Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If my TV was out and my kids wanted cartoons, I'd give them some paper and pencils and tell them to draw their own...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth AriRashkae View Post

OMG! I want science to make it possible for me to have the babies of whoever made that comic.
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Ever wondered why we haven't ran into anybody from this site? Really, I wish that I could get one of the many understand people like you in my window. Though if that were the case, this site wouldn't exist... Hehe

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          Me too.

But then I'm old enough to remember when the TV had only 3 channels, it didn't run all day and all night, and some of it was still black & white.

I'm old enough too. In fact, you're describing my TV right now, more or less:

*three channels: CBS, NBC, PBS. ABC, sometimes, if I feel like twisting the rabbit ears into a half-hitch.

*Yep, rabbit ears.

*Does, in fact, run all night. CBS will be running a live feed from the weather radar, NBC has this crappy sub-QVC shopping network, PBS has instructional videos, some of which were used in various community college courses of mine. Which, of course, makes me feel so good about $4500 in student loans being paid off by clerking a gas station.

Never had cable growing up, lived for a year in an apartment with no TV and no desire to get one, have one now and it's almost never on. The cable company reps who troll around my apartment building just don't know what the hell to make of me.

Of course I'm single as hell and no kids now or any time soon. If and when that changes () I'm sure the neglected 13" rabbit-eared box will be the first casualty.
          "Love keeps her in the air when she ought fall down, let's you know she's hurting 'fore she keens...makes her a home."

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            I remember when we only had two channels over here,
            You were around in 1964? I didn't think you were that old.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Hmm - that's five years before I was born. I seem to remember BBC2 coming in, but I may be mistaking that for Channel 4.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                I remember when we only had two channels over here, and the national anthem played on the BBC channel when it turned off for the night.

Ah, sounds so good, doesn't it?
                At least your anthem sounds decent and is somewhat logical. Ours is based on a battle. A battle in a mostly pointless war. With the tune of a drinking song.

Though it could be interesting to hear the original lyrics done some time: "for-e-e-ver in-n-n-twine... the myrtle of Ve-e-nus with Ba-a-cchus' vine. Play ball!"

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  Ours is based on a battle. A battle in a mostly pointless war. With the tune of a drinking song.
                  To be fair, Ireland's is pretty close to that as well... especially the drinking-song part... of course, theirs sounds MUCH cooler than ours does.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                    Both the cartoon channels are out! I've got kids here, what am I supposedtoooo dooooo withhhhhhh theeeeeem?!!"
                    Um, maybe bond with them a little? Take them out for an ice cream, play a game with them, or just sit around and talk? Oops, sorry about that.... too many options would probably be more than the parent of the year's brain can handle.
                    "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                    ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Back in my day we used to do this thing called "playing outside and/or using our imaginations" when the cable went out. I mean, seriously, now wonder why kids these days are lazy and stupid. Their parents park them in front of crappy tv as a babysitter and feed them junk food while they're sitting there in a stupor. I don't know about anybody else, but when I watch TV, I watch the educational channels, like Discovery.

My house was in the black hole of television because you could get all of one channel on bunny ears! At my grandmother's house, you'd be lucky if you could get a couple of the stations out of Boston as well. I also grew up without a television in my room. We had one TV in the house and it was for everybody to use, so if mom and dad wanted to watch a show, they got priority since they were paying for it after all. Even now, my boyfriend and I only have one TV. Why do we need a TV in our bedroom? I guess I'm just old fashioned.

But, get this, where my boyfriend's parents live, they can't get cable TV, only satellite, which they opt not to get. You see the neighborhood kids playing out in that neck of the woods all the time because chances are they're too cheap to pay for satellite. I bet those people who use TV as a babysitter would go nuts if they lived there.

And I just found this gem of a comic from Queen of Wands that kind of relates to the people who get cable TV and don't pay their bill. I feel that it kind of relates to this thread.
                      Last edited by GolfCart34; 09-30-2007, 01:05 PM.
                      Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Hmm

I protest, he is an insult to douchebags...
                        ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                        Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                          OMG! I want science to make it possible for me to have the babies of whoever made that comic.
                          She's now doing Punch 'n' Pie, which chronicles the lovely woes of retail, waitressing, and lousy jobs in a good number of it's strips.
                          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
                            Even now, my boyfriend and I only have one TV. Why do we need a TV in our bedroom? I guess I'm just old fashioned.
                            I can think of only 1 good reason.

Shame on you. I was thinking 2 player VG tournaments.

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
                            And I just found this gem of a comic from Queen of Wands that kind of relates to the people who get cable TV and don't pay their bill. I feel that it kind of relates to this thread.
                            Great minds think alike!
                            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Working...
                            X