X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My newspaper!

Today I got a winner. A real winner.

A customer ordered something from me. Then said "I'll be back" (I hate this, it takes me under a minute to complete an order). Apparently he left a newspaper and a *gasp* MCDONALDS cup on my counter. I didn't notice this, people leave crap on my counter all the time, I can't reach it or even see the lower portion of the counter, and our housekeeping staff comes by every 2-3 minutes.

Guy comes back nearly 10 minutes later (his food was stone cold by then). "Where's my newspaper and soda?". I ask him what he meant, he said he left a New York Times and a McDonalds soda on the counter. I told him somebody either picked it up or the janitor thought it was trash. I had left the counter for a few minutes anyway to bring stuff up from the back, so I hadn't seen if anybody had taken anything.

He flipped the fuck out, started yelling at me, etc. When he did this, first I pointed at the sign on the door that states "No outside food or drinks". Then I pulled $1.25 out of my pocket and put it in his hand and told him to go get a new paper. I was pissed, and wanted him gone.

He was too good for my $1.25 and demanded a manager. Manager told him he abandoned his newspaper by leaving it on my counter (for 10 minutes!) and there was nothing to do. Guy started storming around the store looking for the janitor (who doesn't speak any English), found him, and started cussing him out. I finally went to the janitor's trash, found his newspaper (now covered in multiple drinks and various food items), handed it to him with a huge smile, and told him he shouldn't leave it on a random counter if he wanted to hang on to it next time.

Yeah at that point, I was being an asshole, but this guy is a regular asshole who regularly chews people out for little shit - I've never liked him and never will. If someone flips out over a goddamn abandoned newspaper and soda from our friggin competition being thrown out, he has issues.

Quoth bean View Post
    Then said "I'll be back"
    Apparently, he hasn't learned the lesson taught in Scream. Never, never say, "I'll be right back!" As soon as the camera is off you, you're dead by the killer's hands.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Ugh, I hate that, I work in a bookstore so people are always leaving books and magazines in piles on the floor, tables, etc., and I am always trying to stay ahead by cleaning up after them (I applied for a bookstore, not a day care!). Anyway, occasionally you get someone freaking out because they left a pile of stuff somewhere, left, and an employee cleaned it up. If you really wanted those copies of People. US, Life & Style, and whatever other trashy magazines we have, why the hell did you walk away??

Anyway, only once has a customer gotten really nasty about it. I was walking through the store when I saw three books on a chair, no one around. I pick them up and place them on a cart to be reshelved. A few minutes later this woman and her teenage daughter come to help desk because someone reshelved their books.

Me: Oh, were they these books?

Woman: Yes! >snatches them from me<

Me: OK, here you go!

Woman: What, you're not even going to apologize?

Me: No ma'am.

Woman: WHAT?

ME: Part of my job description is keeping the store clean. I don't apologize for doing my job.

Woman:

Teenage Daughter: Mom, she's right, let's go.

Take that.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
        "Where's my newspaper and soda?". <snip> Then I pulled $1.25 out of my pocket and put it in his hand and told him to go get a new paper.
        I know newspaper prices are going up, but I didn't know papers were THAT expensive now (excluding Sundays).
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

ME: Part of my job description is keeping the store clean. I don't apologize for doing my job.

Woman:

Take that.
          Points for the teenage daughter for displaying a maturity her mom sorely lacked.
          "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            Anyway, occasionally you get someone freaking out because they left a pile of stuff somewhere, left, and an employee cleaned it up. If you really wanted those copies of People. US, Life & Style, and whatever other trashy magazines we have, why the hell did you walk away??
            Ooh, I hate those people. How hard is it to come to the desk, and politely say, "Can you hold these for a few minutes while I <go to the bathroom, get a coffee, run to the car, whatever>?" I will gladly take a post it, write "Hold" on it, and set them aside on the counter. (If they're still there at closing, though, bye bye.)

As for the newspaper guy, I say "tuff shite"
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              As for the newspaper guy, I say "tuff shite"
              Succinct.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Apparently, simply handing him $1.25 wasn't enough . . . maybe he wanted you to drop everything you're doing, leave the store and get the paper for him . . .

And, apparently, he was going somewhere that was so utterly important that he could fold up the newspaper and bring it with him (to the bathroom or not).
                This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Why is the world would you give him the 1.25??? He starts ranting and raving and he does it often?? "Doors to your left, use it."
                  GFY

Comment

Quoth MiloMorai View Post
                    Why is the world would you give him the 1.25??? He starts ranting and raving and he does it often?? "Doors to your left, use it."
                    I was actually doing it more as an insult - kind of a "I don't have time to listen to your shit, go buy a new newspaper and get the hell out of my face, getting you out of here is worth $1.25 to me" move. And I'm pretty sure he knew it, I was ready to smack him at that point.

Also, New York Times daily edition does indeed run $1.25 out here.

Hopefully he won't come in as often anymore, I hate dealing with him.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                      Also, New York Times daily edition does indeed run $1.25 out here.
                      Pretentious AND expensive.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post

Woman:

Take that.
                        GO DAUGHTER! I've noticed this happening quite often recently. Sometimes it's as simple as just an eye roll from the kid. Those crack me up, especially when the parent doesn't notice. Sometimes though the kid actually speaks up. There's nothing more gratifying to me than seeing a rude parent be taken down by their own progeny. It's always good to see kids who haven't been sucked in by their parent's idiocy.
                        "Any free samples?"
                        "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Maybe class and intelligence skips generations?
                          "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Bank Lady View Post
                            There's nothing more gratifying to me than seeing a rude parent be taken down by their own progeny.
                            Indeed! Major kudos to the daughter for being a non-sucky customer!
                            Quoth Marxfan View Post
                            Maybe class and intelligence skips generations?
                            Oh, I hope not! Otherwise, her kids are doomed!

PS: Marxfan, did you used to go by another screen name?
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I am just dumbfounded that this moron did not make you also give him his food for free, because you didn't keep it warm for him while he was gone!

Comment

Working...
                              X