This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit telling me you're sorry!

One of the kinds of calls I get is people who don't know what the charge is on their credit card statement. They call us, and we explain what it is. Approximately 25 percent of the time it's a fraudulent charge and we give them instructions on what to do (call your bank.) The other 75 percent of the time it's something they forgot they did. A lot of these people then tell me "I'm sorry." "I'm sorry for bothering you about this." I apologize for calling you."

Well don't!

Apologize, that is.

If you see a charge on your statement and you don't recognize it, you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS call and check it out. ALWAYS. Don't apologize because you were checking it out. Everybody makes minor mistakes on a daily basis...you probably just forgot to put it in your account register. Do not apologize to me because you were being responsible for your own finances (Gasp! Shock! Awe!) because quite simply, I get ranted at and abused all night long, and never get apologized to for that. It then irks me when responsible people call in and apologize for 'bothering me' and being perfectly polite. It's incredibly ironic and it drives me nuts. Stop apologizing to me for being sane, nice and responsible for yourself!

Rant over. Return to your regularly scheduled CS slappery.
    Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 10-01-2007, 12:09 PM.
    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

I'm sorry.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

...sorry...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

That's because the respnosible people who call in about a charge are down-to-earth, and well minded enough to apologize. They realize that they have wasted a bit of your time and feel bad about it. I'm sure that they are thinking, "Wow. Oops...that's all my fault. If I were in her shoes, this would really piss me off." While the people who actually make irresponsible mistakes aren't that empathic, therefore yell and bitch at you for no good reason.

It might get annoying, but accept the apologies with a, "No need to apologize, you were just doing the right thing by calling in." Once you tell them that, they don't feel so stupid anymore. Just let them know that anyone in their right mind would call in and check.
          Check out my cosplay social group!
          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Oh, Gabrielle, I know. I'm always nice to these people. It just frustrates me that my nicest callers are the ones who apologize to me...for nothing. I WANT them to call in and check what a charge is. Everyone should go over their statements every month and call on any charge they don't recognize.
            I tell these callers that they should ALWAYS call on a strange charge. Credit card theft is rampant today, and they don't need to be sorry that they are being responsible and want to know where their money is.

I was just ranting. That's what I come here for, after all, to get it all out. I'm not only taking college classes, but I spend my nights dealing with the dregs of humanity, and it all wears me down sometimes.

Tonight I had a guy rant and rave over the security verification. I spent 20 minutes on that anuscake. He cussed and ranted and yelled and bitched and moaned and complained how unfair it all was, and then when I finally got it over with he calmed down...and apologized for what his generation did to mine. (He was a baby boomer.) I was clueless why this was important, but okay, dude.

Comment

See, I don't apologize, unless it's a really time-consuming, mindless chore. And that's exactly what I apologize for: boring the rep.

usually, if it's something simple, even if it's a complaint, I end my part with "I hope all your calls are this easy today." I usually get a laugh and a fervent hope that it comes true.
              Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

"And don't apologise! Everytime I try to talk to someone it's 'Sorry this' and 'Forgive me that' and 'I'm not worthy.'"
                "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

These people make me smile, actually. I have customers who walk up all apologetic that they have this big mess to deal with. It usually ends up being only 2-3 transactions that take 2-3 minutes total. I always smile and make some comment like, "That's what I'm here for. You're the reason I've got a job." This usually puts a smile on their face too.

I love encouraging the nice customers. Yes, please come talk to me! You are the people who make having to deal with the SC's remotely bearable!
                  "Any free samples?"
                  "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                    Tonight I had a guy rant and rave over the security verification. I spent 20 minutes on that anuscake. He cussed and ranted and yelled and bitched and moaned and complained how unfair it all was, and then when I finally got it over with he calmed down...and apologized for what his generation did to mine. (He was a baby boomer.) I was clueless why this was important, but okay, dude.
                    Anus... cake???

There goes rule #1 again. But I was just in the mood for cheesecake, now you've ruined it! Waah I demand my bandwidth back etc etc...

At least the geezer apologized, most if not all SC's wouldn't.
                    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Anuscake is a word shamelessly stolen from the infamous Gravekeeper. He used it first and I have taken over management.

GK is also the one who once said, and I quote, Friggin' raging anal walrus!

Anything that comes out of his keyboard is bound to make you break rule #1.

Comment

Quoth chops View Post
                        "And don't apologise! Everytime I try to talk to someone it's 'Sorry this' and 'Forgive me that' and 'I'm not worthy.'"
                        Yes, my Lord.
                        *bows*
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Oh, I am with you 110% on this one.

As most of you know, I drive a tow truck. I have a scheduled shift Sundays - Thursdays from 3 - 11:30pm. I can't tell you how often I hear someone apologize to me for making me come out to help them! And they don't stop at just saying it once....they go on and on about how they feel bad for, esentially, making me do my job.

I tell them, don't worry about it - I get paid to do this - it's my job to come out here in any type of weather during these hours to help you!

The only thing I can think of why people continuously apologize to me is that they think I'm on call and they have pulled me away from cherished family time to come and help them.
                          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                          X