I'm sorry, one more time.
    Hubs (slowly): A Coke and a Dr. Pepper.
    IC: A Coke or a Dr. Pepper?
    Hubs: No, a Coke AND a Dr. Pepper.
    IC: I'm sorry, you lost me.
    Hubs: Two sodas, please.

We've seen this cashier before there and she's not hard-of-hearing, I could hear Hubs clearly so he wasn't mumbling, and there wasn't a significant amount of noise since it was almost dead there, so this confused us greatly. How is a Coke and a Dr. Pepper complicated?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Are you in a place where it's common to use the word "Coke" as a general term for soda? That's my only slightly reasonable thought. Because then it would be like ordering a soda and a Dr. Pepper. Though don't most places let you fill your own cups, so it doesn't matter what kind? I don't go inside fast food places very often, drive thru is my friend.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I have found it difficult in fast food places to order one meal with two drinks. At McFeedbag when I order a meal and a drink I have to specify either "a second drink" or "an extra drink" to end up with two drinks. Somehow I don't think those folks are working their way through college. At least I hope not if they have trouble understanding simple food orders.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        I have found it difficult in fast food places to order one meal with two drinks. At McFeedbag when I order a meal and a drink I have to specify either "a second drink" or "an extra drink" to end up with two drinks. Somehow I don't think those folks are working their way through college. At least I hope not if they have trouble understanding simple food orders.
        I ccould totally buy that they're running on sleep dep autopilot if they're working their way through college.
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

I had a problem with my local Arches of ordering two of the same combo, but having to argue to get my second drink. I didn't leave the window until I got it too. I ordered it, it was on the receipt. She just kept saying, "No, you only had ONE." Screw your drive-thru times, if you're gonna argue over the proof!

"Yes, I said 'Both Dr Pepper.' Look, it shows TWO Dr Peppers on the receipt! Where is my second one?!" They had both windows going, so different person took the order, and I guess heard me pointing it out, because the girl's jaw finally snapped shut and she filled a second DP and handed it to me. All in view or I might have asked for manager. (I realized then that there was another soda, since this is the one that automatically fills the cups via the computer, sitting right next to mine. I'm betting it was part of my order, but she wanted it for herself.)
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I'm guessing lack of sleep (OP, not the drive-through girl who may or may not have been trying to scam a soda). Lots of cashiers are students who are trying to subsist on 2 hours of shuteye at least some days of the week. Their young bodies let them get up and get to work, but the brain tends not to cooperate without enough rest.
            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-11-2015, 03:52 PM.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

When I said "sitting next to mine," I should have said, "She only handed me one of the two that was sitting there waiting." The second one was never in my reach. I'm assuming it was also part of my order, since the computer is what drives the drive thru drink dispenser at this branch and both came off at the same time. She'd set them off the holder and put lids on both, but only handed me the one.

She then took on the attitude of "I'm done with you," ignoring me for a moment while I tried to get her attention. I had the receipt out and showed her where I had two.. but had only gotten one. She didn't even check the second one, insisting that I only ordered one. The other window must have clued her in, or a manager did, because she shut up mid-protest and made another one. I'd have chalked it up to computer error, except between the attitude and the argument.. Yeah.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

How is that hard to understand? "Two combos" means TWO meals, so isn't two drinks to go with them logical? Hmm...weird.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X